Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Mod Plan

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

My Mod Plan

Ok so I recently bought a 2002 Trans Am WS6 M6. My plan is just to do some light modding to the car, I want to keep it more of a stock setup for future value wise. There is already an SLP Loudmouth II exhaust on it from when I bought it. So with this said I am looking to just do small bolt on mods so that It can be easily changed back to stock if need be.

So heres my plan:
    SLP LT Headers
    SLP High Flow Cats
    SLP Y-Pipe
    SLP LID
    Diverter Plate to close off the air coming up from the gap in the front
    Dyno and Professional Tune
    Strut Bar

How does this route sound for a mildly modded T/A? Any other suggestions for some small bolt-ons? What do you think I will be looking at HP wise with these mods?

Robby

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

First off....wipe ANY SLP part off your list.
    Many better parts for cheaper out there.

Check out www.lmperformance.com.

Good luck, and feel free to ask me any questions.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

STAY AWAY FROM SLP

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Really? Why is that? Well when I bought the car there was the SLP Loudmouth II on there and it looks pretty new so I will be leaving that alone.

If you could give me suggestions for other brands I would appreciate it. The only reason why I was leaning towards SLP is the fact that SLP parts are on the firehawks as standard options. I figured since I want to keep the value of my car as high as possible with still modding that SLP would be the route to go.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 02 WS-Six View Post
    If you could give me suggestions for other brands I would appreciate it. The only reason why I was leaning towards SLP is the fact that SLP parts are on the firehawks as standard options. I figured since I want to keep the value of my car as high as possible with still modding that SLP would be the route to go.
    This is how SLP gets people to buy their aftermarket parts.

The SLP that did the Firehawk and the SS is basicly different than the company that makes aftermarket parts. Name is the only thing in common.

If you have the money for SLP longtube headers, get yourself some Kooks instead.
    I got fooled into using SLP parts myself when I first started modding. I spent a lot of money with them, just to have their customer service guy call me a liar on the phone and not cover an oil pump that NEVER got ran on the car.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    This is how SLP gets people to buy their aftermarket parts.

The SLP that did the Firehawk and the SS is basicly different than the company that makes aftermarket parts. Name is the only thing in common.

If you have the money for SLP longtube headers, get yourself some Kooks instead.
    I got fooled into using SLP parts myself when I first started modding. I spent a lot of money with them, just to have their customer service guy call me a liar on the phone and not cover an oil pump that NEVER got ran on the car.
    Well thanks for the heads up, I'm not going to be buying these all it once anyway. Probably was going to start with the lid and the smaller stuff and leave the headers till the end. I just need to make sure that anything I do get is street legal and will pass emissions. I live in MA and the emissions here is pretty tough, which was another reason I looked into the SLP parts because of the street legal performance aspect of it.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Ok so then I guess we need to go down this list again. If you could help me pick out another brand name for each of the mods I listed that are quality parts.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Well...SLP stands for 'Street Legal Performance' but a lot of it won't pass emissions.

Colorado is pretty tough too.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Well...SLP stands for 'Street Legal Performance' but a lot of it won't pass emissions.

Colorado is pretty tough too.
    damn!!! they sniffer test you guys??? here they just look "nope.. no ses light... PASS!"... for me "hey... you got no cats... damn your cars loud... i need to get me one like that..."

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

We get visual and sniffer.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

We get visual and sniffer.
    Yup same here. The laws use to be different until the past year. All the import cars with the big can mufflers get tossed out as soon as they see the muffler its either that or an automatic rejection sticker without even being hooked up.

At least with out cars we have somewhat stock looking tips and if you have cats you are usually all set. The SLP loudmouth is loud but since i had the cats and stuff it wasnt a problem to pass.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Back to the mods though.

So what other brands should I look into for a lid since thats where I am going to start. Would it be worth it to get the FTP lid with the 85mm opening and get a 85mm MAF or for the money should I just skip that and get just a lid.

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

SLP lid is a good fit. (only good product they make.)
    Pacesetter headers are a good bang for the buck.
    Magnaflow CATs don't cost way too much
    Pacesetter Y pipe should be fine as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the best bang for the buck.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

definately I run Pacesetter the Headers are excellent surpased only by Kooks however if you want to save yourself a few bucks get the Pacesetters and throw that money into more parts... this is what I would recommend for starters.

SLP lid
    K&N filter
    Port & Polish TB
    Pacesetter LT
    Pacesetter Y-pipe
    BMR Strut Tower brace (best on the market in my opinion)
    BMR SFC you DO NOT want to even bother with any other mods until you get the SFC an absolute must on our cars...

I can vouch for all these options because I am currently running them or have... SLP lid is alright but for the cost you really can't go wrong...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Personally, I would pass on the strut tower brace. I don't believe they help a damn thing.
    Subframe connectors would be a GREAT upgrade. UMI makes good stuff. They have bolt on ones for those wanting to be able to go back to stock at some point.

The lid...SLP's is okay. I would probably by that again.

The headers. Pacesetter for the budget minded, Kooks or ARH for the best.

Stick with the stock MAF. The aftermarket ones aren't worth anything but trouble.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Agreed, stay away from SLP. SFC are a must, I would never want bolt on style from the rumors of having to re-torque etc. Weld in all the way. If your on a budget... go with Pacesetter Long tube... if not on a budget go with Kooks LT. Great stainless.

Do not change your MAF out with any after market... you do NOT need it with your goals.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Ok thanks for all the advice. I think this is what I am going to go with for my Mod plan. This plan will be over the next 2 years or so depending on the money situation. But this will most likely be it for me modding wise.

So here we go:

SLP Air Lid
    K&N Air Filter
    ARH LT Headers
    ARH Y-Pipe
    ARH High Flow Cats
    Port and Polish TB
    UMI 3 Point Bolt in Subframe Connectors
    UMI Strut Tower Bar
    Dyno and Professional Tune after all mods are in

Now roughly what would you think I would be putting out for HP so I have an idea of what I would be rolling with. What would I be looking around for 1/4 times best case scenario?

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Agreed, stay away from SLP. SFC are a must, I would never want bolt on style from the rumors of having to re-torque etc. Weld in all the way. If your on a budget... go with Pacesetter Long tube... if not on a budget go with Kooks LT. Great stainless.

Do not change your MAF out with any after market... you do NOT need it with your goals.
    I think I am going to go with the bolt ons just for the fact that I want to be able to turn the car back into stock.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I would guess around 345RWHP...

Upper 12's depending on tire.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I would guess around 345RWHP...

Upper 12's depending on tire.
    Sounds pretty decent to me. I was thinking of shooting for 350RWHP for a goal. Most likely would be running some type of street tire. I think that if i can break into the 12s on a fairly light modded car I would be happy cause like I said in the beginning I want to keep as close to stock or being able to put it back to stock easily while still gaining a little power for some fun.

The only other mod that I think I would consider doing would be some type of mild cam. Haven't decided if I want to go down that road or not.

Thread Information