Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    1998 trans am

Exclamation Is my rear end going bad or what?

sometimes when when I make a turn to the left or to the right at slower speeds I get a clunking sound from the rear end. it sounds like It's coming from the brakes or the brake calipers. are they hitting my rims or something? Or is my rear end going bad?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Sounds like your rear is taking a dump on you. I hope you have been saving for a rainy day
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

red
    2001 formula

I wouldnt jump into the rearend replacement so fast. Did you do anything to the rearend of the car lately? Tire pressures good? Disc pads good? Lug nuts tight? Is your rearend A positraction? Could need a fluid change. Get a buddy to ride in the back of the car with the hatch open while driving and see if they can locate the noise.

Pewter
    '07 Silverado

Could be axle bearings, loose suspension, differential, any number of things.

+1 for having a back seater try to locate the noise.

You could jack it up and check it out, loose bolts, try spinning the wheels, etc.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I had the same noise coming from my truck but it could be different it was like Hulk Hogan was punching my rear end when i would turn at a certain degree or more. I hope its not the same for you cause my rear end was shot. Then it broke so bad it wouldnt even turn the back wheels all the teeth were gone i put it in 4 wheel drive and had a front wheel drive GMC Jimmy it burned out so hardcore lol.
    The mechanic gave me the rear end gears they were so bad so a kid hit my truck with a dollar coin so we threw the gears at his car and chased it around broke his back windshield and dented the hell out of his 1987 corolla then my friend John smashed into the kid with his Truck and the kids just ran lol no damage to his truck brushguard=fun.

Green
    1997 ws-6

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    I had the same noise coming from my truck but it could be different it was like Hulk Hogan was punching my rear end when i would turn at a certain degree or more. I hope its not the same for you cause my rear end was shot. Then it broke so bad it wouldnt even turn the back wheels all the teeth were gone i put it in 4 wheel drive and had a front wheel drive GMC Jimmy it burned out so hardcore lol.
    The mechanic gave me the rear end gears they were so bad so a kid hit my truck with a dollar coin so we threw the gears at his car and chased it around broke his back windshield and dented the hell out of his 1987 corolla then my friend John smashed into the kid with his Truck and the kids just ran lol no damage to his truck brushguard=fun.
    sounds like some very serious redneck action going on there.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

None of us are rednecks lol Tall white Jocks lol but not rednecks

Last of the Breed Pewter02Formula's Avatar

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Firebird Formula

If it sounds like a rapid rattling/clunking sound, most people who've been on this site have experienced it. Some say it's normal, some say it's not. Most say it's in the differential. A lot of people have spent a lot of money to try & track it down, but there's still no general agreement as to what it is.

Mine has made that noise since day 1, and I've had it checked by three different mechanics who all say things look normal back there. One of these was a Pontiac dealer and he said a lot of people complain about that sound, but that it's harmless. Dunno if I believe that or not, but nothing has gone seriously wrong with my car in 5 years, other than a leaky pinion seal, which I just had fixed today.

2001 WS6, 2003 SRT4(sold)

I have it as well.. I had my gears looked at and they were fine.

White
    1998 trans am

ya I jacked it up rotated the wheels no sounds coming from the rear pumpkin. I do have posi track limited slip, idk I asked my dad he thought that it could be once the rear warms it it could be expanding so that would let the rear clutch pack slip? he din't know if it was a mechanical rear end or a clutch though? what kind of rear ends come stock? and is that a posibility?

White
    1998 trans am

The clunk kind of sounds like it's coming from around the brake area but when i jack it up it's quiet I don't get it

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I'd check the calipers first..sometimes the rubber booties get worn out.

White
    1998 trans am

checked rubber booties checked rear end pumkin oil all is good. I'm not sure what else to check. could it be wheel bearings or I need more lub.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

lower control arms could be bad. Put some high dolla ones on, fool!

ok, sorry...but really, a clunk in a turn sounds like something is moving around, so i'd suspect the suspension

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

WTF, NOTHING! is wrong with this guy's car. The paddle unit in the Torsen is just banging around. Normal operation. If you don't like my anwer: www.torsen.com Call them up and ask. They will tell you the same thing.

Black
    2002 T/A WS6

well i dont know off the top of my head who makes our rear ends and cant exactly go outside and look right now (i am in the pacific ocean car is in Texas) but the link left about torsen rearends has "Click on this applications link to see what other vehicles use the TORSENĀ® differential!" and our cars are not listed.

White
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    lower control arms could be bad. Put some high dolla ones on, fool!

ok, sorry...but really, a clunk in a turn sounds like something is moving around, so i'd suspect the suspension
    sorry Maybe I wasn't very clear. It clunks going straight as well in turns in forward and reverse. and it only does it after it's warmed up say a half hour or so. sooo I really doubt it's the susp.

White
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by stanger88 View Post
    WTF, NOTHING! is wrong with this guy's car. The paddle unit in the Torsen is just banging around. Normal operation. If you don't like my anwer: www.torsen.com Call them up and ask. They will tell you the same thing.
    wtf yourself dude ... if that loud clunk sound is normal when the car is heated up I"m really dissapointed with pontiac and I'm a pontiac guy. I have a 78 trans am as well and that thing is built like a tank

Pewter
    '07 Silverado

My rear end never made any noise, then I changed the fluid and it immediately started making some clunking noises after the fluid had warmed up. I used 80-90 lucas gear oil. I think that was probably the issue. Maybe try a different gear oil in there. Unfortunately I sold my baby before I had a chance to change it again and see if the sound went away. I also had a popping sound from the left rear spring, but that was at any temperature. I had considered using the thick oil 90-145 or whatever it is but if you live where it gets below freezing in the winter that's probably not a good idea.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I get the clunking sound when i am moving slowly, in first gear, at anywhere between 1200-1900 rpms, and I push in on the clutch to slow down or stop. I'm not sure if its the rear yet but I think it is. I just haven't investigated it yet.

Thread Information