Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: over 140mph

white
    1998 trans am

over 140mph

ok my question is when i push the car over 140mph and up it is start getting to noisy and it is a lot of vibration. is that normal? or how i am going to stop that noise from the wind?
    last night i was racing on autobahn ( german highways no speed limit) with this audi and i beat him but i was so scare because i thought car is going to be explode from the wind. i hate that and i was only little over 150mph.(after 150 i watch my speed from gps)
    please let me know how am i going to stop that?
    Last edited by adamsoldier; 05-17-2009 at 11:13 AM.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

This thread will be epic subscribed

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I have been up to 130mph w/ the t-tops down so I sorry that I can't help.

Awaiting Activation

Black
    RIP S4 06Tbss

Duct tape fixes everything try some of that stuff.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Ive pinned my TA twice once with the TTops off and to be honest...................after 125 I didnt hear a damn thing, I was so focused on the road and my adrenaline was pumping so much everything else just faded out for me! Funny how doing 80 MPH immed after 155+ feels like 15 MPH!!

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by adamsoldier View Post
    ok my question is when i push the car over 140mph and up it is start getting to noisy and it is a lot of vibration. is that normal? or how i am going to stop that noise from the wind?
    last night i was racing on autobahn ( german highways no speed limit) with this audi and i beat him but i was so scare because i thought car is going to be explode from the wind. i hate that and i was only little over 150mph.(after 150 i watch my speed from gps)
    please let me know how am i going to stop that?
    LOL i couldn't tell you how to fix it, but I would give my left nut to take my TA on the autobahn!!
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

Check all the weather striping first, make sure it is not worn in any places. Remember your car is now 11 yrs old. Stuff starts to rot after a while. Even if it is just dry rotted it's not going to seal correct. Are you making enough power that you have twisted the body at all? If so you might be screwed.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Wind noise is a factor at high speed. Adjust your windows to t-tops, get your driveshaft balanced, make sure your tires are balanced and rated for those speeds..

and then prepare for speeding ticket

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Give it a good coat of wax to reduce drag. lol
    What Joshie said. I would check tires first. What brand do you have and are they balanced?

I got mine to 144 once and it felt like 65.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Wind noise is a factor at high speed. Adjust your windows to t-tops, get your driveshaft balanced, make sure your tires are balanced and rated for those speeds..

and then prepare for speeding ticket
    Must of missed the part about no speed limit thing huh?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Must of missed the part about no speed limit thing huh?
    Thats germany.. most people who will read this in the future are from the grand USA and wont see that fact...

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

I-75 + 3:30 Am + a radar detector = the autobahn for me....

white
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by anniversary30 View Post
    Check all the weather striping first, make sure it is not worn in any places. Remember your car is now 11 yrs old. Stuff starts to rot after a while. Even if it is just dry rotted it's not going to seal correct. Are you making enough power that you have twisted the body at all? If so you might be screwed.
    i believe you are right about weather striping. where can i find a replecment for that? and i did not understand what are you saying by "Are you making enough power that you have twisted the body at all? If so you might be screwed" can you explain?

white
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    Give it a good coat of wax to reduce drag. lol
    What Joshie said. I would check tires first. What brand do you have and are they balanced?

I got mine to 144 once and it felt like 65.
    i do have z rated tires and yes they are balanced. wax not working very well in germany either because of the weather

white
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    LOL i couldn't tell you how to fix it, but I would give my left nut to take my TA on the autobahn!!
    lol that is funny i thought you are a girl and i believe that girls dont have nuts !!!! am i wrong

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

If your car is making more then stock power and you have not yet put frame connectors on it yet. You could have put a tweek in the body a little . If this has happened then things aren't going to line up correctly. This would most likely be done through hole shots from drag racing with slicks and or drag radials. It's a long shot but, it is possible.

white
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711 View Post
    Ive pinned my TA twice once with the TTops off and to be honest...................after 125 I didnt hear a damn thing, I was so focused on the road and my adrenaline was pumping so much everything else just faded out for me! Funny how doing 80 MPH immed after 155+ feels like 15 MPH!!
    only reason i like germany because of i can speed and i dont have to worry about ticket. also trafic rules are great in here. there is a fast lines and slow lines and everyone stay where they have to. so you really dont have to worry about someone going to cut front of you.
    after a while 120 and less feel like nothing and that is the sad part. because you are so get use to speed. also TA does not show speed like some high cars.
    i do love adrenaline rush and i do love 11 years old TA can beat some new, over rated and expencive cars...

white
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by anniversary30 View Post
    If your car is making more then stock power and you have not yet put frame connectors on it yet. You could have put a tweek in the body a little . If this has happened then things aren't going to line up correctly. This would most likely be done through hole shots from drag racing with slicks and or drag radials. It's a long shot but, it is possible.
    thank you i am going to do that and weather stripe thing. again thank you for sharing your knowledge.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

so, finally some domestic help!

first: 155 is the fastest i've hit in my z28 so far. not a speed these cars are really built for, but manageable. and it is loud.
    the main problem is the construction of the frameless side windows, mine lift from the weatherstripping a little at the back edge when i go faster than 120mph. and of course the t-tops have edges that catch wind and produce noise.

2nd: vibration is never good, i had problems when i still had the stock 16'' rims. after switching to 18'' and hankook tires with a 300 km/h rating, it got considerably better. the best move though where the subfame connectors, the car feels like a rock now at speeds around 120 - 130mph. make sure your tires are balanced and have enough pressure, 15 to 20% above what the manual says. i run 2.5 bar on all four.

finally: don't race on the autobahn, it's dangerous.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

one more thing: if you haven't already, ditch the stock shocks, they're useless. i run bilstein hd.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information