Thread: Please Help

Silver
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Please Help

Guys the 00 Trans Am is doing something weird here lately. I will try and explain this as best as I can and I will post a video to maybe help figure this thing out. The car will start just fine but almost immediately start surging at idle. It will randomly shut off but will start right back up. it will do this several times and then wont start until I replace this fuse (which is very strange because its listed as the ac compressor fuse)

Here is the video

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I just think that is coincidence. It should have nothing to do with starting or running the engine. It sounds like you need to clean your MAF. When's the last time you've done it?

Silver
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

last summer, this car only gets drove 300 miles a year. It has no codes either.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

ok let me see if i understand this. so the car shuts off until you remove the A/C fuse? does it stay on all the time without the fuse? Is the video without the fuse? it doesn't show you taking the fuse off and the problem solves after a few starts.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 04-16-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That is a relay, not a fuse. I would start by cleaning the MAF, then check for a dirty throttle body, or it could also be an issue with the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve on the driver side of the throttle body. How about the "ENG SENS" fuse, is that ok?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    That is a relay, not a fuse. I would start by cleaning the MAF, then check for a dirty throttle body, or it could also be an issue with the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve on the driver side of the throttle body. How about the "ENG SENS" fuse, is that ok?
    I'm gonna go with all dis stuff here...+2

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

Could be EGR too. I had that problem on my '00 before I pulled all the AIR off. Car would surge, turn off, run sporadically. The ball float inside the EGR, if that's what it's called, got stuck.

However, not sure that would cause the A/C relay to trip. Is your car throwing any codes?

Silver
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    ok let me see if i understand this. so the car shuts off until you remove the A/C fuse? does it stay on all the time without the fuse? Is the video without the fuse? it doesn't show you taking the fuse off and the problem solves after a few starts.
    Update I checked to see to the ac compressor was locked up and its not. Second I pulled the ac relay to see if she would start and she wouldn't. I then pulled the fuel pump relay and replaced that. She then fired up and ran for a few minutes. I shut her off and then tried to restart and she would start but cranked forever. I pulled the new fuel pump relay out and replaced with another one and she fired up but was still surging.

Silver
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 666ws6 View Post
    Could be EGR too. I had that problem on my '00 before I pulled all the AIR off. Car would surge, turn off, run sporadically. The ball float inside the EGR, if that's what it's called, got stuck.

However, not sure that would cause the A/C relay to trip. Is your car throwing any codes?
    pajeff02, I will try and clean those and get back with you but the eng sens is ok.
    666ws6, where is the egr located at on my 00 bird?
    She is not throwing any codes.

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

EGR is off to the pass side of the engine. Looks like a vertical miniature starter motor (best I could think of to describe it.) You could always try to unbolt it and see how the car runs, but it seems like you are just guessing.

No codes are thrown in the car? Seems like you would have a code or two to help you track this down.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Not a bad idea to plug an OBDII scanner into the car even if the SES is not on. You can also read pending codes and something may show up there. Test drove a VW for a friend's nephew the other day -- no SES light on, but there was a pending code for the EVAP system when I plugged my scanner in.

Silver
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

I am tired of messing with it. Taking it to Fast Track performance in louisville Ky on friday

Anyone heard anything about them??
    Last edited by OneFastZ; 04-18-2011 at 06:38 AM.

Silver
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

I end of finding what the problems was. Seems the casing on the temp sensor rt below the header on the drivers side was gone. So the temp sensor wasn't hook up. Put a new on in and she has started every time since. I should of know something was up because the fans would run when the engine was cold. Oh well live and learn, maybe this will help someone else out in the future.

Here the pic of just on temporary

Blue/green
    1998 Trans AM

Just throwing this out as an idea, but you said it only goes about 300 miles per year. Could be also bad gas or clogged fuel filter. Just an idea.

Thread Information