Burgundy
    2002 Pontiac Firebird

overheating issue

I have an 02 transam. My car started overheating halfway on a 4 hour trip to NY. As soon as I pulled over the temp went back down to normal almost in an instant. I checked under the hood. The engine did not seem as hot but the coolant overflowed a bit. I then drove away. Temp started rising again steadiedly. After a bit I noticed that when my heater quit working the temp would begin to climb. I would lay off the throtle a bit, the heater would kick on and then temp would drop almost immediately. I'm thinking I have heater coil problem but not sure.

What can it be???

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Has the cooling system ever been serviced? Chances are you have either a bad thermostat or your radiator is plugging up. Problem with an '02 is that your factory temp gauge is a complete POS. Ours reads 205 degrees all the time when then actual temp is really about 190 or so. Other possibility is a head gasket issue. I would get it looked at right away before you cause real damage. Going down the road, airflow through the radiator should keep the temp from climbing, especially in cool winter air. One rule to remember -- our cars come equipped with DexCool from the factory which is absolutely fine to use. Just don't mix it with green stuff. One other thought -- if you have a bad radiator hose they can "suck closed" and thereby stop all coolant from flowing. This is really a rare occurence but I have seen it.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Like Jeff said, make sure you DO NOT or DID NOT use anything but Dexcool in your cooling system. The collapsed hose may be an issue with 10 year old hoses. How old are yours ? One last thing to check is worn or broken water pump impellers. Yes, it does happen.

Burgundy
    2002 Pontiac Firebird

Thanks for the info guys. I had already replaced the thermostat a little over a year ago along with all the relays. I checked all the hoses & all appear to be in good shape still. I'll probably start with flushing the whole system out. It needs one anyways so I'll do that for now. And yes I'm fully aware of the dexcool it needs. Spoiled brat she is! Thanks again!!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

When you flush the system, make sure to remove the block drains on each side. Otherwise you will leave lots of old coolant still in the engine. Easy test for a stuck thermostat is to feel your upper radiator hose. If it stays cold, or only gets lukewarm, the stat is stuck closed.

Thread Information