p0420 code help me

first i got P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1) the maf had oil on it from an oiled filter lets just say put way to much

and then P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

is the code i got not a big deal its the original one just means the rear o2 is reading similar as the front
    but the thing is on the drivers side the floor gets hot when i get the code

so is the cat done don't feel power loss or anything else if it is then i will just mod it more

so are these good

Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Long Tube LS1 Headers & TSP Catted Y-pipe and if they are i would like to get them

is there any chance of passing emissions in ontario canada

would a frost tune work well with this

so i guess the rear o2s get disabled?
    Last edited by ws6ws6; 08-19-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Hey had a P0420 code on my 04 Saturn Ion, turns out I had a bad flex pipe and it was leaking barely...so the cat may be fine but you may have a small leak somewhere...when cool jack the car up and start engine climb under and with you hand an inch off the exhaust pipe feel for air leaking out of the pipe...might be able to use some muffler tape somewhere to save having to buy all new pipe and cat...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

420 is a cat code.....most likely a bad cat. Not sure what year car you had but did a 10 year/120k mile cat warranty.

post 13 of this thread
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/p0430-2...ld-prob-86065/

i will just get Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Long Tube LS1 Headers & TSP Catted Y-pipe
    is there any chance of passing emissions in ontario canada with those things it will be less then a new cat

98 Formula
    06 duramax

not if they do a visual or put a sniffer up the pipe.....never pass either of those. If they only plug into the obd port you can get away with it.

is that not the point of the cats to pass?
    what size cat do need if get one for now
    Last edited by ws6ws6; 08-23-2012 at 10:23 AM.

LPM
    2000 Z28

^hes saying that different places check emissions differently. Yes you need cats if they are going to look under the car or put a sniffer in the exhaust, but if they just check for thrown codes from missing cats, you can have those codes turned off.

LS6 Intake, LS6 VCT, E^2 Catch Can, Hooker LTs and ORY, Magnaflow Cat-Back, 3" QTP electric cutout, UMI adj LCA, PHB, 3 pt SFCs, STB, MGW Shifter, SLP lid and bellow, Free-Mods, Tuned by BlueCat

98 Formula
    06 duramax

well....I read that the first time as doing headers and not having cats. Still though....LT's and high flow cats ( although better for the environment) might not pass emissions. I'm not sure what Canada's emission laws are so they may be different but in the U.S. it's technically against the law to modify the exhuast at all.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by ws6ws6 View Post
    is that not the point of the cats to pass?
    what size cat do need if get one for now
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    well....I read that the first time as doing headers and not having cats. Still though....LT's and high flow cats ( although better for the environment) might not pass emissions. I'm not sure what Canada's emission laws are so they may be different but in the U.S. it's technically against the law to modify the exhuast at all.
    ws6ws6...agree with Orion and Derek.....I too am unlucky enough... like you ,to live somewhere that we have to put up with the BS laws ....Like Orion says not sure what Canada`s emissions laws are but in Calif and states were they are adopting Ca, emissions standards.. Lt`s move the catalytic converters and thats against Federal laws for emissions (in U.S.) any modification of the factory emissions equiptment is not allowed (it varys from state to state) Ive had some smog tech`s take one look at my car and say ..see ya!..wont touch it because of the LT`s,,others say as long as i have the EO # C.A.R.B approved cats theyll over look the Lt`s (hush hush)and pass the sniffer im ok. I didnt pass the sniffer with my hi-flo cats until i did a 5 to 1 ratio of alcohol to gas mix,,then passed..Like they said if you only have to pass the OBD II port test your good to go once you have the correct tuning codes turned off....a little words of wisdom...check your local laws BEFORE buying anything...I wasnt so wise but high off horsepower and now have a hard time getting passed the smog nazi`s...
    Last edited by SuperSSguy; 08-23-2012 at 11:06 PM.

ok then looks like i am just going to get a new cat for now is $250 for it a fair price with install

Thread Information