Need Some Advice.

I'm interested in purchasing a Trans Am, i have found a 1998 for 8895 with 85k miles. Its at a dealership and i will be trading in my truck, it is an 01 dodge ram 1500 4x4 sport offroad, i was wondering if you guys could tell me if/what a difference would be acceptable on a trade like this. Also the T/A doesn't have the ram air hood which i personally love so where can i get one ? And is there anything to look for on them to see if they have been abused/ what breaks most common ?

red
    98 trans am

Thumbs up

That sound like a steal. I have 98 ta and love it. The rear end is the common week point in all ta's. If you drive it listen for bearing noises in back of the car. Like I said it sounds like a steal.

black
    2000 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by jame View Post
    That sound like a steal. I have 98 ta and love it. The rear end is the common week point in all ta's. If you drive it listen for bearing noises in back of the car. Like I said it sounds like a steal.

i just recently bought a 2000 ws6 and i think im hearing some bearing noises coming from the rear, how would i found out which and which bearings would they most likely be and are they easily fixable? or should i just replace them all? and im doing the work myself so a shop is out of the ?

Would it be worth getting a formula or go for a Trans Am. I was looking around and the difference is the cosmetics, which i could not so if someone could point them out to me i would much appreciate it.

Impounded

Atlantic Blue
    2005 Legacy GT Stage 2

A trans am has 2 round fog lights in the front bumper, and it has the higher rise spolier, and ground effects.

white
    98 Ram air T/A Ls1/T-56

that sounds like a great deal to me, go for it, you can purchase an aftermarket hood for 350-700 bucks and have it painted, that will give you the look you are after.

I have a 98, bought it with 84k on it only problem I have had was the alternator and power steering pump. (pump leaked on alternator and killed it) Love the car.

k i called again yesterday and talked thats why i asked about the forumla because he now says its a formula trans am?

So i just i may just wait around for a trans am to pop up and try to sell my truck out right, since ill have this car for awhile and would like to get what i want on the first shot. So imma look for a reg. T/A non WS6 and put a Ram air hood and some mods on it!

Impounded

Atlantic Blue
    2005 Legacy GT Stage 2

Well do you have any pics, because the term forumla trans am usually means its a Trans Am. Does it have the spoiler that comes off the hatch? The formulas spoiler is built into the hatch

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

also the trans am front bumper is differant. Turn signals are in a differant place and the fog lights are in the center.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

all trans ams start as a formula ad then the front bumper rear spoiler t tops and ground effects turn it into a trans am. dealers and insurance will call it formula trans am. if its a formula it will be a firebird formula which most commonly looks just like a regular old firebird, but it will have the V8 in it. things that go wrong normally that I have seen/worked on are.. power windows water pump/water pump gaskets. body and frame twist if you have t tops or convertible. (get sub frame connectors) and if your real mean to it pushrods are a little to soft so red lining is not your friend. and rear end. but those shouldn't give you problems if you don't just flat out rape your cars gas pedal lol.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e=&cardist=200

for anyone thats interested i think its just a formula so imma sell my truck and wait for a nice trans am to come around. Maybe save enough for a WS6

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

yep, that would be a formula...hey, that's a nice car. I wouldst count it out just yet. you should go take a look at it in person

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

i would recommend going for a test drive and tell the sales man you want at least a day to think about it. here's why: that pic looks like a legit formula, but take a picture of the door sticker with the codes on it. then search the forum for the thread about what codes mean its a real formula. chances are its all good, but i work hard for my money and frankly i dont trust stealerships.

my 99t/a has 95k on it and ive had it since august last year. so far, water gasket/water pump, needs wipers, stock clutch slipping (after 95k miles? shit son...)
    and i drive the shit out of this car
    '99 Trans Am Pewter M6
    St. Louis, MO
    Mods/upgrades: SLP lid-Longtubes-ORY-LM2 catback, drilled rotors&Hawk pads, MSD wires
    PITA: window motors+regulator, brass gear, DRL sockets X 7
    Soon: clutch, LS6 intake
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I know members here scream about SeaFoam. Many voted for Obama also.

chubby there any T/A's down in STL. Thats alot closer to me than chicago

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

I would recommend against. Its going to cost over $1k to get a hood and paint it (at least with good paint that matches body). And if you didn't get that, there would be no difference in looks between that and a V6.

Then it doesn't have leather or anything like that that T/A's came with standard. I'd say wait, unless the guy is willing to go lower.

I got my car at the official Jag dealer for $7500 and its a T/A with leather and all and had 67k miles on it, and 1 owner. Then again, they were asking $9k on mine too. I say wait and get a ws6 thats a good deal for $1k or so and you will have the hood, wider tires, leather, slightly better suspension etc.

Thread Information