Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

oil and cutouts question

My car has been burning a little bit of oil. I added a quart and it was back to normal. I think it was becasue of the heat during the summer and also taking her to the track added to it. People told me that changing the PCV valve solved the problem. I was gonna do that, but should i use a thicker oil. Currently i run mobil1 5w-30. Should i go ahead with the 10w-30?

Also, my driver side cat is bad and the SES light came on. I dont wanna run cats on my car. I know ppl who will give me a sticker, so inspection isnt a problem however cops are. What's a good ORY and what are some nice companys. I was thinking about a mufflex custom Y but not sure. I want a pipe w/o cats but should have the option of sliding 2 on easily if im forced to. And for cutouts ELECTRIC or MANUAL? Money aint an issue.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30.

You have headers?? If so, look at that companies ORY. Probably the best fit.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

If you don't have headers and don't plan on ever having headers Mac makes an ory for the stock manifolds. http://www.macperformance.com/store/...Product_ID=765
    Mobil 1 5w30 is a pretty thin oil. Switching to any 30 weight PP like ^ said may cure it. Going to the track and having the car above 6,000rpms will use a good bit of oil.

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    If you don't have headers and don't plan on ever having headers Mac makes an ory for the stock manifolds. http://www.macperformance.com/store/...Product_ID=765
    Don't screw with that. Just get headers and y pipe combo if you don't have longtubes. Another option is to gut the cats that are already on there. That should help with cop trouble.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Thats the thing though, i CANT get headers. My neighbors are ... and they complain the car is loud enough with a catback. I dont wanna swap out exhausts and then add headers. I dont wanna waste the money because chances are they will complain again. So u say gut the cats?

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Gutting the cats will make it louder also.

Do you know if there are an decibal restrictions in your neighborhood. If not, screw your neighbors and put whatever you want on it.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

im not sure, but ill find out. Man not having headers really fucked me up. If I had headers the car would have seen a H/C swap a looong time ago. Iv done just about everything to the engine to squeeze out power that i lost for not having headers.

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    im not sure, but ill find out. Man not having headers really fucked me up. If I had headers the car would have seen a H/C swap a looong time ago. Iv done just about everything to the engine to squeeze out power that i lost for not having headers.
    I'd say screw the neighbors and get them anyway. I know I would. I'd dare them to turn me in too.

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

I actually don't think most people have trouble with loud cars ... Under 100db.

Now my race car is 120db and we have worked out not starting the car after 6p unless it's putting it up on the trailer to go to a race the next day and we are still working on it.

However, we do try hard to keep the noise down ... but, you do have rights too.

I think 105db is the law for most areas. You just have to be a bit considerate.

The nieghbors went off the handle one afternoon because they just got their kid to sleep and VAROOOM<VAROOOM< VAR-VAROOOM which woke up their kid in a scream.

You know, I planned on building cars for a hobbly and I'm within the law. It my peace of mind. You planned on having a kid for your peace of mind so you have to live with your decisions. I do try to keep the noise down after 6p however but, the ccnr's say 9p.

Always a sore subject .... Putting on flame suit.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I HATE my neighbors.

People need to get over it sometimes. I had that same problem once. i actually told the neighbor that I put in the wrong cam that why it sounded so loud and that I was trying to fix it........they actually believed me.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Thats the thing though, i CANT get headers. My neighbors are ... and they complain the car is loud enough with a catback. I dont wanna swap out exhausts and then add headers. I dont wanna waste the money because chances are they will complain again. So u say gut the cats?
    man, you are twenty years old. do what you want. your neighbors cant stop you from getting longtube headers, no way, no how.

dont wide open it down the avenue and i cant see a problem getting headers.

we dont have pro stock cars here, if you creep a few notches above idle i highly doubt anyone will care.

and if they do, call the cops on them for being annoying and stifling pricks.

Pewter
    2000 z28

about 8 houses down a guy owns and drives a full drag split window vette with a blown small block. i cant remember what he runs in, but when he starts her up the pictures in my house rattle off the walls.

i swear.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

i already got a letter from the town saying to keep it down. If it continues they will give me a ticket for "excessive exhaust tone" and i will have to remove my exhaust.

Pewter
    2000 z28

i already got a letter from the town saying to keep it down. If it continues they will give me a ticket for "excessive exhaust tone" and i will have to remove my exhaust.
    from the town. what does this mean? like a court order from the municipality?

excuse my skepticism as im not there, but i highly doubt that without headers your exhaust is THAT loud. do you go whomping on it in subdivisions early in the morning or something?

i just cant really believe that this is enforced by law. ive heard of noise violations, but unless you womp on a given car it wont be THAT loud. i also have never heard of any telling anyone else they HAVE to remove their exhaust.

fill me in. i dont wanna sound like a dick but it seems to me that someone is trying to play you.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

The town?What the hell does that mean? Cops can't ticket you without measuring the decibels, can't see them sending a letter for that. If you mean like a home owners association, that's laughable.

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

They can ticket then you go to court and ask them to prove excessive noise. Unless someone has monitored you exhaust with a DB meter and can prove it with a picture of your car and the meter in the same picture etc... It will get thrown out.

Now if you leave for work at 5a every morning and wake the neighborhood up driving out then you might have a problem if they post a cop at the corner.

If you car doesn't reach 125db? level while leaving the neighborhood then they really can't do anything but ticket you. Then you have to go to court ask them to prove there case and your outta there. If it goes on two or three times you can sue for harassment.

But, most of us don't want to go there. So, I just try to start my race car early in the morning.

My 300ZX with glasspak was left on the street at night so that when I went to work in the morning I would get the echo off the inside of the garage which received a few complaints.

It kind of up to you. Noise is a huge issue in my nieghborhood. But, the ccnr's say I'm OK.
    I just quote and show ccnr's to those that complain. It's the drive by eggings that get me. j/k never got to that level.

BTW - you can go to the local Radio Shack and get a db meter if you want one.
    Our Race car capped was 105db - Uncapped ~135db. So, when we are working on it at home we bolt on short exhausts. Final tune has to happen at the track.

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Screw that, go to town hall and leave a set of black stripes in front of the place.

Seriously, how many people are in your town to qualify that kind of a letter? Thats just total nonsense. Shit, my town would probably ask me to display my car at the fairs and events if it was that loud.

Pewter
    2000 z28

like i said, it isnt that loud (no disrespect intended). it cant be. not without lts and a cam and no other exhaust. now that i may be able to understand, but by the same token, if someone didnt like it, they could lick my nuts. this is america. sue me.

do you incessantly womp on it or what man?

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    The town?What the hell does that mean? Cops can't ticket you without measuring the decibels, can't see them sending a letter for that. If you mean like a home owners association, that's laughable.

Yep, he's got this right. HOA's can send you letters all day long. They can also put you last on list for repairs etc... if it's townhouse etc...

But, legally they would have to get a cop to measure it as you go down your road. Frankly, unless you leave for work everyday at the same time they will never be able to get that reading without a court search order etc....
    You think a judge would grant an order to go into someone's house, start their car to get a noise abatement ticket. Doubt that. It would be a fix it ticket then. Plus, if it's not on the road I'm not sure if that would even count.

It boils down to how much hassle it is for ya. If it's just a few harsh words from the nieghbors and your good with that. Kewl.....
    I'd take the route even if I hated my nieghbors that I am working to get it fixed and at least push out that issue. No money, no time, can figure it out ... that's good for 6-12 months. I've never hated my nieghbors that much.

Thread Information