bluish purple
    2001 trans am ws6

Please Read Need Help

hey i just got a 2001 pontiac trans am ws6 and i want to buy the correct performance parts for this car for the best horsepower. this past monday another trans am pulled up next to me when i was parked and started telling me some ways to make my car better. he had told me that slp flows would give me the best legal loundness possible over magnaflow. also he told me that there is a better air intake system than k&n but i do not remember what that air intake is. i also heard that my automatic transmission is most likely to blow is that true?? i would appreciate any helpful ideas and tips. thank you

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Maybe a Volant CAI with the dual filters?

And the tranny won't "blow" if you don't abuse it (i.e., try to shift it yourself - the comp can think faster than you can so leave it in OD). And if it does it can always be rebuilt (barring catastrophic failure).

MagnaFlow is better than FlowMaster. Except for a lid most SLP stuff is overpriced junk.

Before you mod you need to determine what you want to do with the car.

SFC's, while not a "go fast" mod will help keep the twist-o-flex nature of the car in shape.
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Welcome to ls1 from EPA
    For what I heard slp makes the worst headers. Idk bout that
    But what I knw. That any longtube headers are ilegal in Cali. No matter what brand they are.
    Bout the intake you already have the ls6 intake mAnifold. Only 01 and 02 f bodys came out of the factory with that.
    He was probably tellin you bout the slp air lid. Which it is a good upgrade. And u can use the k&n filter but is not recommended
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

Yea i think hes an idiot. I have an automatic pushing a little more than stock and mine runs great.I dont drive like a grandma but i dont burn the tires at every light either. SLP is loud from what ive read. I have borla on mine and love it. Careful when u start to mod, its gets very addicting and VERY pricy.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Shit my bad I thought he was takin bout headers.
    I'm trippn lol

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Exhaust is subjective (buy what sounds good to you) All catbacks will reasonably add the same amount of power.
    For the intake side a lid is a lid (just get one). K&N is a waste of money.
    The slush box is weaker then the available Manual trans but should last a long time if maintained. Best mod for this is a stall convertor (and an auxilary trans cooler).
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

2002 Arctic White T/A Ws6islife's Avatar

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

ever since i have been on this site i have read to stay away fromt eh slp exhaust if you are thinking of gettin a cam, remember that loud means nothing. i have magnaflows and im sure others can say the same, they are very quiet at idle but when you want them to be loud, they will be very loud. When you get a cam it wakes up the exhaust quite a bit. Also when you start to mod make sure you look into support mods you cant just start throwing parts here and there.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by mexican4life650 View Post
    hey i just got a 2001 pontiac trans am ws6 and i want to buy the correct performance parts for this car for the best horsepower. this past monday another trans am pulled up next to me when i was parked and started telling me some ways to make my car better. he had told me that slp flows would give me the best legal loundness possible over magnaflow. also he told me that there is a better air intake system than k&n but i do not remember what that air intake is. i also heard that my automatic transmission is most likely to blow is that true?? i would appreciate any helpful ideas and tips. thank you
    -9 out of 10 guys on here will say magnaflow is better, i have SLP LM and i hate it.

-k&n is great, volant is another great one.

-compared to the 6 speed, the auto is slightly less reliable, but it's all about how you drive it.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

guy must have come from mustang land.

SLP =
    magnaflow =

performance mods for an auto.."the beast" sunshell stall converter 3.73 gears
    and THE MOST IMPORTANT mod ever. subfram connecters. and this is the ONLY item from SLP that i think is a good product. ...i guess a lid but i kinda think its a waste of money unless you really start too go nuts with the car

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by TmaxicanA View Post

SLP =
    magnaflow =

and THE MOST IMPORTANT mod ever. subfram connecters. and this is the ONLY item from SLP that i think is a good product. ...i guess a lid but i kinda think its a waste of money unless you really start too go nuts with the car
    Only time I bought SLP SFC's was shortly after I bought my (then new) 96 Z28 vert and then only SLP cuz nobody else made vert SFC's.

We've come a long way from 1996 regarding aftermarket support.

Also, I believe the OP has SLP FloPack intake tract, which takes cool air from in front of the radiator below the car. It's good until you hit deep water...

OP, can you comfirm this???? If this is what you have it's not that bad of a setup for drag racing.

And SFC's have ALWAYS been my 1st mod.

If you're gonna drag race the car then tranny mods (and a cooler - DUH!) are a MUST! I have done a boatload of mods to the tranny including "The Beast" stainless steel sun shell.

Mods to my car are in post #2 above...

To "TmaxicanA: I picked up .15 sec and 1.5 mph in the 1/4 mile going from a Volant CAI (no fresh air hood though) to an MTI smooth lid.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 09-08-2010 at 06:21 PM.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have the Volant and it works great after getting did of the restrictions from the WS6 hood. I have a slp powerflo exhaust and like it much better than my friends magnaflow but to each there own. Some people like bullet muffler dumped at the axle. Gotta buy what sound good to you.
    As far as the A4 tyranny my car has full exhaust, ls6 intake ported throttle body, 3.73's,a Volant cai, asp pulleys, and full suspension from springs, strut, sway bars, LCA's, a panhard and parts I probably forgot. My car has a aggressive street tune since the dyno tune sucked and my tranny has been retuned to shift harder, faster and hold every gear to 6k rpm. I drive my car like it's a rental with insurance and haven't broke anything yet. Now after the cam and stall next month maybe something will break. Only problem so far is a new set of diff gears every spring since the 10 bolt is weak and my 275/35r18 bfg nt's are sticky. So worry about the rear bit I cam tell you the auto can take a beating.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    I drive my car like it's a rental with insurance and haven't broke anything yet.
    I like your attitude. That's how I treat the 02. The more I race it the more it begs for more. It's like a race horse waiting for the next race...

2000 Trans Am

A Converter AND transmission cooler are really going to wake the car up but if you cant do them yourself it gets pricey. For starters I would recommend a lid, a ported and polished stock throttle body, or getting a catback and going from there. Even an under drive pulley is a nice start because it immedietly starts paying for itself with better gas mileage. You can do all these things at home with basic tools so they will help you start learning.

Research is key before you buy anything though. SOMETIMES you'll find the most expensive part isnt the best part.

Midnight Blue
    1998 Pontiac Firebird

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TmaxicanA View Post

SLP =
    magnaflow =

lol T -Max have rocked the boat in both of my back seats lmao= my other a 91' notchback 5.0 stang aod its not the sex its the autos and the wimpy rearends lol, i know i know rearends 9in for both my cars comin up short lol

black
    1998 trans am

hey you can give us a call at 606-422-8502 for any help that you might need.

Thanks,
    Mark

KYSpeed.com | FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING | PRICE MATCH | EMAIL

Kook's | American Racing Headers | Vararam | HallTech | Textralia | SPEC | McLeod | Raptor | Trick Flow | AFR | ECS
    | FAST | APS | TTi | Procharger | RPM Transmission | Comp | DMH | HP Tuners | PFADT | SLP | STS

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

+1 Mark at KY Speed will help you out with all your questions. I think he probably has my credit card number memorized by now.

Thread Information