Pewter
    1999 Trans Am WS6 A4

Need Tune & Strong Rear

I just got K&N Fuel Injected Air Intake, Hooker LT headers, QTP off road cataylitic y-pipe, and GMMG chambered exhaust put on my WS6 and was wondering how much a tune will cost and what type of tune is the best. Also what other mods would be good with this setup and how can I make the rear end stronger? thanks

Slowass SUX!!

09 Sierra Denali AWD
    2001 T/A WS6 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Numba1TA View Post
    I just got K&N Fuel Injected Air Intake, Hooker LT headers, QTP off road cataylitic y-pipe, and GMMG chambered exhaust put on my WS6 and was wondering how much a tune will cost and what type of tune is the best. Also what other mods would be good with this setup and how can I make the rear end stronger? thanks
    I got quoted for a good tune (on the computer ...takes a while hours) and dynotime $500

Black
    2002 Trans Am

thats the same i got quoted at when i went in to ask if i can do decent heads and cam and still pass smog in california

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

That 10 bolt will eventually blow no matter how you try to make it stronger.

Around $500 seems close to what it would cost for a good tune, I got mine on the east coast and I think I payed around $400 or so.

Are you an auto or M6?

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by chieftransam View Post
    That 10 bolt will eventually blow no matter how you try to make it stronger.

Around $500 seems close to what it would cost for a good tune, I got mine on the east coast and I think I payed around $400 or so.

Are you an auto or M6?

I'm an A4 and was thinking about doing 3.73 gears and some kind of girdle

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

Well that 10 bolt should last a little longer (since your an A4) than say someone with a m6.

You can do the girdle but I'm honestly not sure how much stronger it will make it. I never messed with the girdle. After I busted my r&p I just upgraded to a 12 bolt, now I have no worries! I'm sure there are people that know a few ways to make that 10 bolt a little stronger, just not me.
    Patriot Stage II-59cc | little cam-230/234 .612/.598 112 | Hooker LT's l Custom Y-w/cats l Moser 12 l LCA l SFC l STB l K&N l 160 thermo l SLP ud pulley- l SLP linelock l PRO 5.0 l

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am #693

Since you're A4 like me I recommend Moser 12 bolt rear with either 3.73's or 4.10's. The 10 bolt stockie can last depending on how hard you run the car, but I would definitely recommend the 12 bolt if it is strictly for racing.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Cronex View Post
    Since you're A4 like me I recommend Moser 12 bolt rear with either 3.73's or 4.10's. The 10 bolt stockie can last depending on how hard you run the car, but I would definitely recommend the 12 bolt if it is strictly for racing.
    Ok sounds good and what gears do you have and at what RPM would I be reving at with 4.10's while driving on the highway. Im trying to keep the car streetable but still perform at the track. would like to find myself somewhere in the 11's. Whats your opinion on cams?

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by chieftransam View Post
    Well that 10 bolt should last a little longer (since your an A4) than say someone with a m6.

You can do the girdle but I'm honestly not sure how much stronger it will make it. I never messed with the girdle. After I busted my r&p I just upgraded to a 12 bolt, now I have no worries! I'm sure there are people that know a few ways to make that 10 bolt a little stronger, just not me.
    Is the Moser 12 bolt good or is their better and does GM make 9" rear ends or is that just Ford? How much hp gain did you see with your small cam setup.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am #693

Quote Originally Posted by Numba1TA View Post
    Ok sounds good and what gears do you have and at what RPM would I be reving at with 4.10's while driving on the highway. Im trying to keep the car streetable but still perform at the track. would like to find myself somewhere in the 11's. Whats your opinion on cams?
    I still have the stock 10 bolt with 2.73 gears, which is the norm for a baseline TA. I don't know what you would be reving at with 4.10's, sorry, maybe someone with 4.10's could answer that for you. If you want it street and or track then generally people opt. for 3.73's. But some other people use 4.10's for street / track too. Depends on preference / set-up.

As for cams, you could go with something small or mild and get into 11's.
    Last edited by Cronex; 11-20-2008 at 11:23 PM.

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

I have the Midwest Chassis 9" rearend with 4.10's. In 6th gear doing 65 or 70, I'm taching around 2200....2300rpm. When I still had my '98 with 3.73's I was taching around 1800 to 1900rpm. One thing is for sure, with the 4.10's, it raps out a whole lot quicker....I find myself hitting the rev limiter faster. Much different from the factory 3.42's that were in it eons ago!! I really don't think it's much of a sacrifice revving 500 more rpms on gas mileage compared to the quickness you gain in the process!!!

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    I have the Midwest Chassis 9" rearend with 4.10's. In 6th gear doing 65 or 70, I'm taching around 2200....2300rpm. When I still had my '98 with 3.73's I was taching around 1800 to 1900rpm. One thing is for sure, with the 4.10's, it raps out a whole lot quicker....I find myself hitting the rev limiter faster. Much different from the factory 3.42's that were in it eons ago!! I really don't think it's much of a sacrifice revving 500 more rpms on gas mileage compared to the quickness you gain in the process!!!
    Thanx for the advice so i guess I should go with the 4.10s and it will still be streetable. I was hoping the RPM's would stay somewere in the low 2000 range on the highway.

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Please allow me to correct myself.....in 6th gear with 4.10's, I'm taching 1800 to 1900 rpm doing 65 to 70mph. Sorry, I mostly travel these backroads of Tennessee and rarely get out on the highway, I broke the law today on the way to church to get the actual rpm's at that specific speed...God forgive me!

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Some of these thread titles need a little more thought........lol. Could be a chick asking the question but, who knows.........lol.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    Some of these thread titles need a little more thought........lol. Could be a chick asking the question but, who knows.........lol.
    Yeah I read that and was like dang what was I thinking when i typed that up lol. I assure u Im no girl since we have talked before . U said u were a member of fast didnt u cause i just raced some member of fast with a red 97 LT1 Trans Am, his name is Tom maybe u know him, so how do I join.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Not sure who Tom is. I'm still a noob getting to know most of the guys on FAST. Getting to know the STLSpeed.net guys and girls too.

Always have fun on cruises around here. Always a race or two.

Thread Information