Pewter
    2000 Trans Am M6

Plastic trim on each side of windshield

I am going to have my windshield replaced because of a rock crack and noticed one of the plastic trim pieces that is on each side of the windshield has a small half moon piece knocked out of it. Are the plastic trim pieces part of the rubber seal, or are they separate? I called a couple places for a windshield quote but forgot to ask them about it.

black
    02 TransAm Ramair WS6

Winsheild trim

I assume you are talking about the thick black plastic ( 2 pieces left & right ) that the wipers sit just above. They are not part of the windshield molding but do have to be taken off.
    In my case the guy who removed mine wasn't careful enough and broke a tab on the very end of the passenger side and now it doesn't sit quite snug enough against the windshield so make sure they know how to handle that particular kind of tab.

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

Yeah, be certain they know what they are doing. I just had two W/S's replaced on my two other cars and I had to help the guy pull off cowls as he didn't seem to care about breaking clips. Thank god it wasn't my Trans Am.

Oh, and he used a saws-all to cut through the urethane at the base of the W/S... from the inside. That was new to me. So I had him place a towel on our dash to protect. I can imagine that part must suck on our cars as the W/S is so sloped.
    2000 WS6 TA #2946 - A4, Best 1/4: 12.5s @111mph.
    SLP LTs, 228r Cam, SY 3500, Shift kit, LS6 intake, underdrive pulleys, lid, p&p TB, Borla w/ cutout, Pro-kit springs, poly all around, Hotchkis suspension, 3.90 gears, tuned.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmTerry View Post
    I assume you are talking about the thick black plastic ( 2 pieces left & right ) that the wipers sit just above. They are not part of the windshield molding but do have to be taken off.
    In my case the guy who removed mine wasn't careful enough and broke a tab on the very end of the passenger side and now it doesn't sit quite snug enough against the windshield so make sure they know how to handle that particular kind of tab.
    No, they are not those particular pieces. These plastic pieces look as though they are part of the windshield seal, and run the length of the A pillars. They run from the t-tops down to the bottom of the glass and are about 1/2'' wide. Thanks for trying to help though, I really appreciate it.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

you'll have to remove the windsheild wipers which are a pain in the ass for some and others have no problems. Theyre just bolted on with a single nut for each side.

Once those come off there are plastic clips under the hood. remove the center of them and the second peice will come out. (you should see what i'm talking about when you get hands on.

The rubber weatherstrip hold the two plastic peices together with those clip type things.

ahhhh, well if you need help just ask and I may be able to take step by step pictures to make it easier

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

Yes they SHOULD replace those pieces. I had my windshield done, and they ordered the trim pieces for a non t-top (or vert?) and they were not wide enough. I had to go back a week later when the new ones were in, and they pulled the new windshield back out to replace them.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Quote Originally Posted by black crowe View Post
    No, they are not those particular pieces. These plastic pieces look as though they are part of the windshield seal, and run the length of the A pillars. They run from the t-tops down to the bottom of the glass and are about 1/2'' wide. Thanks for trying to help though, I really appreciate it.
    That's actually the 3 sided moulding. It goes down both sides and across the top. Most galss shops replace them on all the cars. I replace it on every f-body I do. It has to be put onto the glass before it even goes into the car or you can't put them on.

Thread Information