Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Old: 00 WS6, 02 Z06, 79TA
    11 F350 CC 6.7L

Question To mod or not to mod??

I have a 00 WS6 6 spd that I just rolled 37k miles on. This car is bone stock. Not even an afermarket lid and still has the original exhaust. Its black with tan leather interior. Im not sure how many of these were made but since it only has 37k and is unmollested Im having a hard time convincing myself to mod it. I REALLY want to. I dont plan on putting too many miles on it a year since Alaskan cruising time is only about 4-5 months long. Most of her time will be covered up in the garage. Someone please tell me I wont have any financial benefit by keeping it stock and these wont be worth big bucks some day in stock form. I guess if I did change anything I could just keep the old parts. I was pretty much just thinking LT headers, catback and lid but you know how it goes from there once you get the itch.

Tell me what you think!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

I don't think there's really going to be a great collector value on most of these cars. Granted, yours is nice w/low miles, but it's not really rare.

I say mod it if you want to. Things like a lid and catback are pretty standard, they're almost expected on these cars. Plus, just about anything you do is reversible, just keep the old parts and turn it back to stock if you ever want to sell it or show it.

It's a car..it's meant to be driven, and I'm sure you bought it to have fun with it. So have fun with it!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

mod the shit out of it

Red
    2002 TA WS6

These cars may not be that rare yet, but clean ones are gaining value. In 5 or so years original cars will start to be very rare. The more you mod it the less it's worth. You can buy one that has been modded to the hilt for cheap, a pristine car will cost 3 times as much. Let someone else spend all the money modding, and then you can buy it cheap. If you have a nice car, keep it that way! The exact reason these cars become so valuable is because so many of them become modded or wrecked. There was a 10 second 2000 WS6 on Ebay recently that went for $12k. Your low milage original 00' will be worth twice that soon. If you just make some minor performance mods, make sure to keep all the original parts.

Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

i'd say do what you want but as long as you keep the stock parts you can always switch back if you want to sell it

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Mod the crap out of it but keep all your stock parts just in case

black
    2000 trans am ws6

think about it..whats more fun, modding and enjoying the power or leaving it the way it is and MAYBE make a few bucks in a few years. then ur still gunna miss it if u sell it anyway.. U LIVE ONCE.

Old: 00 WS6, 02 Z06, 79TA
    11 F350 CC 6.7L

Thanks for your opinions!! A few bolt-ons dont seem like they would hurt anything as long as I keep the original parts!

Black
    2001 camaro SS

Why ever would you want to sell it in the future for a few extra bucks anyway I mean these cars are fucking awesome and I seriously doubt that I will ever get rid of my SS that currently has 40k miles on the clock. I love it too much and the longer I have it the more I become attached to it. I feel as if its almost like a marriage. And I hate to say it but im more in love with my car (which ive had for 10 months now) than I am with my girlfriend which ive had for 2 months. The only way I would sell mine in the future is if i could retire with the money that I sold it for and I dont think its ever gonna reach that kind of value and be worth that much.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

buy stocks if you want to invest.
    theres no way to know if these cars will go up in value.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Red
    2002 TA WS6

buy stocks if you want to invest.
    theres no way to know if these cars will go up in value.

Putting all your investments in stocks is foolish. I have a mix of stocks, bonds, gold, silver, and collectables. The collectables make up a good part of my portfolio. I recently sold my mint 86' Honda 350X 3 wheeler for twice what I paid in 87'. Since these cars are already going up in value, it's sort of a no-brainer. The 99' Anniversary models are already selling for more than their original MSRP, and the 02' Collectors Edition will be next. Some mint WS6's are already selling for more than they did when they were a year old. If I had kept half the old Mopars, TAs, and Z28s I had when I was a kid I would easily be a millionaire today. Back in the day you could buy a 440 Cuda 4 spd for around $1,500, that same car today will bring upwards of $50k. It's like anything else though, it's always easier to live for today than invest for tomorrow.

black
    2000 trans am ws6

cars are the worst investment you can do... maybe some people make money on a car or two. but there the most unknown investment you can do.. if your going to invest, get real estate. thats something that you will never lose on. and when these cars were selling new, there the same price practically now if u held it all those years. and what would u get out of storing a car for so long.

Red
    2002 TA WS6

cars are the worst investment you can do... maybe some people make money on a car or two. but there the most unknown investment you can do.. if your going to invest, get real estate. thats something that you will never lose on. and when these cars were selling new, there the same price practically now if u held it all those years. and what would u get out of storing a car for so long.
    What do I get out of storing, owning, and driving a classic muscle car? Enjoyment, prestige, and money just to name a few.

I guess you don't watch the Barret-Jackson Auction? There are a ton of cars that have outpaced the stock market for the last 15 years, and most of them are American made. I should know, I am a former Level 1 CFA. American Muscle Cars have been leading the collector car market for quite some time.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/how-mu...ars-work11.htm

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I would be very happy to have a car on barret jackson to sell, they pay big bucks for cars

black
    2000 trans am ws6

ur not gunna see a car like ours... barrett jackson is about classic muscle that is a tottally different story.. i kno about classic muscle. try a 71 motion chevelle for classic. try to find one left.. nd also 2 67 corvettes.. now those are cars that are worth something big.. but your still talking how long untill they reach that 100,000 mark? do the math.

Black
    98 Trans Am

headers, lid, pcm tune and enjoy it!

black
    2000 trans am ws6

agreed... maybe not even headers if you dont want a problem with passing emissions. cat back would do tho.

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 6sw00 View Post
    agreed... maybe not even headers if you dont want a problem with passing emissions. cat back would do tho.
    There are emission legal headers, and I'm one of those people that doesn't believe in replacing the stainless SLP cat back already on the WS6, and spending up to a grand just to gain 2hp. Headers and the stock exhaust sound great too! I'd even swap 4.10 diff for some more snap, and keep the stock one for resale.

Black
    2001 Pontiac

Mod it. If you want an investment, pick some other avenue such as stocks, yer 401k, money market funds, etc., etc.
    You won't gain anything by holding onto it for years with low miles, & keeping it original. The return will not be substantial enough to justify it.
    Mod it, & keep the original parts in the attic, ...

A 2000 WS6 is not in the same league as some of the classic cars rolling thru B-J.

Quote Originally Posted by VTR99 View Post
    Since these cars are already going up in value, it's sort of a no-brainer. The 99' Anniversary models are already selling for more than their original MSRP, and the 02' Collectors Edition will be next. Some mint WS6's are already selling for more than they did when they were a year old.
    , Show me proof.
    Look at all the cars up for sale. People can't get rid of them, ...

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

I’m in complete agreement with Pontiac fan. No one should buy a car as an investment, it’s a loosing proposition imo. Buy a car because you want to have fun with it, enjoy driving it and so on. If I had taken the 20,000 I spent on my T/A and invested it (wisely)three years ago I’d be money ahead…… but I wouldn’t have had all the good times behind the wheel the last three summers either.

Also, it would kill me to look at a car on jack stands for that amount of time and not drive it!

Thread Information