Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Motor Mount Quote

I had my motor mounts quoted from a shop local that works on a good bit of ls motors and for the motor and trans mount installation they quoted me
    Motor mounts installed $255.00
    Trans mount $59.50
    +
    How long it will take to move the headers or anything.

Does this seem right? I though It was a bit much

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

If you aren't mechanically inclined at all then have the shop do the motor mounts but save your $60 and do the tranny mount yourself. It'll probably take them 5 min to do it anyways and shouldnt take you longer than 30 min to life the car and all. As for the motor mounts well I believe the headers do have to be removed and the engine supported from the bottom to be able to get under there and switch them out.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Yea I can do it myself I put a cam in my car butI just dont have the time. The trans mount I am going to do myself because its so easy but the motor mount I dont feel like moving the headers

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

yeah do the tranny mount yourself, that one is easy, ive done it
    one place quoted me $240 for just the labor and then it was like $100 per mount...but then i eventually had to buckle down and have firestone do it cause i have credit with them, cost me $620 to do the motor mounts!! freegin rip off!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

i went with Spohn solid mounts for the engine and didn't need to move anything to either get the old mounts out or put the new mounts in. I did unbolt the starter.... but that's it.

As a side note. solid mounts are really not bad and save a couple pounds at the same time. they are taller than the factory mounts by a small amount so clearance from the STB was "almost" an issue but since the engine can't budge in the slightest now its really a non issue.

Vibration wise.... yeah... it's a little rougher at idle on the stock cam... no clue how a cammed LS1 would feel with solid mounts. Once the car is even 50-100 RPM above stock idle the car smooths right out. and when moving i couldn't tell the difference from stock mounts.

It's not a terrible job if you are patient and good at wiggling parts around. TBH I was worried about scratching the K member when doing the job.... but i didn't scratch it anywhere near as bad as the job the shop that did my clutch and MC did on my firewall. I actually had to go in there and line up the MC for them because they couldn't figure out that it needed to go in on an angle.... one guy tore it down and installed the clutch one day and another guy, mustang guy, reinstalled the MC and bled the system the next day..... can't blame him for not knowing but the sight was sad to see for me.... no more time savers for this guy.... from now on i wait till I have time to do the work myself.

so... yeah... go for solids... do it yourself... you'll be happy

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    i went with Spohn solid mounts for the engine and didn't need to move anything to either get the old mounts out or put the new mounts in. I did unbolt the starter.... but that's it.
    I need to go to solids thats the plan my stock ones are so worn out my motor shakes around alot. Did you have full length headers when you did yours?

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by jetaws6 View Post
    Yea I can do it myself I put a cam in my car butI just dont have the time. The trans mount I am going to do myself because its so easy but the motor mount I dont feel like moving the headers

You do not have to remove the headers to change the motor mounts. I just did this a week ago and left a write-up/instructions I followed on how to do it in this thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...50#post2527950

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Dude awesome how long did it take you

nbm
    99 camaro

when are you planning on doing this?

White
    1999 trans am

spend the money. took all day to do mine and drilling out the rivets was a pain if you decide to just replace the polys and re-use the clamshell.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Dude awesome how long did it take you

It took me about 5 hours total after I drilled everything out, sandblasted, and painted the old clamshells.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw0314 View Post
    when are you planning on doing this?
    Idk adam I'm gonna take it up to gallant tomorrow so they can look at it and give me a good quote but packy if it took five hours I might just take it in to the shop. Ill have to look at it though and figure it out

nbm
    99 camaro

i did mine by myself without a problem. i can help if im home, but i know you and your dad can do it in an afternoon.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Well im looking at doing em probably the 14th or 15th when im home from Canada. You gonna be home then?

White
    1998 Trans Am

I had prothane motor and tranny month done when they did my cam, oil pump and timing chain he said the tranny was easy but the motor mounts were a pain so I'm guessing the original quote is pretty close to what most places would charge.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Idk adam I'm gonna take it up to gallant tomorrow so they can look at it and give me a good quote but packy if it took five hours I might just take it in to the shop. Ill have to look at it though and figure it out
    I had a lift too but I tend to take my time when I do major parts like that that are load bearing for the motor/trans. I like to be sure everything is done perfect and tight.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Yea I dont know my pilot bearing is squealing now so the trans has to come out so I might do it then when I have alot of room

nbm
    99 camaro

Yea I dont know my pilot bearing is squealing now so the trans has to come out so I might do it then when I have alot of room
    good thing im going back to school lol. I have worked on your car more then mine lately!

Thread Information