Thread: overheating

408 ci + 4000 stall = fun lancesT/A's Avatar

red
    2002 SS

overheating

yesterday i was driving around car shopping for my wife and it was about 80 degrees and we where in traffic and i look down at my temp gage and i am almost in the red but once i start moving it goes right down to about 180 but the second i stop it goes right back up and the weird thing is when i have my a/c on full blast it runs colder. this is the first time i have had this problem and my thermostat and water pump are new, plus i have had this car for almost 3 years so i would have noticed it sooner if this was a reoccurring problem. what i am asking is if anybody else has had this problem and what the hell do i do to fix it and also why does the car run better with the a/c on all the way

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

You need to refill the coolant, reason why it does that is because when you are sitting still it can't circulate as well, when you get moving more air cools it off. You also may want to look into your lines to make sure you have no leaks.

red
    2002 SS

i just flushed my radiator the other day and i have been keeping a pretty good eye for leaks i am beginning to wonder if i have a clogged hose, i think it is either that or my fans arent kicking on either way it is going to drive me crazy

Black
    2002 T/A WS6

i would check the fans i dont think that they should be having problems yet but always a chance... and i dont think there is much room for something to actually get into the fans like a plastic bag from the road

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Quote Originally Posted by lancesT/A View Post
    i just flushed my radiator the other day and i have been keeping a pretty good eye for leaks i am beginning to wonder if i have a clogged hose, i think it is either that or my fans arent kicking on either way it is going to drive me crazy
    If you just flushed your radiator there is a possibility you have an air pocket in the system and if so that will make it run hotter. Let it sit in the yard running and with the cap loose or off and watch it circulate.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

I am wondering if it might be a fan problem too. When you turn on your A/C it automatically kicks on both fans, so maybe without A/C on the second fan isn't coming on when it is suppose to. Let it run for a bit in park and when the temperature starts to rise above normal operating range check to see if your second fan kicks on, if it does then maybe check into coolant issues.

red
    2002 SS

ya today i am going to check out the fans, i will also try letting it run with the cap off just in case, i am not to worried because of my experience with my car is that it may seem like a big problem but 9 times out of 10 it turns out to be something small, thanks for all the great advice.

Green&Teal
    1993TA 1998Z28

Wink

I had the same problems with my LT1, one thing was there's two lines that run along the back of the block and they sometimes get clogged. LT1's almost always cool down with the AC on because they have a reverse cooling system. Google it for the details I've forgotten, it was many years ago I had to deal with it.

primer
    65 nova

cooling fans

hey
    i think you have a control problem. low speed fan operation(both fans run at low speed) is controlled by the pcm by the pcm grounding cooling fan relay #1 then power is run through both fans in series. low speed fans should turn on at 226 degrees and off at about 221 or turn on when a/c is requested also the fans turn off at a vehicle speed of 40 mph if your car only runs hot in traffic without the a/c on and not in traffic with the a/c on or it speed leads me to think 1=the pcm does not know the correct coolant temp-possible sensor problem or the pcm knows the correct temp and just won't turn on the fans. try to find someone with a scan tool and compare pcm coolant temp to the gauge reading they should read almost the same
    Last edited by newtechnova; 05-09-2007 at 07:35 PM.

green
    98 formula

its the fans when the air is on so are they

red
    2002 SS

i think it is the fans also so i plan on hard wiring the fans to a switch so i can control the fans, hopefully that will fix the problem.

Thread Information