Thread: New Guy

1998 pontiac trans am

New Guy

Hello All. Have been getting a great deal of information from this site for a while. Thanks to all as well as the Site Host. I have made the decision to sale my bike and instead of buying a C5 Corvette for 17k, I am going to put money into My 98 Trans Am A4. While i love to watch the guys at the drag strip. I am going in the Pro-Touring direction. The car has 120,00 miles and all is in good working order. I have completed the "Free Mods", installed MTI lid, Max Energy Tuner and a Flow Master cat back. Over the last few weeks i have assembled a shopping list, and i am looking for some feedback/suggestion/experiences with any of the products/distributors. Any Info is greatly Appreciated. The list is as follows

-Trufiber Firebird Fiberglass Hood:1998-2002 WS9 Extractor Ram Air Hood LMP
    -18" Fits Corvette Z06 Replica Wheels & Tires -17x9.5 -18x10.5 O.E.W
    -SLP Performance 30046 - SLP Performance Full Length Headers W/Cats
    -Patriot Performance 8402 GM LS6 Series Stage II Head and Cam Kit
    -Edelbrock 52022 - Edelbrock Total Handling Suspension Kit
    -Weiand "Air Ram" intake manifold
    -EBC Brake Rotors/Red Stuff pads and KYB Shock on all 4 Corners

This list puts me around $7-8K. I know there are some things missing like Paint for the hood. and getting the PCM tuned.
    Thanks again.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Nice list!! Sounds like you're gonna have quite a nice ride there. The only suggestion I have is to stay far away from those SLP headers. They have terrible ground clearance. The popular headers for our f-bodies are Kooks, American Racing Headers, Pacesetter, Texas Speed, and Ebay super cheap headers. you'll have to get the matching Y-pipe to which ever headers you choose

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

G'day and welcome.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have used EBC red pads and there good and still running my BMR springs with a set if KYB AGX's and for the price I have had good luck with them. Make sure.to get new GM strut mounts up front as my car is a 98 and mine sticks were in brought shape, stay away from any aftermarket mounts I broke one a month after install and it trashed my strut, was a expensive mistake I.learned a lot from. No.issues with the factory mounts I am running now. Also I agree with the SLP headers having poor ground clearan, I am running QTP's since I couldn't afford kook's with all the other mods I was doing at the same time and have had great luck with them the past couple yrs.
    I have a 98 A4 and with all the bolt ons and suspension I could have easily bought a C5 but.where is the fun in that. More fun having a TA and smoking a C5.

1998 pontiac trans am

Thanks guys. Any recommendations on a header system W/cats that has a good ground clearance. For a 98

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Pretty any header and catted y-pipe setup fits well with good ground clearance except the SLP stuff. The Kooks and ARH stuff tuck up really well.

Here's my Kooks and ORY ground clearance pic

We call that the Miller Lite Measurement

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

That can wouldn't even fit under my SFC's,lol

Big JTA: Welcome aboard, let me know how you like the intake. I was looking at that one, but went with an LS6 to save some money for other upgrades at the time.
    LS6 2.5 heads, OBX LT's, LM1, MS3 cam, 12 bolt Moser, Koni 4/4's, UMI EVERYTHING!
    My build thread:http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123827
    My Halloween Forum http://www.hauntersnation.com

1998 pontiac trans am

there is truly no end to the usefulness of a beer can, thanks guys think i am going with the ARH headers W/Cats

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Excellent choice and quite possibly the best choice out there. Make sure to post a beer can ground clearance pic when you get it installed

Thread Information