Black
    2002 Firehawk Trans Am

OBD system not ready?? Failed Inspection

Ok so I have been away in ST.louis for a while and had my buddy take my car thru inspection here in NJ. Well everything passed except for this...

OBD SYSTEM RADINESS STATUS:
    Catalytic Converters NOT READY
    Oxygen Sensors NOT READY
    Oxygen Sensor Heaters NOT READY
    EGR Sytems UNUSED
    Secondary Air Injection NOT READY
    EVAPORATIVE SYSTEM NOT READY
    Fuel Sytem READY
    Engine Misfire READY
    AC UNUSED
    Comprehensive Component READY
    Overall Readiness Result FAIL!!!!

Thats the print out I got from the DMV.... so what is goin on with my system?

I've Never heard of this... ps my battery has never died or been disconnected cause thats what they told my friend that took it in.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

We are having the same exact problem with a 99 Dodge Neon our neighbor gave me. No engine light, but when we take if for emissions, some of the systems are not ready. We have tried EVERYTHING short of taking it to the dealership. When we ask someone about it, the most common answer we get is to make sure that there is not low voltage for some reason, or to make sure there is not a short somewhere between the battery and the computer. (I'm assuming you've tried those though.) Sorry I couldn't be any help to you. I'm going to be watching this thread also.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Looks like you need to complete a drive cycle...EGR says unused because GM stopped putting EGR's in f-bod LS1's in 2001.

Are you sure they didn't say that it had been disconnected or died? That would make more sense because it would force a PCM relearn....explaining the uncompleted drive cycle.

Check the batt(load test), cable terminals and cables for corrosion...the car could be losing power without you even knowing it

Black
    2002 Firehawk Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    Looks like you need to complete a drive cycle...EGR says unused because GM stopped putting EGR's in f-bod LS1's in 2001.

Are you sure they didn't say that it had been disconnected or died? That would make more sense because it would force a PCM relearn....explaining the uncompleted drive cycle.

Check the batt(load test), cable terminals and cables for corrosion...the car could be losing power without you even knowing it
    been there... 14.02 V and 13.01 under load. checked cables, etc... i drive the car daily and never had a problem. Its wierd. I drove the car a full oil change and took it... still notta

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

What did you use to check the battery?

Black
    2002 Firehawk Trans Am

battery load test that hooks up to the terminals, ask what the CCA's are, then puts a load on, then tells you to take the engine up to 1500+ RPMS, etc... cant think of the name of it.

silver
    98 camaro z28 m6

This going to sound stupid but you also need to have more than half a tank of gas. For some reason the drive cycle wants thats. I think its for a gas cap test not sure. Just search drive cycle and follow the steps!

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I don't want to hijack the thread or anything, but I just thought I would point out, I've printed out every "drive cycle" instruction sheet with every required parameter, checked all cables I could find anywhere between battery and computer to make sure it never looses power, checked battery voltage (stored and loaded), and still a bunch of my sensors will not "ready". (keep in mind this car is a Dodge, not a GM) but I think its possible I might have problems with OBDII or the computer or something. I have tried everything else possible on my car. I'm going to have to take mine to the dealership.

Black
    2002 Firehawk Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by fast enough Z28 View Post
    This going to sound stupid but you also need to have more than half a tank of gas. For some reason the drive cycle wants thats. I think its for a gas cap test not sure. Just search drive cycle and follow the steps!
    filled her up with premium the night before lol.... and today well... yesterday now

Black
    2002 Firehawk Trans Am

heres what i found and am going to try

General Motors (specific) OBD II Drive Cycle

Performing a GM OBDII Driving cycle:

1. Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 122°F (50°C) and within 11°F (6°C) of the ambient air temperature at startup.
    Do not leave the key in prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.
    2. Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire, and - if closed loop is achieved- Fuel Trim.
    3. Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 55mph (88km/hr) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.
    4. Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 55mph (88km/hr) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
    5. Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 20 mph (32km/hr). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
    6. Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 55-60mph (88-96 km/hr). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.
    7. Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 55mph (88km/hr) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.
    8. Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.

PS- I need to move to florida so I dont haev to worry about inspections.... Long Tubes would be open all year round... except maybe at night lol
    Last edited by 02Hawk; 06-20-2007 at 03:21 AM. Reason: ps

Thread Information