Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

blue
    99 T/A A4

might cross over to gm/need help!

im looking at a possible good deal on a firebird ls1 with the 4l60e auto...
    as of right now it doesnt move...
    turns on on the first crank, but does not move...you shift it into D and nothing(revs drop alittle like if its catching)...will not go forward or back...
    thats the only thing holding me up...
    owner said transmission was rebuilt and slapped back in with a converter and after that no movement...could it be something simple or should i stay with what i have now and avoid problems...
    thanks

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

it could definitely be something simple. Worst case scenario, you might need a new transmission or have this one rebuilt. If thats too much for you then you should probablly move on.

blue
    99 T/A A4

not really im really looking for a track car anyways...would the car be out of the question for $1500 for a 98 with a smooth running ls1? no ill have it sitting there...just wanted to ask for some quick trouble shooting is all...i know alot of forums are very helpful and have more knowledge than some back yard mechanics in my area anyways

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Here is a thread with some things to look for when buying an F-body: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118628

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by laserredgt View Post
    not really im really looking for a track car anyways...would the car be out of the question for $1500 for a 98 with a smooth running ls1? no ill have it sitting there...just wanted to ask for some quick trouble shooting is all...i know alot of forums are very helpful and have more knowledge than some back yard mechanics in my area anyways
    $1500? typo? Thats an unbelievablly cheap deal!

White
    1998 Trans Am

If the motor runs good and the price is right a tranny rebuild usually isn't that much unless you have it built for big power like some places have stage 2 and 3 set ups which are more than a normal rebuld. It could be some stupid mistake that maybe a cheap fix also. I have a 98 LS1 A4 and wouldn't trade it for anything except maybe a newer LS3 Vette. I see you have a 02 Mustang Gt I mean you can't compare the power difference in the 2 motors. I have a 93 5.0 LX vert that's a fun cruiser but coimpared to my TA that 5.0 and I have similar mods.(headers,catback, new plugs, wires, gears and both are auto's) is like a toy.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

blue
    99 T/A A4

yeah my 4.6 is ok i love it, been in the family for 8 years since 10 miles...but that f-body is yes 1500 bucks...motor turned on and yes it has little shit here and there that i dont like(red color inserts in interior, motor on lights makes a noise when fully closed) but it has over 1200 in suspension w/coilovers...seems like he just used it as a cruiser...

White
    1998 Trans Am

The good running motor and that suspension alone makes it worth $1500. Most poeple sell LS1's motors for more than that. My 98 was bought almost new it was titled as a GM demo car so I got it from the dealer with 250 miles for $4k off sticker when in MA you were lucky in 98 to even find a TA at alot of dealers, even thebigger ones in the Boston area had maybe 2 at any given time. So $4k off for 200 miles and buy getting it as a used car saved on some MA's bs taxes they hit you with. I had a 96 Mustaang Gt5 spd I bought brand new in Moonlight blue a 1yr only color and it was a fun car but after driving a LT1 Formula 6spd my friend bought it was a night and day difference so when the new body style TA came out I with a more powerful LS1 motor after 1 test drive I knew this was perfect. Vette's are nice but I need the hatch and backseat for grocery runs at that time. Now I have a SUV for a dd and shop truck I have been doind the the bolt on motor mods and supension work over the past couple years and now getting into a can and stall since I'm bored with the power again. Even with my a4 there is something about a car that smokes the tires in d from a 30 roll that's fun.

Wait.........WHAT??!! LoneGunman's Avatar

Hugger Orange
    '99 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    $1500? typo? Thats an unbelievablly cheap deal!
    That's what I was thinking Damn!! Driveline alone, even with a bad tranny has got to be worth that at least.

blue
    99 T/A A4

ok well then ill get the car tomorrow bring it to my friends shop and have him start takin the trans out...im thinking whoever put it back in didnt put the stall in right...i might just get everything back to oem specs if i can...and if i can flip it in a few months i will or just sell my stang and mod this...

White
    1998 Trans Am

I think you could be looking at a just a sloppy reinstall and should be able to get it up and running. While it's out have the stall checked to make sure they didn't throw junk in it. While it's out you may want to swap a better stall in if it turns out they threw some no name ebay stall in. I kinow a place that builds great LS1 stall converters and they sell them in several diffent speeds and several style depending on the power you plan on building it to. Most of my friends with Vette's, Camaro's, and TA's run them with no issues. I'll PM you the name since I don't know if their sponsors here or not. They can call andthey can build a stall to fit your needs.
    I plan on getting one of their stalls when I do my cam in a month or so.

blue
    99 T/A A4

well i bought it $1500 cash...had it towed home for $50(assholes drove 3 miles literally)
    now just waiting to get auto to start shifting

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by laserredgt View Post
    well i bought it $1500 cash...had it towed home for $50(assholes drove 3 miles literally)
    now just waiting to get auto to start shifting
    $50 for 3 miles you don't have a friend with a truck and a rope. That would have been my choice or I would have pulled it with my 5.0 since it came with a little jet ski hitch but big enought to tie a rope to.

Yes we need pics. of this $1500 find so I know how much I should envy your deal. I would love to find a running LS1 Camaro or Firebrid version.

blue
    99 T/A A4

here it is...not too much work put in today just cleaned the engine bay a bit...still got some interior shit to do and ill have it towed to the guy thats gonna help me with the 4l60

98 Formula
    06 duramax

looks like you sprayed it with water....not a good idea on these motors. The knock sensors are under the intake and they HATE water.

As far as that headlight noise that's a pretty simple fix. You can buy brass gears from brent franker headlight fix or you may be able to just flip the stock plastic gear 180 degrees.
    As far as the tranny I'm getting the tranny is trashed or at least the pump is blown out of it but hopefully it'll be something cheap and easy for you.

White
    1998 Trans Am

No matter what's wrong with the tranny that's still a steal at $1500. You said it starts and runs good and the Paint and body are in pretty good shape from the pics show. I would have definatly taken that for $1500 you got a deal regardless of a minor tranny issue or even if you spend money on a rebuild job it's still a great deal. Good find there you would have been stupid not to grab it.

blue
    99 T/A A4

gotcha! thanks...
    alittle more negotiating and i could of done better but the guy seemed decent and his wife was kicking his balls about selling already it lol...
    checking into now:
    1. cracked dash-either buy new or used
    2. headline- same buy new or used
    3. front seats

but first i wanna drive it lol...

White
    1998 Trans Am

You can buy new leather kits for fbodies on ebay usually. There a place that makes some real nice ones I wanted to change mine from gray to white like the 99 anniversary and it was only $600 for front and back. If the back is still good you can also check local shops they can sometimes replace just some of the leather and dye the seat back to match, my friend did it in cars at lots all the time. Most places can do headlliners for a good price, there is a guy that used to come do headliners on cars at my body shop in his van. Took hime about an hour or hour and a half to take it aparts and install a new one and they all looked great and from what I heard he was reasonable and there are some small shops here that run $99 specials. As far as the dash I'll PM you a link since this isn't a sponser but it's the only place I know where to get a new original GM dash beside getting robbed by a dealer. As far as used mort I have seen on lots in southern states always have cracks so getting a used one in good will probably be hard if not impossible unles someone totals a low mileage car or a garaged car that still has a nice dash like mine. I was going to oreder one just for a spare since they'll be harder to find soon enought.

blue
    99 T/A A4

thanks for your help man its greatly appreciated...now if only you were a transmission god and lived 2 doors from my house lol

Thread Information