Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

black
    1998 ws6 trans am

mpg what's average in city I only get 10 miles per gallon!!!

I have a 1998 ws6 and I only get 10 miles per gallon in city and maybe around 20 in highway was wondering if that's normal..I have a few bolt on..long tube header, slp lid, frost tune..just changed the spark plug but haven't tried to see of mpg inproved

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

is it an automatic or manual...? either way that seems a little low. I can get 26-28 doing 70-85mph on the interstate but mine is a 6speed.

black
    1998 ws6 trans am

It's a six speed

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you have an issue somewhere....mpg's should be a lot better than that. How old are the O2's? Do your exhaust tips have a lot of soot?

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you have an issue somewhere....mpg's should be a lot better than that. How old are the O2's? Do your exhaust tips have a lot of soot?
    ^^he's on the right path. does your car have catalytic converters on it? If they are old or clogged that could very well be part of the problem...out of curiosity, have you ever cleaned your mass air flow sensor?
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

black
    1998 ws6 trans am

It's a six speed

black
    1998 ws6 trans am

Yea I just recently put on sensors and new cats because I didn't have none and you know how laws are in cali..yes I cleaned mass airflow last month

98 Formula
    06 duramax

how long have you had the car and has the mpg's always been that bad? You say you put cats on it....any chance it has mods you're not aware of?

black
    1998 ws6 trans am

Might have other mods on it only had the car for about a year and gas mileage has always been this bad..mods that I think has is an ls6 intake, long tube headers, maybe cam and fuel injects 35 lbs not to sure I'm kinda new to all this

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Might want to data log it, if you had mods on it like a cam or heads may not have been tuned properly....Some ppl will pull their mods and not retune it when they go to sell.

Also 35lb injectors are not stock.

Just throwing spitball ideas out...
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 06-10-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Black / White

what kind of air filter do you have...? has it been replaced recently? sounds to me like the computer is changing the fuel ratio for some reason...seen vacuum leaks cause issues like this.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by ws6shine View Post
    Might have other mods on it only had the car for about a year and gas mileage has always been this bad..mods that I think has is an ls6 intake, long tube headers, maybe cam and fuel injects 35 lbs not to sure I'm kinda new to all this
    does the car have any lope to it? It does sound to me like you might have some unknown mods there. In your first post you said you have a frost tune but if you have mods that you/he wasn't aware of then the tune would be off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

black
    1998 ws6 trans am

Has a k and n airfilter..has no vacune leaks check all of the car..the guy at tune by frost told me my computer had a tune already so he said it would be better to leave that tune because u wasn't sure what my car mods were but he did say there was some iregularity and the Rev limiter was set at 7k

black
    1998 ws6 trans am

35 lbs injected are not stock? I didn't know would that cause the car to waste more gas, the car run great has a lot of power the only problem is that mpg is real bad

98 Formula
    06 duramax

right.....35's aren't stock. Stock is 28's. That leads me to believe you either have or had a cam or something....perhaps it was forced induction that they took off. Tough to tell. I would definitely say that's the root of your mpg issue though.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Surprised no one has asked this but what are your driving habits? Do you floor it or have heavy foot syndrome?
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Surprised no one has asked this but what are your driving habits? Do you floor it or have heavy foot syndrome?
    10mpg would be hard to hit even with heavy foot syndrome and since he's concerned about mpg's I assume he's not flooring it everywhere he goes. He has a frankencar.....there are mods on there he doesn't know about or a tune for mods he no longer has.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I stomp the gas through 2nd gear, and into 3rd at least twice a day, and I pull away from almost every red light with great enthusiasm. I realize about 23 mpg combined city/highway, or, about 320 miles before I turn in for gas (usually around 13 gallons to reach a full tank).
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

10mpg would be hard to hit even with heavy foot syndrome and since he's concerned about mpg's I assume he's not flooring it everywhere he goes. He has a frankencar.....there are mods on there he doesn't know about or a tune for mods he no longer has.
    I know some people who floor it everywhere and wonder why their mpg's suck so I figured I'd ask the question. I do realize that would be pretty hard to hit but since it seems that there are mods or a tune for mods he doesn't have or he doesn't know about it could be a combined issue.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

mpg what's average in city I only get 10 miles per gallon!!!

98's have a 14 gal steel tank. Smaller than the later yrs. The 35 lb injectors with mild bolt ons would be where I'd start. To answer your question = yes having higher injectors with a different program tune can effect the engine greatly. The injectors are an electronic control part. If the ecm tells applies currect, the amount of fuel dropped varies from 28lb vs 35 lb. More fuel will be dumped. Now if you add too much fuel yourplugs willfoul out. Pull a couple and look at them. Are they white or black? Smell like gas? Black & smell like gas, they could even be wet are all indicators of fuel rich. Your Ecm & O2's can only compensate so much.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Thread Information