Black
    1998 Trans Am

Thumbs down Love my T/A, But...

The last couple years I battle some sort of a lighting issue when I pull the car out in the spring. Last year the gear stripped out in the PS head light, so I fixed that.

Then it started having an issue with the headlight itself shuting off. I could go out and open the hood and just wiggle the harness a little bit and it would come back on. So I took the connector apart and cleaned out a bunch of corrosion put it back together and still had the problem. I then (thought I) traced it to the main power wire in the connector. I jumped the power and ground to completely bypass the connector where the wire seemed to be loose. I then thought all was fine.

This spring I pull the car out of the garage and the fog lights weren't working, went and tapped on the PS housing and the light came on but the housing is loose and is only being held on by the adjustment screw. The other side the bulb was just kind of laying there and the back of the housing where the bulb goes in is broken so it will no longer hold a bulb.

Then I get on the freeway and my PS headlight goes out again. Pull in a parking lot and jiggle the harness and the light reappears. And I can't get the light to go back out on my own to test the wires to see where the loose connection is, it only does it while driving.

So I guess I have a couple of questions for you T/A vets.

Is the headlight wiring a known issue?
    Is there a replacement harness?

Are there any aftermarket lights that fit into the stock location that look like they belong there?

The lighting on this car makes me want to
    Last edited by Blksnshn; 05-22-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: can't type

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Well, when you replace the motor part of the harness goes with it. Not sure if you know or not but you can manually spin the motor to get the light up using an allen wrench. I've heard people having problems but I dont think its the majority.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Well, when you replace the motor part of the harness goes with it. Not sure if you know or not but you can manually spin the motor to get the light up using an allen wrench. I've heard people having problems but I dont think its the majority.
    Yeah, I'm talking about the other side of the harness. The light comes up just fine now with the new gear but the bulb itself goes out until I touch the harness then it works again for a while.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere. I would maybe suggest going over the harness with an ohm meter to see if you find anything there. Maybe a loose connection on the bulb itself?

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere. I would maybe suggest going over the harness with an ohm meter to see if you find anything there. Maybe a loose connection on the bulb itself?
    That's the worst part. As soon as I touch the harness the light comes back on and all the readings seem fine with the ohm meter. No matter ho much I tug on the wires I can't get it to act up but hit a small bump in the road and no light.

I've changed the bulb and harness to the bulb and motor twice with the same results. I'm about to run all new wires.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

What about up by the shock tower by all the plugs?

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I haven't gone up that far yet. Guess it's my next step. I'd like to replace the whole light harness.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

There is a selection of replacement connectors available at most parts stores. Once you repair any corroded connections, get a tube of dielectric grease and goop them up. This will prevent any future corrosion.

Thread Information