Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Looking at painting but need some color input

Hey guys,

I have a 98' Navy Blue T/A. wanted a black or yellow one when I was shopping, could get my hands on one. Anyways, I want to get some paint sprayed when I get my new hood. So I have a choice, stay Navy Blue or go with a different color. With black and yellow I have more options on accent colors. With the NB I don't seem to find anything but white or silver, not into the silver at all. Looking for input. Below is a pic of what she looks like.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

I like things simple i would keep the blue and don't bother with adding accents. I removed all badges from my car

Black
    2000 trans am ws6

SOM!!!!!

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    I like things simple i would keep the blue and don't bother with adding accents. I removed all badges from my car
    EATHEN! you're a sinner b/c of it!!!

I gotta say, NBM is the sexiest color on these cars. Red can be used in moderation with the blue. I had an NBM ws6 with red calipers and shock tower brace. All my lettering and grills were mirrored plexi-which really looked great! But if you want a yellow car-prepare to pay A LOT b/c they have to tear it all apart to change the color in the door jambs/engine bay etc.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    EATHEN! you're a sinner b/c of it!!!

I gotta say, NBM is the sexiest color on these cars. But if you want a yellow car-prepare to pay A LOT b/c they have to tear it all apart to change the color in the door jambs/engine bay etc.
    he is right about the yellow

you hate me just b/c i like things simple so that means you won't get any of my money

untill i get my car dynoed and buy a engine plaque (i like them)

Black
    '98 Z28

NBM is a great color. I'd stick with that.

Navy Blue Metallic

I used to have a 96' Burgandy red firebird. That was the sexiest color on these cars I have ever seen.....

Even my wife said that color screams sex....

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

I love NBM!!

Keep it!

There are a lot of accents that you can do, just take some cues from other peoples NBM cars. Things like clear side markers are a good touch.

Black
    2002 SS

Paint it ASS Black
    and what's up with the handicap shit hangin from the mirror?

White
    1998 Trans Am

Ok here's the deal. I paint cars and have done a few color changes. Forget about yellow unless you wanna waste alot of money. I changed a maroon Ram 1500 to yellow and it was a lot of extra time and material. Third shift was right about having do do the door jambs and engine area. Also in the hatch area. With yellow you have to lay a couple coats of white primer sealer to cover all the blue before you even get to the yellow. With the Black you don't need to use a sealer you can just sand the car down and spray the black base coat over the blue and clear it.
    That navy is a great color I would keep it. Much better that yellow and black looks great but you have to keep after it. I would have loved a black TA but I used to use mine as a DD in Mass. and now I still take it a few days a week. You can also use a gunmetal(charcoal) color for accents or even flat black would look good. your paint looks good from the pic. Just get it buffed to remove any minor marks and paint the bumper if it has chips. If you want a yellow I would say sell your car and buy one it will save you a huge headache.

Medium Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A-7.0L-6spd

im a painter also and im with RyanJM. leave it NBM or if you HAVE to change color go to black.....

18x12 Classics w/335's and room for 345's

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

I have a NBM TA. Sometimes I love it, but sometimes I wish for a brighter color because it shows more body shape. The options for accents are limited with NBM. All I've done is silver name plates on the doors... and it took my 7 years to like that idea.

I will say though, when it's clean and sunny outside... it gets a ton of compliments!

Tint your windows too, that'll help it look meaner.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by jambofla View Post
    Paint it ASS Black
    and what's up with the handicap shit hangin from the mirror?
    I am a Disable Vet...

Navy Blue Metallic

The pic doesn't show all the scratches from parking lot dings (careless A-holes) and on the nose. This area has love-bugs twice a yr, get's so bad I won't drive her @ night till June. Previous owners on the other hand have , so there are a lot of chips there. It really stands out after I wax her.

I talked with a couple of painters yesterday, the best one I got was $2500 and 2-3 weeks. They will sand, take panels off, do door jams, under the hood, and reshoot same color and clear coat (I think he said 2 coats). The more clear coats I want = a little more $$$ Does this sound about right?

I not in a hurry to get it done, just doing the research thing. I may wait till late fall or winter to do this. I got other mods I want to do first, like a new hood and exhuast.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

that's a great price! i was quoated about $3000 for doing the Phoenix all black again.

Navy Blue Metallic

Thanks all for the input....Now on to saving my pennies...

When I get it done I'll post pics....

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

dude,you have a very nice looking t/a,a white bird on the hood would look cool. my.02 cents.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    dude,you have a very nice looking t/a,a white bird on the hood would look cool. my.02 cents.
    and you could grow a mullet...

i always thought satin black would look sexy as hell on these cars. something like this.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    The pic doesn't show all the scratches from parking lot dings (careless A-holes) and on the nose. This area has love-bugs twice a yr, get's so bad I won't drive her @ night till June. Previous owners on the other hand have , so there are a lot of chips there. It really stands out after I wax her.

I talked with a couple of painters yesterday, the best one I got was $2500 and 2-3 weeks. They will sand, take panels off, do door jams, under the hood, and reshoot same color and clear coat (I think he said 2 coats). The more clear coats I want = a little more $$$ Does this sound about right?

I not in a hurry to get it done, just doing the research thing. I may wait till late fall or winter to do this. I got other mods I want to do first, like a new hood and exhuast.
    Here's my thoughts. There really should be no need to do the door jambs or under the hood. Unless somehow you got big scratches in there. Some panels will need to be taken off. You should be able to save like 400 to 500 by not doing the jambs or under hood. If it needs it do it, if not save the money for something you do need. I know with a little polish compound by hand and my jambs look great again. Under the factory hood on my car was fine just needed the same cleanup as the jambs. Also what you want is 3 to 4 coats of clear. That's what I do to all my cars so when you wet sand and buff after for that smooth finish mirror like finish you still have at least 2 coats left. So when you get minor swirls and scratches over time you can re-wet sand and buff in a year or two and make it just like new again.

Black
    02 T/A WS6

im a painter as well. 2500 is a great price but a lower price means lower quality in most cases. Doesnt hurt to ask to look at their work and you gotta ask lots of questions, warrantys and such. atleast 3 coats for clear, 2 is a little thin. You could also save yourself some money if you do some prep work yourself, sanding the car down, That would save you alot of money.

hope that helps!

Thread Information