Satin Silver / RED
    02 Acura RSX/93 Transam

Power to 1/4 mile time comparison between 5.7's and new 7.0s, I'm confused!

I'm simply curious. Why is it that older engines, lets go back to LT1's, are capable of putting down better trap times with less HP than a stock LS7 C6 ZO6?? Now I know I'm comparing modifed to stock, but still. An 07 Z06 is cranking out an advertised 505 crank HP. With that its supposed to run, what, high 11's stock? All this while weighing several hundred pounds less than the LT1 powered cars. I see numerous people on this site pushing 350-400 HP at the wheels, so 400 some at the crank, running 12's or high 11's. All of this in a car that modifications included, can be had for less than a quarter of the cost of a Z06. Granted acceleration in a straight line is not the only measure of a vehicle by any means. I'm simply curious how a far cheaper, heavier car, making 50-75HP less, can run comparable or better times.

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

i could be completely wrong but i would suggest... gearing.. tires... etc?

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Your right, most people who run low 11s with 400-440rwhp have rear end gears and or drag radials, not to mention when people say 420rwhp or 440rwhp, that is about what the vette is making the c6 makes 505 at the crank and like 440 or so rear wheel, I have seen the new c6 with just headers exhaust and a tune with drag slicks and they will run mid to high 10s all day long.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I see we have a honda owner on here spying and doing its homework on its american competition.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Also if you put just slicks on the z06 it will run high 10s, with cam slicks, heads and exhaust with a tune they will run low 10s with a good driver and rear end gears and like a 125shot they can do 9s all day, if you put heads and a cam in a ls1 car with rear end gears and sticky tires you can run low 11s maybe high 10s witha good driver and setup if you do that to a new z06 your gonna be doin low 10s high 9s, thats the difference.

Satin Silver / RED
    02 Acura RSX/93 Transam

Thanks for the info. And yes, I'm doing my homework, as I plan to buy one of these beasts for a weekend car. Specifically looking for a M6 LT1, firebird or transam.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ziominix View Post
    Thanks for the info. And yes, I'm doing my homework, as I plan to buy one of these beasts for a weekend car. Specifically looking for a M6 LT1, firebird or transam.
    Nice, always good to hear that especially from honda drivers.

Satin Silver / RED
    02 Acura RSX/93 Transam

Well, fun to drive, good looks, and the company's impeccable reputation for reliability is what made the RSX an excellent college car for me. Not to mention the fuel efficiency. Plus we get quite a bit of snow up here, so FWD/AWD is practically a must for a year round car here. My first car was an 87 Porsche 944. So I'm not some diehard honda fan or anything, just convinced of this product. I'm a car enthusiast first and foremost, not brand loyal. I've got to enjoy driving something and have always generally appreciated superb handling to raw power if given the choice. I've got a bike for decent WOW acceleration, but I've driven enough cars with torque, firebirds, mustangs, a C5 vette, etc, to realize that its something I'd like to have, even if its not a practical daily driver.

but ANYWAY....... enough rambling

1/4 mile times are also dependent on TORQUE... Some older motors have different torque curves - down lower, and that can make a much bigger difference in 1/4 mile time...
    - 2002 Trans Am WS6 -
    - SOM - Custom HP Evos - Thunder Racing boltons & cam - LS1Edit tuning -
    - BMR suspension - LG Motorsports Brakes - custom interior - C5 mirrors - Webshots Pics

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Nothing against the LT1 cars because there are plenty that are extremely fast but I would set your sights on an LS1. Much better base to start with.
    Like everyone else has said for the 1320 times, it's the mods that are put on the f-body that keeps it somewhat ballpark. Put some slicks on a vette and let someone that knows what they're doing drive it like they stole it and those times will drop drastically.
    I think just having the comparison speaks volumes for the LS1's ability to perform when modded and the huge aftermarket supply there is for the LS1.

Thread Information