black
    2000 trans am

my headlights are rubbing on my front clip

Well I noticed some nasty looking little scratches on the front clip where the headlights rest. Its from the headlight covers (the plastic cover that goes around the high and low beams). Its rubbing on the front clip itself. I know how to adjust the metal cover on top of the lights but not the whole assembly. How can I fix this problem before it gets worse? The passenger side is the worst between the two, and the light cover piece has by far a bigger gap in between that and the metal cover.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I'm not sure those marks are avoidable. However I was just wondering what you're using to wash and wax that car?? Looks like some 80 grit sandpaper and a sand blaster with a bug gut sealer... jk
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

lol mine do the same thing.

black
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I'm not sure those marks are avoidable. However I was just wondering what you're using to wash and wax that car?? Looks like some 80 grit sandpaper and a sand blaster with a bug gut sealer... jk
    lol its a little dirty right now. I went out for a ride the other night along the lake and there are a ton of bugs over there, and all the speckles are dust the camera just makes it look horrible.

Is there a way to adjust the whole headlight assembly?

SOM
    2002 WS6

you can adjust the plate that goes over the headlights so it sits flush.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The adjustment process is kind of a pain. Start by popping your hood and looking at the back and/or sides of the headlight cover and you will find two of the four screws that hold the cover on. Remove them and then raise the headlight where you will find two screws in the front to remove. After all four screws are out you can lift the cover off. Locate all the torx head screws and pay attention to how they are oriented. These are what have to be loosened to re-position the cover. Go in small increments and be careful not to bump the lid with the screws loose as it can move quite a bit.

black
    2000 trans am

Well i know how to adjust the metal cover, did that a while ago because it was rubbing on the front clip and starter rusting the cover. i just need to move the whole assembly to get the plastic bezel sitting right.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Look for the mounting bolts -- I believe 10mm. I had to tweak mine as well after our front end re-paint to add a little clearance.

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

There is a stop on the frame that only allows the headlight to travel so far before stopping. Check to see if the stop is bent too far or gone totally. When you open the hood, you should be able to see the stop. It has a white plastic end piece on it. The rotating assembly that is attached to the headlight motor travels to a certain point and then reaches this "stop". If this "stop" is not adjusted properly or gone altogether, your headlight will travel all the way til it hits the front bumper where you are getting your scratches. Check to see if the "stop tab" is adjusted properly. The plastic end piece may be gone. Open the hood, and get someone to operate the headlights while you watch the operation. You will see the arm that rotates around and comes to the "stop tab". You may have to remove the body cover on the light and the black plastic housing to see it. Hope this helps....

good info Herculesrider.. thanks!

silver
    2000 formula

mine did the same thing on the pass side.......there are screws on the metal cover.....loosen and adjust til it no longer rubs..............woo hoooo

black
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    There is a stop on the frame that only allows the headlight to travel so far before stopping. Check to see if the stop is bent too far or gone totally. When you open the hood, you should be able to see the stop. It has a white plastic end piece on it. The rotating assembly that is attached to the headlight motor travels to a certain point and then reaches this "stop". If this "stop" is not adjusted properly or gone altogether, your headlight will travel all the way til it hits the front bumper where you are getting your scratches. Check to see if the "stop tab" is adjusted properly. The plastic end piece may be gone. Open the hood, and get someone to operate the headlights while you watch the operation. You will see the arm that rotates around and comes to the "stop tab". You may have to remove the body cover on the light and the black plastic housing to see it. Hope this helps....
    I'll check that out for sure! Thanks for that bit of info.

black
    2000 trans am

problem solved, the little plastic bolt retainer where both broken. I bought some license plate fasteners and that fix her right up.

Silver
    2002 WS.6 M6

Was having the same issue with the passenger side headlight door rubbing the clip when in the closed position. Just completed the adjustment and as said, it's time consuming but not difficult at all. Takes a few hood pops and screw adjustments to make sure the doors open without hitting the hood and the gaps are correct. The tips on this thread made the work easy, thanks.

Thread Information