Thread: ly6 WS6

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

ly6 WS6

Hey ya'll, i've been having hard-to-find drivetrain issues lately and I'm on the fence here - i know a tranny builder and i think i can pick up an ly6 for 1500-2000 bucks.

what i'm thinking is basically pull the drivetrain out of the car, send the tranny off to get bulletproofed, swap the big ass injectors etc whatever i need from my ls1 to the new motor and bolt it back in, ready and raring to go.

Anybody done this before? I'm damn excited to find a stock, junker motor that is readily available that should apparently be compatible with my tranny/pcm. What are the snags I'm gonna hit along the way?

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Gen IV motors wont be as compatible with your pcm as you think they are, I havent heard of anyone using a LY6 truck motor in an Fbody, (although I have heard of Gen IV LS3 swaps so it is possible) typically LQ4 or LQ9 motors are used because they are gen III motors like the LS1 and are cheaper than newer Gen IV motors..

these truck motors are Iron not Aluminum llike LSX blocks are, very popularly used for boosted or bored out motors... but not for just heads, cam and intake setups...

me personally, I wouldn't through all that trouble just to have a stock or even a bolton truck motor in my car.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    Gen IV motors wont be as compatible with your pcm as you think they are.
    What?

They're perfectly compatible...granted you have to get them tuned to match the motor, but besides that everything works fine. Ask me how I know.
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 M6: 427ci LS3, Built T56, Moser 9" w/ 4.11 Gearing, Full Suspension, and 6-point Cage.
    2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP: Twincharged w/ a T67 Turbocharger
    2007 Chevrolet 3500 Dually Duramax: 3" Downpipe, Dual 4" Exhaust, EFILive Tuning

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    What?

They're perfectly compatible...granted you have to get them tuned to match the motor, but besides that everything works fine. Ask me how I know.
    I just assumed with the VVT he might run into issues, didn't say it wouldn't work by anymeans though, relax, I think OP just thinks you can get the PCM flashed once and youre good to go. things like the dash gauges in our cars are notorious for being incompatible with a lot of newer GM technology. might take a few hours of playing around with an HP tuner to get everything calibrated right.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

these truck motors are Iron not Aluminum llike LSX blocks are, very popularly used for boosted or bored out motors... but not for just heads, cam and intake setups...

me personally, I wouldn't through all that trouble just to have a stock or even a bolton truck motor in my car.
    times two, justin speaks the truth.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

I just assumed with the VVT he might run into issues, didn't say it wouldn't work by anymeans though, relax, I think OP just thinks you can get the PCM flashed once and youre good to go. things like the dash gauges in our cars are notorious for being incompatible with a lot of newer GM technology. might take a few hours of playing around with an HP tuner to get everything calibrated right.
    Sounds about right. Thanks for the info...

Plans for the car are to get it running as a DD with the most durable motor possible, then eventually go balls out with a big shot of nitrous or turbo - so it would be nice to have the iron block with forged whatnot at that point but I think the LQ9 probably sounds the best for that application and is likely available the cheapest. Just gotta get some cash flow goin on and it'll be all good.

black trans am

a gen 3 and 4 use 2 diffrnt crank pick ups and cam pick up place ment

Thread Information