Green
    1998 Trans AM

New Trans Am owner curious about 1/4 mile times

Ok... I am sure that these kind of posts get old, but I am a new LS1 owner(former mustang owner) and I am curious what you guys think my car would run. Here is a list of what is done to the car, it runs very strong and I easily pulled on my buddy who has a brand new 2010 Mustang GT the other night.

Also if anyone has any ideas what I could do next to gain some more power please let me know. I think my next mod will be ls6 intake, if I bolt on ls6 intake will I need a new tune?

Motor:
    1998 LS1 from a Camaro SS with decked heads currently has 31,000 miles
    Thunder Racing 220/220 551/551 114 cam
    Comp 918 valve springs
    hardened push rods
    Whisper Lid
    Ported stock TB
    EGR mod
    Ram Air mod
    Tune by Vengeance Racing
    Dyno @ 346rwhp and 379rwtq

Exaust:
    Dynatech Supermaxx stainless LT headers with high flow catted Y-pipe
    GMMG chambered cat back

Transmission:
    4L60E with 15,000 miles
    Yank SS 3600 stall
    aluminum drive shaft
    3:73 gears
    Line pressure increase and torque management delete by Vengeance Racing tune

Suspension:
    Stock sway bars with poly bushings
    BMR lowering springs (aprox. 1.5")
    Bilstein HD shocks
    BMR strut tower brace
    Edelbrock lower control arms
    Double adjustable panhard bar

Rear Differential:
    Stock 10 bolt rear 15,000 miles
    3:73 gears

Wheels and Tires:
    17" x 9.5" Z06 wheels powder coated silver
    4 New Falken ZE-502 275-40-ZR17

Thanks for the input

Green
    1998 Trans AM

Nobody has any input, I did not see the drag racing section until after I posted. Maybe I posted in the wrong section. Sorry if i did

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by cpw006 View Post
    Also if anyone has any ideas what I could do next to gain some more power please let me know. I think my next mod will be ls6 intake, if I bolt on ls6 intake will I need a new tune?
    Welcome aboard. Your setup looks pretty darn good. The LS6 intake will help you out for sure. You will need some tuning to since the LS6 intake doesn't have EGR. So you'll have to have that deleted from the computer. Also there might be some additional minor tweaks to the spark and fuel to get most out of the intake swap.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Slap some Mickey Thompson ET Street Drag Radials on that and it'll turn mid-12's for sure, probably faster. I have less done (no engine mods and not lowered) and turn mid 12's. I have roughly the same TC, tranny mods and gears + MTI lid with QTP SS LT's, no cats, X-pipe with TD's and Magnaflow's dumped at the axle. Best run to date is 12.59/108 with a 1.73 60'.

You should invest in an LS6 intake manifold. The LS1 intake is limiting the upper RPM potential of your cam. Being lowered you may need relocation brackets for the lower control arms. I'd also be thinking about an adjustable torque arm, preferrably a body mount type.

Like I said 12's for sure.

White
    1998 Trans Am

What kind of dyno were those number from? Dynojet or Mustang dyno? Curious about how much power you car really has since both dyno's read different from what I'm told.

Definately get the LS6 intake. For all the mods that car has done the LS6 should have been done along time ago. Get some better tires like a set of drag radials for the back and you should hit mid 12's to low 12's depending on the track conditions. I've seen 11 sec cars run 12's because the none of the cars were hooking up.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Those dyno numbers seem a little weak to me for having all that shit done to it. Hope you atleast looow 12s or 11s. Im at low 13s bone ass stock. :/ hmm well good luck to ya when you take it down the track man

Green
    1998 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch094 View Post
    Those dyno numbers seem a little weak to me for having all that shit done to it. Hope you atleast looow 12s or 11s. Im at low 13s bone ass stock. :/ hmm well good luck to ya when you take it down the track man
    I'm with you, I am hoping the previous owner just had a very mild tune. He was real big on keeping the driveabilty with his setup. I am planning on an ls6 intake and new tune in the future.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by cpw006 View Post
    I'm with you, I am hoping the previous owner just had a very mild tune. He was real big on keeping the driveabilty with his setup. I am planning on an ls6 intake and new tune in the future.
    That cam is not a big one and dyno numbers are just a tuning tool. Different dynos read different numbers, who knows on another dyno it might put down 370-400whp. I would say with the tires you have mid 12s are possible, you get some drag radials and that car dialed in and 11s are in your sights.

2010 stock mustang gt would get rick rolled by this car. It would have lost to you stock most likely.

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

You can compare against my mods... I run 12.5's consistently, but have some trouble keeping the tires planted.
    2000 WS6 TA #2946 - A4, Best 1/4: 12.5s @111mph.
    SLP LTs, 228r Cam, SY 3500, Shift kit, LS6 intake, underdrive pulleys, lid, p&p TB, Borla w/ cutout, Pro-kit springs, poly all around, Hotchkis suspension, 3.90 gears, tuned.

Green
    1998 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by 666ws6 View Post
    You can compare against my mods... I run 12.5's consistently, but have some trouble keeping the tires planted.
    If I run mid 12's or lower I will be really happy. I am planning on going to atlanta dragway with some friends sometime soon. We will see what happens.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I would definately go for the LS6 intake and a new tune. I have a pretty aggresive tune on my car, I deleted the dyno tune that I had done since it was running way to rick and we plugged in a portable wideband 02 and started tuning and driving till it was running pretty near max potential for my mods. I could probably add a little more timing but it wouldn't be worth it. My car drives great gets 250 to 325 a tank depending on how hard I'm pushing it.

White
    99 Camaro Z28

damn u got some good mods .12's for sure i say high 11's mabe ..let us know wen u go to the track

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Ya cant wait to get my ls6 intake in to get mine going...I'm taking it to the track this morning dont have much done just got the car. I'm very curious to see what it runs,
    slp lid bellows k&n ported tb borla. 6 speed. We will see. Im hoping for 13.5 but i have no clue what this will run

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

with that set up you better have pulled on a 2010 mustang.

Thread Information