Thread: My Rebuild

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

My Rebuild

Just to start off, I've never built a motor before. I have a t/a with 175k on the clock and when it gets to 200k

i guess my ideal build at this point would include porting the factory heads, rods, springs, intake, headers. maybe a cam. don't want reliability issues or surge... etc though and i'll be doing the tuning all myself so since it's a 2000 model, best ls1 factory cam, i was thinking of putting that off til i have a daily driver and am ready to have some real fun. for now the idea i suppose is to stay as close to stock as possible but do some fun shit while i have the engine apart anyway to make it interesting.

anybody else ever do this kind of build? it would be awesome to just write some dude a check but trust me, the $$$ precludes that. i have friends who can help with the build (and will...) so the labor shouldn't be much of an issue. partswise, i'm thinking i can get the heads ported and pick up a timing chain, probably ebay headers, ls6 intake, springs and rods for somewhere under $2k. i'd like to spin the motor higher to around 6.5 or 7k so if there's something else that needs to happen to do that then let me know.

2011 Prius

I think the 00, have an LS6 intake?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    I think the 00, have an LS6 intake?
    2001 and 2002 got the LS6 intake from the factory, 2000 and below had the LS1 intake.

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    2001 and 2002 got the LS6 intake from the factory, 2000 and below had the LS1 intake.
    Ahhh, I see. I thought it included the 2000.

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

What kind of budget did you have in mind. You can get pretty crazy and still have a decent DD. And when you say you will be doing your own tuning, do have a hand held or software(HP, Edit, etc)?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by richard head View Post
    Just to start off, I've never built a motor before. I have a t/a with 175k on the clock and when it gets to 200k

i guess my ideal build at this point would include porting the factory heads, rods, springs, intake, headers. maybe a cam. don't want reliability issues or surge... etc though and i'll be doing the tuning all myself so since it's a 2000 model, best ls1 factory cam, i was thinking of putting that off til i have a daily driver and am ready to have some real fun. for now the idea i suppose is to stay as close to stock as possible but do some fun shit while i have the engine apart anyway to make it interesting.

anybody else ever do this kind of build? it would be awesome to just write some dude a check but trust me, the $$$ precludes that. i have friends who can help with the build (and will...) so the labor shouldn't be much of an issue. partswise, i'm thinking i can get the heads ported and pick up a timing chain, probably ebay headers, ls6 intake, springs and rods for somewhere under $2k. i'd like to spin the motor higher to around 6.5 or 7k so if there's something else that needs to happen to do that then let me know.
    Put at least a 224/228 cam in. Spinning your stock cam to 6500-7000 grand will too nothing for power.

Your replacing everything besides the cam, I see zero reason to not install a different cam.

Thread Information