Possibly Looking for a WS6

Hey guys, I think I may be in the market for a WS6 soon, so just a few questions if you guys don't mind.

First off I am probably looking to spend 15,000 max. I know I will have to shop around for a deal, but what do you guys think I could pull off in that budget (miles/year). Also I would very much prefer to buy from a dealer so I can trade in my car now, but how hard are these cars to find at dealers now that there are no Pontiac dealers. I do not mind going out of state for the car.

Also what are some major things I should look for that could be wrong with car, or just common issues with these cars?

Although I am leaning towards a manual what are any advantages are there to the A4? I never learned to drive a stick but for some reason I want one.

This may be a tougher question, but what do the typical aftermarket warranties cost for the car?

I appreciate any input you guys can provide me with!
    Last edited by the727kid; 07-21-2009 at 06:20 PM.

Flame Red / Orange Custom
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by the727kid View Post
    Hey guys, I think I may be in the market for a WS6 soon, so just a few questions if you guys don't mind.

First off I am probably looking to spend 15,000 max. I know I will have to shop around for a deal, but what do you guys think I could pull off in that budget (miles/year). Also I would very much prefer to buy from a dealer so I can trade in my car now, but how hard are these cars to find at dealers now that there are no Pontiac dealers. I do not mind going out of state for the car.

Also what are some major things I should look for that could be wrong with car, or just common issues with these cars?

Although I am leaning towards a manual what are any advantages are there to the A4? I never learned to drive a stick but for some reason I want one.

This may be a tougher question, but what do the typical aftermarket warranties cost for the car?

I appreciate any input you guys can provide me with!
    Well back in 2003 i bought my 98 Trans Am for $14,000 it only had 53,000 miles and some rock chips on the front bumper, Things to look for check all of the boots for the ball joints and tie rod ends, if there is any damage you could have to replace it, also get under the car and check for- rust, sub frame damage, i.e. dents dings paint missing. Now make sure you check the subframe rail ends if the car has ever been rear ended or hit someone you will see it here they may be bent or kinked if it has been hit hard. now if you see any of this i would not buy the car because it will cost you a lot of money to put it on a frame machine to fix it. check the paint for sun fading if you see any it means the car has had a lot of time outdoors check dash for cracks and the seats for tears. one good idea is to look up in kelly blue book and see what T/A's can go for this could help out a lot in helping you find a price range that is good for you. Hope this helps and if you have anymore questions let me know.
    98 Trans Am Custom Paint, Ghost Skuls On Racing Stripe + Custom Front Lip, :MODs Tubular K-member, Tubular Upper and lower A-arms, Tubular Control Arms, 4:10's, Cam L-.567/.575 D@.05-.212/.218,1.85 Roller Rockers, P&P Heads, ARH Headers & HF Cats & Y-Pipe, SLP loudmouth catback, +'s

I made a list of problems to look for at http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116983

Check the windows, doors, and trunk, too. (Repeatedly opening and closing them.) My car has had problems in all three. My previous black car spent years in very bright sun, and I never noticed any fading. Factory paint jobs are done well, it seems.

I don't know if I have seen a WS6 car sold by a dealer, though plenty of other Firebirds are. Go to craigslist for low-priced Firebirds of all different types. Fewer Firebirds of any type were made in the last two years, I think, so independent of mileage probably older WS6 LS1 cars would be cheaper. My guess is that now any WS6 in decent shape with clean title would have to have 50,000+ miles on it to cost less than $15,000 and maybe 75,000+ for a convertible or other extras that some people crave.

RED
    2002 FORMULA

If you go in to buy a 7 year old car with a trade in you will not get anything for it. They might knock off couple hundred dollars, but they woulf knock it off anyway. Not like your buying a new car and trading in a 4 year old car. Dealer will have better qaulity cars, but there are not very many WS6 for sale. I had to drive 4 hours to pick up my Formula. Some people selling these things are smoking crack, guy 2 1/2 years ago had a 2002 convertible with 60000 and wanted 32000 for it. I got out of there before I laughed in the guys face. Good luck.

Flame Red / Orange Custom
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by rideon1200 View Post
    If you go in to buy a 7 year old car with a trade in you will not get anything for it. They might knock off couple hundred dollars, but they woulf knock it off anyway. Not like your buying a new car and trading in a 4 year old car. Dealer will have better qaulity cars, but there are not very many WS6 for sale. I had to drive 4 hours to pick up my Formula. Some people selling these things are smoking crack, guy 2 1/2 years ago had a 2002 convertible with 60000 and wanted 32000 for it. I got out of there before I laughed in the guys face. Good luck.
    WOW! man he was trying to rip you off damn, altho, hahaha, he probably has not sold it yet.

2002 CETA m6

If its from a dealer or a private seller, ask about the headlight motors. They will eventually malfunction.

I got my car about 6 months ago and the gears in my lights are allready going bad, time to go brass.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by clovenhooves View Post
    I don't know if I have seen a WS6 car sold by a dealer, though plenty of other Firebirds are. Go to craigslist for low-priced Firebirds of all different types. Fewer Firebirds of any type were made in the last two years, I think, so independent of mileage probably older WS6 LS1 cars would be cheaper. My guess is that now any WS6 in decent shape with clean title would have to have 50,000+ miles on it to cost less than $15,000 and maybe 75,000+ for a convertible or other extras that some people crave.
    Are you serious?

I have recently seen WS6s with 20-40k miles going for 12-14k.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

You should be able to find a really nice one for 15k. The newest of these cars is 7, going on 8 years old, and to alot of people these are just used cars.

It doesn't matter about Pontiac dealers going under, chances are you're not going to see a 7 y/o car sitting on a new dealer's lot anyway.

Only advantage to the A4 is that it's more consistant at the track, and is easier to drive in traffic. Other than that, the car will feel slower in daily driving, will be uninvolving to drive, and will get worse mpg than the M6.

And I'm not a A4 hater, I own one btw. It's good for what I use it for, but it IS kinda boring to drive at times. And the extra few highway MPG would be nice to have.

If this is a weekend car, DEF get the M6! It's tricky to learn to drive right, but worth it IMO.

I used to have one, it was fun, but I never could master how to launch it at the track. I had probably 2 dozen runs in, and my first run ever in the A4 car I matched the best run I ever had in the M6 car.

And IMO aftermarket warranties are a waste of money. The coverage is usually thin, and if you plan on doing any mods at all on the car, expect any warranty claims you make to be denied.
    Last edited by StuntmanMike; 07-24-2009 at 02:58 AM.

Bright Silver Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I just put my WS6 on "Classic car insurance" and they insured it for $14,000. It has 85,000 miles on it.
    2002 Silver Trans Am WS6
    Trans Am Nationals Heavy Modified Show Champion
    Great Lakes Regional Heavy Modified Show Champion
    http://community.webshots.com/user/silverbird43551
    http://thesilversurfer.phanfare.com

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Posted a list of things to look for in this thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...highlight=door

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    I just put my WS6 on "Classic car insurance" and they insured it for $14,000. It has 85,000 miles on it.
    What is Classic Car Insurance, I have a 63 Falcon I would like to insure.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    They always insure more than its worth private party. My 01 f4i totalled bike sells for 3-4k on the street, i got 5300 from insurance, i paid 3400. 95 formula destroyed in 2006, paid 5700 it had 34kmiles when purchased in 2005. Insurance paid almost 8k.

2011 Prius

Hmmm, are they better then lets say Geico? Also can anyone who knows about this type of insuarce PM me, I don't want to thread jack.

Thread Information