1BADLS1

Black
    2000 T/A LS1 M6

looking to join the club, need some advice

so i am in the market for a 98-02 firebird trans am ws6 with the 6spd transmission. i do have a price range of no more than $7500. so most of the trans am's ive been looking at have high miles. is there a mileage cut off i should consider? are these cars known to develope specific problems as the miles rack up?

my main concern is finding that all or most high mileage trans am's have the same issues or issues that are expensive to repair. though i am trying to buy cheap, id hate to have to immediately do some work on it!

blue
    1999 TransAm

some guys on here have had little problems. some have had big problems.. i'd say, have the car looked over by a mechanic before buying, ...and save some money in case repairs are needed. yes, repairs can be expensive, especially labor cost.

specific problem points are likely: rear end/differential (most are leaky - pinion, ...window motors, headlight gearbox, water pump (has it been replaced before), gaskets (valley cover, intake, valve cover) - i just had to get all of these replaced recently.

Red
    1999 WS6

check and make sure transmission will come out of four gear without sticking, with my car especially at higher rpms it will stick and i have read the shift fork could be bent which im sure is not a cheap fix, other then what has been already said my powersteering has recently started leaking which also seems like a common problem i have read on hear, my car has 112000 miles ish on it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

A couple of threads to help you.

Guide to Buying a F-Body
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118628

Differences between the yrs.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27512

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Trans Am WS6 View Post
    check and make sure transmission will come out of four gear without sticking, with my car especially at higher rpms it will stick and i have read the shift fork could be bent which im sure is not a cheap fix, other then what has been already said my powersteering has recently started leaking which also seems like a common problem i have read on hear, my car has 112000 miles ish on it.
    Shift fork???

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    2002 WS6 TA VERT M6 HOOKER SUPER COMPS ORY AND CAT BACK TUNE DONE BY CHARLES AT GREAD TUNNING!!

2007 Z71 EXTENDED CAB PROGRAMMER COLD AIR
    TRUE DUALS

Red
    1999 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by REVNORR82 View Post
    Shift fork???

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    sincro keys lol sorry was typing and not thinking

1BADLS1

Black
    2000 T/A LS1 M6

i have come across a 2000 trans am. ws6 6spd. black with t tops. black leather interior. it is about a 5 hour drive away from me though, so i have to drive just to look at it. he is asking $7000 for it. it has 142,000 miles. from what i have seen this is a pretty decent deal. it does not have the ram air hood though. carfax says it was in an accident where the driver hit a guardrail and sustained boday damage to the passenger front quarter panel and front bumper only.

is this a halfway decent deal if it checks out ok

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    some guys on here have had little problems. some have had big problems.. i'd say, have the car looked over by a mechanic before buying, ...and save some money in case repairs are needed. yes, repairs can be expensive, especially labor cost.

specific problem points are likely: rear end/differential (most are leaky - pinion, ...window motors, headlight gearbox, water pump (has it been replaced before), gaskets (valley cover, intake, valve cover) - i just had to get all of these replaced recently.
    these plus the PCV, and the DRL (daytime running lights)

Every car you buy will have it's quirks. We just know all of ours

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

My DRLs havent had bulbs in them for about 8 months! haha. Screw those damned things! Im having problems with my window now. Whos damned idea was it to mount the whole power window assembly on a weak ass fiber glass frame. Holy shit.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

my CETA has 216,xxx and runs great but my wife has had it since new and I do all the maintenance.buying used is a crapshoot because you don't know how the vehicle has been maintained.
    2007 Corvette...stock...

1BADLS1

Black
    2000 T/A LS1 M6

well guys, i leave for the dealership in the morning. i am going to try and get this thing for $6k, but i'll take it for $6.5 out the door. all of this is pending a thorough inspection. i am going to really check it for rust since this thing has been in the cleveland area. will be taking a magnet to search for bondo areas. will keep you updated.

link to the t/a

Thread Information