Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

ongoing electrical woes for my *Rebuilt* T/A

Some of you may know I have a vehicle with a rebuilt title. The only problems i've found so far have been electrical and stemming from whatever repairs were needed after it was stolen. . I know the wires under the dash are respliced, but I haven't traced them yet so I don't know the extent of the 'repair'.
    Earlier this winter activation of the ABS caused my entire electrical system to glitch/flicker (still haven't traced that one out, but the abs seems to be working ok again for now).
    Most recently the entire system went dead when I turned the key into the on position. Removing it then caused an incessant clicking sound coming from the headunit itself or behind the dash, and in the fuse/relay box, further inspection revealed this:

At one point the battery cables we not secured, fell into the front of the motor and were partially repaired with electrical tape. *a wiggling of the wires temporarily restored power to pull her back into the garage. The pictures don't show all of the damage, but both the lead and ground cables have been worn through in several different areas, with some spots about 50% of the way through. oh yeah, and now the radio is dead, hopefully i just blew the fuse on the back of the unit, but i'm afraid to check and find out just how they spliced the pioneer unit in with the stock monsoon...

stay tuned fellow Rebuilt TransAm friends, i'll keep updating this with all of my finds and maybe even a few highlights from past hackjobs i've owned and in some cases still do.

oh and I also noticed that all of the daytime/parking/indicator lamp wiring has been replaced and is just strewn about under the front bumper waiting to snag and short out.
    Last edited by goof4080; 02-12-2010 at 01:56 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You are probably better off replacing the wire run than attempting a splice if the wiring is that beat up. If you do splice, it should be soldered and covered with shrink tube for both strength and corrosion resistance. I would stay away from the crimp style butt connectors.

You may also want to invest in a wiring tool that releases the factory style pins from the connectors as it makes replacing the wires a whole lot simpler. The tool looks like this in case you are not familiar with it:

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    You are probably better off replacing the wire run than attempting a splice if the wiring is that beat up. If you do splice, it should be soldered and covered with shrink tube for both strength and corrosion resistance. I would stay away from the crimp style butt connectors.

You may also want to invest in a wiring tool that releases the factory style pins from the connectors as it makes replacing the wires a whole lot simpler. The tool looks like this in case you are not familiar with it:

Click for full size
    i'll look into that tool for when i start rewiring my electrical system. As for the current fix i'm just looking at replacing the battery cables and then moving onto the next weakest link. It's kinda like the strengthing the drivetrain, which knock on wood, functions adequately.

Thread Information