Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

My Weekend Project

This was my weekend project. I just got this LS6 intake and wanted it to stand out besides the boring flat black. This is just the first step in dressing up the engine bay.

Prep

after 2 coats of adhesive promoter (1 light 1 medium), 3 coats of primer (2 light, 1 Medium), then 3 coats of color (2 light, 1 medium)

added a light 4th coat of color

after 4 coats of clear

And I also installed a ported TB that is seen in the prep pic. I couldn't wait till this was installed. I'm waiting on the LS6 coolant bypass to get here. Should be here on WED. So next weekend this is getting put on.

comparison shots

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Looks great!

Navy Blue Metallic

ohh I used all Duplicolor products and the help thread on here. That really made it easy.

Thanks Jeff

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

So that's where the $600 went? Nice!

Great work on the intake!

Where did you get the ported TB from?

Navy Blue Metallic

Not all of it went there. I bought my wife off by giving her a $100 to go do what ever she wanted. (I've been buying stuff every month now, I needed to share something ) I paid $325 for the intake and $75 for the ported TB, then I ordered the LS6 coolant by pass so I wouldn't have to shave the bottom. I don't know if the new TB added any HP but it damn sure gave it a very noticeable responsiveness and my neighbor says my exhaust sounds more throaty

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Not all of it went there. I bought my wife off by giving her a $100 to go do what ever she wanted. (I've been buying stuff every month now, I needed to share something ) I paid $325 for the intake and $75 for the ported TB, then I ordered the LS6 coolant by pass so I wouldn't have to shave the bottom. I don't know if the new TB added any HP but it damn sure gave it a very noticeable responsiveness and my neighbor says my exhaust sounds more throaty
    lol. I wish a $100 would make the g/f get my ass about spending money on the car.

Did you get your TB ported, or purchased it already ported?

Navy Blue Metallic

It was ported. At first I couldn't tell if it had been, but after I got my old (OEM) one off I then could see the difference.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Intake looks good. Wish I would have had painted mine before the install even more now. Oh well maybe I'll paint it while my buddy is doing the cam and stall. Looks good keep it up and you have a nice unique bird that's all you.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Navy Blue Metallic

It really only takes a day. Also use some surface cleaner that removes grease and grime. I used some stuff that painters used that my neighbor let me have and that stuff work great.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

You're going to like that ported TB! I just installed mine yesterday (39.95 off Ebay), and I really did notice a differece. I can't say it will run any better at the track yet, but the throttle response is definitely better, and it feels like it pulls harder off the line.

Having 2.73's, it always feels a bit sluggish off the line, but in comparison, the thing just leaps off the line now. Prob the best 40 bucks I ever spent.

I also did the TB bypass while I was i nthere. It's doubful if that makes any power, but it made reinstalling the TB just a little easir since I didn't have to mess with the coolant lines.

Oh, and the intake looks great! If I ever change mine, I plan on doing the same thing. NBM FTW!!!

Navy Blue Metallic

Thx, that was my first time outside of painting models doing something like this. I have to say I now have more confidence to get some blank fuel rail covers and painting them myself. Now the lettering I'll need someone else for that.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Thx, that was my first time outside of painting models doing something like this. I have to say I now have more confidence to get some blank fuel rail covers and painting them myself. Now the lettering I'll need someone else for that.
    I paint cars for a living and the fuel rail blanks are easy I've even done some multicolor GTOcovers. If you want the letters paintedon all you have to do it go to a local sticker shop and have them cut the lettering out in spraymask. Paint the letter color 1st then apply the spraymask letters paint the main color. Peel the letters and clearcoat them. All the spraymask is is a sheet of masking tape they cut letters and designs out of. I like it for ghost flames and other special jobs since I'm not a great airbrush artist or great at taping off flames and designs so I have them computer do the design and cut it and all you have to do is apply paint and remove makes it look like a pro did it.

Navy Blue Metallic

Ryan I have some ideas on how I want them done, but that is a little down the road for now. (got to order them when I get more $$) I may hit you up later on getting some more details and pointers

White
    1998 Trans Am

No problem just hit ne up when you wanna start your next project and I'll give you any advice I can. I have done other covers and a couple Fast intake but just disn't get sound to doing mine. Paying work always comes 1st so my car has to take a back seat.

Thread Information