Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blue
    2001 Trans AM

Pacesetter LT's and True Dual Install

OK guys i just ordered my true duals and LT's. Is this install something better left to professionals? I am fairly mechanically inclined, basically a farm kid that has worked on everything from an old Triumph to a 4wheel drive tractor. I have never however done any exhaust work. I had an '88 convertable IROC that I paid a guy at the local repair shop a $100 to put on my headers one sunday afternoon. However he now lives in michigan and i dont know anyone around here that would tear into this job. What are the True Duals like to install?

Thanks for any info or incite you have to offer!

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

If you goot the TSP rumbler.. they were a piece of cake to install with my pacesetters... hardest part was getting the old exhaust off.. had to cut the intermediate pipe twice by the muffeler to get it off... Just get the car up on 4 stands, a can of PB blaster or WD40 and some elbow grease and a case of brewskies.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Blue
    2001 Trans AM

sorry they are Texas Speed Rumbler X True Duals. The headers are what I am most concerned about, the old manifolds can be a pain, or so i hear.

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

The Pacesetters were also a piece of cake to get in.. the hardest part was getting the old ones off.. get a gear wrench for the back ones... and you need to be a contortionist to get the plugs and bolts out.. just be patient.

Blue
    2001 Trans AM

that is what i was hoping to hear, being a newer car with 37,xxx miles i dont think the manifold bolts will be too bad. What about install material, should i use the gasket that comes with the Pacesetters or is it better to get an aftermarket gasket, same for the header bolts, i have heard about different types of header bolts.

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Reuse the stock gaskets for the headers.. won't find anything better. Header bolts come with the pacesetters.. did you get the race only or the emmissions? If you got the race version.. did you get the 02 extensions?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by a338566 View Post
    that is what i was hoping to hear, being a newer car with 37,xxx miles i dont think the manifold bolts will be too bad. What about install material, should i use the gasket that comes with the Pacesetters or is it better to get an aftermarket gasket, same for the header bolts, i have heard about different types of header bolts.
    The stock GM gaskets are much better than the Pacesetter gaskets. Toss the Pacesetter gaskets in the garbage and don't think twice about it. The install itself is not hard, you will have to pull the starter and oil filter from the passenger side, it usually is a piece of cake to get in. The driver side is a little more difficult but very manageable to do. As far as header bolts, I would recommend Stage 8 locking header bolts. The ones Pacesetter sends aren't very good in my experience, I would re-use the stock ones before I used the Pacesetter ones.

I would highly recommend killing 2 birds with one stone and getting new plugs and possibly new wires to install while you are doing your headers as well.

Are you going to be using jack stands or do you have access to a lift?
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Blue
    2001 Trans AM

I wish i had a lift !!! It will be up on jack stands. I was planning on replacing the plugs and wires (might as well while i have them out ) Any suggestions on plugs and wires? I wasnt aware that manifold gaskets would work with headers, The biggest reason i am doing this now is that i have a leaking manifold gasket, but i could order repalcement GM gaskets if that is the best way to go ( i dont want to be repalcing header gaskets every couple months). Great info thanks guys

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by a338566 View Post
    I wish i had a lift !!! It will be up on jack stands. I was planning on replacing the plugs and wires (might as well while i have them out ) Any suggestions on plugs and wires? I wasnt aware that manifold gaskets would work with headers, The biggest reason i am doing this now is that i have a leaking manifold gasket, but i could order repalcement GM gaskets if that is the best way to go ( i dont want to be repalcing header gaskets every couple months). Great info thanks guys
    I would order stock GM gaskets to replace yours then, they should run you around $30. Be sure to get the car up high enough so you don't have problems sliding the headers in, first time I went to do mine, I didn't have the car high enough and had to stop and jack it up higher

As far as plugs and wires, MSD or Taylor wires are both good and a lot of people use NGK TR55 plugs with success.

Blue
    2001 Trans AM

My Mods are going to be LT's, TSP True dual, no cats, K&N, and slp lid. What kind of HP am i looking at?

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Add prob about 30 hp..with a tune

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

When I installed Pacesetter LT headers I bought a set of copper header gaskets and they leaked right away. I put the stock GM gaskets back on and they worked great. I would go with the stock GM gaskets with headers. I have MSD plug wires and never had any problems. I also have the NGK TR55ix spark plugs and they work great. I hope this helps.

last of the breed... urstolendesire's Avatar

Red
    2002 Transam

so the pacesetter lt's would be the best? i've heard about clearance problems?...and they do make the street LT's right..?

Pewter
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR View Post
    If you goot the TSP rumbler.. they were a piece of cake to install with my pacesetters... hardest part was getting the old exhaust off.. had to cut the intermediate pipe twice by the muffeler to get it off... Just get the car up on 4 stands, a can of PB blaster or WD40 and some elbow grease and a case of brewskies.
    do you have a sound clip? i was thinking of changing to the dual set up but i kinda want to hear it.

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

I have no clearance problems and my car is lowered. When I had a Y-pipe, I had clearance problems.

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Do you want inside or outside? I could probably get that today if you want.

last of the breed... urstolendesire's Avatar

Red
    2002 Transam

...so you jus have true duals all the way? i kinda figured the bottom of the headers would scrape, not the pipe? you can still hook up both O2 sensors with these right..?

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

front two are hooked up to the headers. Back two are disabled with a tune.

Blue
    2001 Trans AM

will it hurt to drive it before getting the back 2 O2 sensors disabled?

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

You'll just throw a code (check engine light will turn on)

Thread Information