Talking New Exhaust Installed - SLP LM I

Last night I finally installed my SLP Loudmouth I exhaust. I took my car to my buddy's house who had all the tools I would need. Mind you, it was 7 degrees outside! With a 1000watt halogen lamp, space heater, and some beer we were good to go!

The install took longer than expected, but this is my first "project" I have done to my car. We started a little after 8:00 P.M and did not finish until after 1:30 AM. After I disconnected the pipe from the factory y-pipe, we could not remove the exhaust from over the axle (partially due to not have a car lift and it would hit the floor). So, I had to cut the exhaust near the axle (which took longer than expected). First time using a cutoff wheel, I pushed too hard and the pipe ate the disc for dinner! haha. We had to run to the parts store and pick up a few more discs. Once the exhaust was cut, we could remove it over the axle.

I thought installing the exhaust would be harder than it was, but I was pretty impressed. The main thing that took up some time was lining up the pipes to the middle of the cut-outs in the bumper, and make sure it is not hanging low. Once you have it lined up, start tightening all the clamps.

Here comes to dumb part *palm to face*. I didn't realize until after we tightening the dual tip clamps that they are on the wrong side! Since the bump slightly curves inward, the shorter tips need to be on the inward curve. Somehow I did not catch that. Oh well! I am going to take the car to a muffler shop to have the tips tact welded on instead of using the clamps. I did notice on the way home, there is a small rattle when I start to slow down or am stopped. We made sure everything was tightened. If you grab the exhaust, it really doesn't move at all. I am think the noise is coming from the pipe going over the axle. This afternoon, I fired up the car and you could hear the rattle. I crawled under the car and grabbed the pipe that connects to the tips and the noise stopped. When I let go, I could hear it again; which it sounds like it is coming front he axle area. I'll have the muffler shop look at it when I get the tips tact welded on.

She (Jade) sounds really good. To me, it does not seem obnoxiously loud, hell, I want it louder! Check out the video below of the install and a few startups (before and after exhaust was installed). I will say, the iPhone 5 does not do justice to the sound. It sounds much better in person. I'll retake another video on my HD video camera and repost it.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

You want obnoxious, get rid of your cats and put long tubes on. Then, your neighbors will hate you and old people will shake their fists at you on the highway. It sounds like you are at full throttle at 3k rpm.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Oh, and did you check to make sure that rattle isn't at your Y right under the driver's seat? That is ususally where our exhausts rattle.

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Oh, and did you check to make sure that rattle isn't at your Y right under the driver's seat? That is ususally where our exhausts rattle.
    No I didn't. When I looked under the car it seems like it is coming from over the axle. I searched online and several people mentioned it comes from there. They said to use heat resistant tape or wrap to act as a buffer between the exhaust pipe and the panhard bar. I will try it and see what happens.

Mystic Teal Metallic:320c
    1998 Camaro Z/28

nice song in the vid! and i saw you put that your car is bright green met. but it looks like mystic teal metallic or blue-green chameleon, what ever you want to call it.... it might just be the vid but just my .02

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Yeah, the y will bang against the floor boards. Sometimes, motor mounts will fix it, but usually, tweaking the y will does it. It has to do with how the engine rotates. That is also why you will find driver's side exhaust manifold bolts siezed, and pass side bolts loose, or missing.....

Quote Originally Posted by robs98mysticZ View Post
    nice song in the vid! and i saw you put that your car is bright green met. but it looks like mystic teal metallic or blue-green chameleon, what ever you want to call it.... it might just be the vid but just my .02
    Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. Not sure why they named it Bright Green Metallic, but that is what comes up for the color code (31U). Here is the 4th Gen production breakdown Trans Am World - 1998 Firebird Breakdown

Yeah, the y will bang against the floor boards. Sometimes, motor mounts will fix it, but usually, tweaking the y will does it. It has to do with how the engine rotates. That is also why you will find driver's side exhaust manifold bolts siezed, and pass side bolts loose, or missing.....
    Okay, thank you for the information. Hopefully I can get to it this week (depending on weather) and I will post the outcome.

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

Nice. I want the LM1 for my car w/long tube headers. May uncle sam will let me buy some.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Doing an exhaust system in 7 deg. at night with a friend and some beer is an entry into manhood. We have all been their at one time or another. It builds character. O' to be young again. lol
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Look into the heat shield above the axle, the pipe might be rubbing there causing your rattle. Doubt it's the y pipe being its still stock

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Look into the heat shield above the axle, the pipe might be rubbing there causing your rattle. Doubt it's the y pipe being its still stock
    Agree. I am 99% confident your LM1 is hitting where it goes over the axle. My LM2 did the same thing. Just needs a little finesse and you'll be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Doing an exhaust system in 7 deg. at night with a friend and some beer is an entry into manhood. We have all been their at one time or another. It builds character. O' to be young again. lol
    lol!

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Agree. I am 99% confident your LM1 is hitting where it goes over the axle. My LM2 did the same thing. Just needs a little finesse and you'll be good to go.
    Alright, thanks! Now that I think about it, I am sure this is where it is hitting. We were adjusting the pipes over the axle to get the tips as close to the top of the bumper as possible without it touching. I didn't want them to hang too low and look like crap. Maybe we have it adjusted too high and that is why it is hitting?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

You want obnoxious, get rid of your cats and put long tubes on. Then, your neighbors will hate you and old people will shake their fists at you on the highway. It sounds like you are at full throttle at 3k rpm.

^^^
    This!

Good Job....

Just to show the difference between stock heads with cats vs headers only. Opps I forgot to warn my son holding the camera

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

Where did you end up buying your LM1...ebay?...SLP performace website? Do you mind me asking how much?

Quote Originally Posted by initechpeter View Post
    Where did you end up buying your LM1...ebay?...SLP performace website? Do you mind me asking how much?
    I bought it directly from SLP back in December. They had some special during the 25 days of Christmas. I bought it for $320.00 with free shipping.

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

Got a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by initechpeter View Post
    Got a good deal.
    Very much so!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

sooooo whats next?

Thread Information