Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

No high or low beam on DR side.

I got a 2001 TA and found I have no bright or dim on the drivers side only. The headlights go up and down fine and the passenger has high and low beams functioning. Checked bulbs and they are good, even tried swapping them. I checked for a fuse but all seems good. Tried researching and find to check fusible link, but not sure I found the right things...3 wires in pic to follow, correct?.... and I saw reference to a relay, but I do not see one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachment 26860Attachment 26861Attachment 26859

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Power for your lights actually go through the headlight motor connector. It's common that the pins get worn and will break or too much corrosion. I recently had that problem and changed out the wiring on my passenger side when replacing the headlight motor. The connector came apart but there was so much corrosion the wire's had separated from the spade terminals in the connector. If you look under the car you'll see the headlight motor and the connector from your lights high and low will go to a single connector that plugs into the motor. If your headlights have no problem flipping up and down I would suspect the connector has corrosion for the lighting side since you're not getting any lighting. Disconnect your connector and inspect all the terminals and the wiring. I would honestly start there.
    98 WS6 M6 ASC #2647
    Forged Custom 408 w/Vortec YSi

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

thanks. I will look at the connector
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Well i found my plug had been hacked off at some point and this in its place. I do not think it is the cause though because for 2 years it has worked fine and now it just like a fuse is blown and no power to either high or low on DR side. The connections are all tight and look clean other than tape residue since they had it wrapped really well.

So frustrating. I thought when I swapped the gear in the headlight motor last year I was done with headlight issues. Attachment 26862

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Looked at a wiring diagram and the fusible links would be common for passenger and driver side lamps so since your passenger side is working I would not really suspect the link. Did you try swapping relays? Only thing I could think of is a break somewhere in the wiring. I would try the relay swap. If they work after the swap just replace the relay. If not then I would start checking the resistance between the connector side and the headlight side to make sure that doesn't have a break. Flip up headlights have a tendency to pinch wires and cause internal breaks so I would start there.

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

The wiring looks good but it could be an unseen.

Which relay? I only marked for motors not the actual lights

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Nevermind the relay. If it was the relay your headlight motor would not work. I'm at a loss man. I'd say it's something in the wiring. The ground is a common ground point so check your grounds and that's all I got for you. You may have to go wire chasing man. What I see is a common splice point for power. At the splice junction the LH lighting wires are joined to the RH lighting. My best assumption would be there is a break in power from the splice on. Now both lights don't work from what you are saying so my best guess is to follow the wires to a common pinch point. What I would do is take a test light to ground and probe the headlight connector lt green wire to see if it lights up. If it doesn't light there, I would go down to the connector and disconnect it there and test light the end going into the splice. If it lights the problem is the wiring from that connector to the headlight connector. Make and rerun new wires. That piece is where I suspect you'd have an internal break. If you don't get a light from the connector to the splice I would start tearing looms apart and looking for breaks in the wiring there. Good luck buddy! Also when you do the test light check be sure your headlights are on. Some people forget. And flip your high beams to on when checking the high wires. Again just a friendly reminder because even the best of us have those moments lol

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

I am thinking it is either the module itself or I occasionally getting the grinding of the gears in the motor even after fixing last year. Maybe that has something askew.

I checked grounds as best i could and will double check the wires. The plug hacked off and rewired actually was all good that I could see.

I will look for a busted wire, but also just thought maybe i should clean up the terminals and plugs on the module itself. See if there is corrosion maybe....

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

could be the module but hard to say because if it was the module your flip ups wouldn't open either on the drivers side. I'm still leaning towards a wire busted somewhere. Check the power from the green wire out the connector when the headlights are on even if the connections look good. The module goes right into the common splice. It's one side only so I'm more inclined to focus on the wiring after the splice. If it were before then your passenger side lights wouldn't work. So before the splice you have the passenger side light and motor, Headlight actuator module, and the actual head light switch itself. Isolated after the splice you have wiring to motor/connectors and the ground for the drivers side. My best guess is an internal break in the wiring to be honest and you can't tell because the insulation would hide it.

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Well it was rather anticlimactic. However, i hate when people do not follow up to report results, so here it is.

I got the "fix" of the connection for ground and power all undone and tested a new ground, no dice. I unhook everything and plug em back in, boom. I got lights. Find the cheap connectors used on the hot wires to both lights are loose. I pinch em tight and taped them up until I can pull the bumper and get some better connectors to fully replace them. Why they used two connections and such crap on the hot wires when the grounds they twisted together are still good makes lil sense.

I appreciate all the ideas and help working through this. Was nice to have fully lit car in the snow this morning.

I do think I may buy a new motor for the lights on that side and install when I do the wiring since it does grind. They really are not too expensive.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

No worries! Glad it was the connector and you didn't go digging too far!

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Still odd that a bundle of wires taped together would randomly have both connections fail at once to me, but better than something more serious

Thread Information