White
    2001 ws6 Trans AM

Need Advice on exhaust and much more

So far i just got a new ws6, the last owner says it is bone stock. im looking for exhaust, headers, catback, catalytice converters and cold air intake. i just have no idea what im really looking at for the whole exhaust setup and what not i want the sound to be as close to a muscle car roar as possible. i like the sound of this clip [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y54SZs-J9Y&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y54SZs-J9Y&feature=related[/ame] but i have really no idea bout that car just like its sound. any other clips that sound simi close to it or if you have and thing you like they are welcome. also with the cold air intake, like i said im kind of a newbie at this but anyways i dont know. i know i want the k&n cold air intake but i dont understand the different concepts of slp lids. do i need both or what? also with brakes how do you get them not to SQUEEK , brake pads are fine so i dont understand it. also service engine light will come on and a hour or 2 driving minutes later it will go off then again come back on in a few then off and on etc.

advice is appreciated

thanks

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have the Volant twin filter setup since I wanted something different and if works good with my aftermarket WS6 hood after you do a little cutting so you can see the filters through the black vents. As far as Lt's go just get a good stainless header like QTP, Kooks, and there are several other companies. The you can either get the matching ypipe and a catback or if you want a mean sound my friend ran dual Dynomax bullet mufflers that were dumped at the axle but you could go all the way back to the bumper.I had a Flowmaster and it sound good with the factory exhaust but they get raspy layer when doing the lt's and especially and ory. Go on you tube and you can find some great clips to listen to and decide.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Do you need to do a visual inspection during Smog Check?

If not the best bang for the buck are LT headers with a True Dual exhaust and an X (or an H) pipe. While they can be done all the way to the rear I didn't bother.

See sig for setup...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

2000 Trans Am

I have to agree that true duals sounds the best to me. I have had two different sets of them as well as a bunch of different catbacks. Texas Speed makes them for our cars for around $450 but you will have no cats.

I went with LPP stainless headers and the combination of those two is the best sounding car I have owned.

OR if you must have cats Texas Speed has a catted y pipe and you can use any catback you want. Flowmasters sound good but dont help performance so i would forget them. I like magnaflows sound and theyre stainless too so no rust.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Very happy with our Kooks LT's, catted Y and Magnaflow catback. It has the "muscle car" sound you are referring to without any annoying drone or rasp. After a few months, I added an electric cutout to it and doubled my fun.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Ive got the dynomax bullet with a ORY stilll with the factory cats and i love the sound but it is pretty loud when you get into it but at idle it has a nice deep solid tone

silver
    2002 Trans AM

Smile

If you have the money, get a good set of SS LT's- a little more money but IMO well worth it in the long run and a good exhaust shop should be able to build you a nice true dual setup for under a grand. I'm having my exhaust installed next week, Kooks 1 7/8 LT, true dual to over the axle with Spinntech mufflers and no cats. I'll try to post a video if someone can show me how. The shop that's doing it has an 05 GTO with the same setup with a big cam and it sounds unbelievable. BTW you also might want to do some suspension mods along with the exhaust if you have the cash. Good luck

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by azkass View Post
    If you have the money, get a good set of SS LT's- a little more money but IMO well worth it in the long run and a good exhaust shop should be able to build you a nice true dual setup for under a grand. I'm having my exhaust installed next week, Kooks 1 7/8 LT, true dual to over the axle with Spinntech mufflers and no cats. I'll try to post a video if someone can show me how. The shop that's doing it has an 05 GTO with the same setup with a big cam and it sounds unbelievable. BTW you also might want to do some suspension mods along with the exhaust if you have the cash. Good luck

You can post a vid the same way you do pics by uploading it to Photobucket.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

I am installing hooker lt's super comps hooker y pipe no cats and a hooker cat back. I wanted something different i should have this stuff on buy the end of next week so ill be posting a sound clip and some pics. The best part is i only have about $600 into the whole exhaust system.

White
    2001 ws6 Trans AM

is too much air intake bad? like if i were to hook up 102mm Intake Manifold, k&N cold air intake, and a F.A.S.T. 102mm Throttle Body?

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by cspeich2011 View Post
    is too much air intake bad? like if i were to hook up 102mm Intake Manifold, k&N cold air intake, and a F.A.S.T. 102mm Throttle Body?
    You won't get much gain off of those unless you increase displacement. LS6 manifold is just fine for a stock cube motor. Just get a ported TB off ebay and you should be fine since your car already has the LS6 intake.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

scratch that last post i just got my new exhaust finished, no cats with ORY LT hooker hedders and borla muffler and i fuckin love it its definately the way to go. ill try and post a vid of it later

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

Kooks LT's, catted Y pipe with a GMMG cat-back. Expensive but you'll have no regrets!

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

i think op car sounds bad ass....and i love white with ceta mod...

Thread Information