Thread: New Stick

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

Talking New Stick

Hello everyone. just picked up my 02 Formula 6speed 310 hp rocket !! It has 86000 miles but it runs great. I want to do only minor mods. Whats a good catback and lid to get. I dont want it to loud. Is it true that she will run 13.50 or better bone stock?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

welcome to the site!

ls1sounds.com << go find your favorite muffler there.

most people go with the SLP lid and a K&N air filter.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Magnaflow.

SLP lid.

Then never look at SLP for parts again.
    Congrats!

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Cop View Post
    Hello everyone. just picked up my 02 Formula 6speed 310 hp rocket !! It has 86000 miles but it runs great. I want to do only minor mods. Whats a good catback and lid to get. I dont want it to loud. Is it true that she will run 13.50 or better bone stock?
    Congrats on the new ride & welcome to the site!

For the lid, go with the SLP lid...only like $80 or $90 and is a quick, easy install that gives you a good amount of hp for the money.

As far as the catback, Magnaflow is a really good choice...give or take $400 bucks brand new & is constructed of stainless steel. As far as catbacks go, almost all aftermarket brands give you roughly the same gains in hp, so the main factor you want to look at is the sound of different catbacks. In my opinion, Borla & Corsa are very nice stainless steel catbacks, but expect to shell out $800 for a Borla and almost as much for a Corsa! At half the cost, go for the Magnaflow!!

I personally like the SLP LoudMouth I & II catbacks, which are stainless steel and just as cheap as the Magnaflow...however, as the name implies, the SLP LM is significantly louder than the Magnaflow. It's a matter of personal preference, as some people love the loud & slightly raspy sound of the SLP LoudMouth and others like the quieter, throaty sound of the Magnaflow.

If you plan on getting headers in the future, you'll probably want to get the Magnaflow, as the LoudMouth is EXTREMELY loud with headers....so, since you said you don't want it too loud, you'll probably be much happier with the Magnaflow catback if you think you'll ever get headers in the future.

HAHA...Sorry to rant so much; just want to give you a fair amount of advice to help you out...

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Congrats! Nice, rare Formula you have there. Yes, you should run 13.50 @ 105 stock. My '00 WS6 did, after I put a lid on it. Any lid will work, and I am currently running a question on which muffler to put on my car.

I have Hooker LT headers and ORY, and need to change my muffler now and I am debating between the Magnaflow or the Hooker Aerochamber. So far people have said 6-2 in favor of the Magnaflow. If you don't have headers/ORY, the Hooker or Magnaflow will be a great (budget) choice for a cat back exhaust.

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

Thanks for the reply. Next year she gets new paint and it will look new, thanks again. By the way I have not seen to many Formulas with 6speeds and the V8 engine. Is the suspension the same as a Trans Am ?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Is the suspension the same as a Trans Am ?
    Mostly.
    A little softer....helping launch a bit better.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am WS6 A4

Go with the GMMG catback chambered exhaust it looks great and sounds good. As for lid SLP is good. I have a 99 WS6 A4 and bone stock I ran a 13.733 but that was with a .879 reaction time so probably could get the time down to 13.2 with a better jump. Check out GMMG Inc. talks all about their chambered exhaust.

1999 A4 WS6 Pewter, Hooker Long Tube Headers ,GMMG Catback Exhaust, QTP Off-road catted y-pipe, K&N FIPK Intake, GM 3.73's, Spohn Torque Arm,BMR LCA's Dyno Tune by PBJ.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Numba1TA View Post
    Go with the GMMG catback chambered exhaust it looks great and sounds good. As for lid SLP is good. I have a 99 WS6 A4 and bone stock I ran a 13.733 but that was with a .879 reaction time so probably could get the time down to 13.2 with a better jump. Check out GMMG Inc. talks all about their chambered exhaust.
    Chambered exhaust is LOUD. Heard it last weekend. He did have long tube headers and ORY also.

BTW, your reaction time has nothing to do with ET. Clock at the drag strip starts when you do, not based on your reaction time.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

The Hooker catback sounds very good and if you get long tubes later it will still sound good.

Flowmaster also sounds very good but not many people care for them.
    SLP LT's, SLP High Flow Cats, 3" Flowmaster CB, Comp Cam, SLP Lid, LS6 Intake, BBK 80mm TB, SFC, Ram Air HO Hood, Lowered, Torq Thrust II's

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

Cool Photos

How do you post pictures?

black
    1999 Firebird Formula

How do you post pictures?
    go to photobucket.com

Upload your photos

then copy the url of the photo and paste it when you post. Hey just to let you know go to sffba.net. That is a florida fbody site and your in miami so we do meets by there. Oh yeah welcome to the v8 family, and your car is my twin....

Thread Information