Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looking into basic bolt ons

Hey guys. I plan on keeping my ws6 stock for a while but I figured I would post my ideas and see what you experts think. Right now I have a ws6 with the m6, magna flow cat back with k&n's and a healthy 22,000 orginal miles. If I were to guess id say the car is putting down around 310-325rwh, and good for 13.1-13.3's at around 107? Anyway here is my list in order if something is out of place just let me know.

SLP air lid. I guess this simple mod is good for 5 hp at best.
    Headers- I have a few questions here. I was thinking of getting pace setter. Decent? Also can I use the stock Y pipe to save a few bucks?
    LS6 or Fast 92mm Intake manifold. Now I was told that that stock ls1 breathes enough to where it will not benifit from an ls6 intake without a better cam. Is this true? I believe the fastest stock F body was a 99 z28 that ran 12.85 and put down 321 hp by the guys at muscle mustang. http://www.stangbangers.com/01_Bullitt_Article2.htm. Either way its probably debatable. Thats why I will probably go with FAST 92 then port the stock TB. Anyone have any input?

I do not plan on doing engine work such as cam or heads.

Pewter
    2001 formula

the fast works pretty good, but they now have a 102 mm lol, but i would go with the 92, sucks in some air and sounds good

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

What year is your ws6? if 01-02 then you have a ls6 intake.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    I just hit his user page to check the same -- by the OP's user name I was wondering if he has an '02 also.

Sounds like you are on the right track - change out the lid and stock paper air filter. Rather than a K&N or something similar, check out the Amsoil Ea Air Filter which you can order through CompSyn's link on this site. Leave the MAF alone, except to clean it with a MAF spray cleaner.

You can also change out your thermostat - a lot of guys drop down to the 160 degree, but I went with a 180 degree thermostat. I think the stock stat runs 195-197 or so. You will need to have your fans reset to work properly with a new stat. You can also bypass your throttle body - there is a coolant line running from the air bleeds at the top of the head, through the t/b and back to the radiator.

The next mod to consider -one I am picking up next weekend - would be a set of subframe connectors. Enjoy and keep us posted on your mods. I am sure some other members will fill you in on the headers and Y-pipe.

Black
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    Hey guys. I plan on keeping my ws6 stock for a while but I figured I would post my ideas and see what you experts think. Right now I have a ws6 with the m6, magna flow cat back with k&n's and a healthy 22,000 orginal miles. If I were to guess id say the car is putting down around 310-325rwh, and good for 13.1-13.3's at around 107? Anyway here is my list in order if something is out of place just let me know.

SLP air lid. I guess this simple mod is good for 5 hp at best.
    Headers- I have a few questions here. I was thinking of getting pace setter. Decent? Also can I use the stock Y pipe to save a few bucks?
    LS6 or Fast 92mm Intake manifold. Now I was told that that stock ls1 breathes enough to where it will not benifit from an ls6 intake without a better cam. Is this true? I believe the fastest stock F body was a 99 z28 that ran 12.85 and put down 321 hp by the guys at muscle mustang. http://www.stangbangers.com/01_Bullitt_Article2.htm. Either way its probably debatable. Thats why I will probably go with FAST 92 then port the stock TB. Anyone have any input?

I do not plan on doing engine work such as cam or heads.
    The stock Y pipe is a restriction with headers
    Look at it and you will see why

2002 CETA m6

wow! that article you posted said the stock SS put down 45 more horsepower to the rear wheels than the cobra

and thats a 1999, what a factory freak

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    Its actually a 1998.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...6.html?page=11

Here is the best time I could find for my car. I wonder if I could hit 12's with just cat back, filter, and radials.
    Last edited by Mike0202; 06-21-2009 at 06:34 PM.

Black
    2001 WS6

If you plan on keeping it stock, and nto going loud and obnoxious like the rest of us yet, the intake's a good start with tuning, ported tb will pick up a few more horses, a couple of the free ram air mods/ lid/ ftra (or the metal ducting up to the air lid).
    as far as headers, I know everyone likes pacesetters because they fit well and are cheap. If you have the money, for about $570 you can get a set of stainless steel hooker headers from byunspeed. The ORY, you want to get aftermarket, as the stocker is nothing but a giant restrictor. The catless y will pick up a few horses too. The tuning is good for another 10 hp or so, and you'll be runing right.

Flame Red / Orange Custom
    1998 Trans Am

I would do a cat-back or axel back exhaust system not too bad in price air lid is a good choice, Throttle Body is a really good one and it is easy to install but get a spacer it helps and it sounds cool and if you get headers you have to get a y-pipe unless you don't go long tube you can look around to find some but with long tubes you will get more power and you can get a set of ARH with High flow cats and y-pipe for about $1,400 thats what i did got them from LMperformance.com

Black
    1999 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Customta98 View Post
    I would do a cat-back or axel back exhaust system not too bad in price air lid is a good choice, Throttle Body is a really good one and it is easy to install but get a spacer it helps and it sounds cool and if you get headers you have to get a y-pipe unless you don't go long tube you can look around to find some but with long tubes you will get more power and you can get a set of ARH with High flow cats and y-pipe for about $1,400 thats what i did got them from LMperformance.com
    What will sound cool, the TB spacer being in there or the porter TB?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Don't bother with the intake manifold, don't get the FAST either, it's not worth the money unless you are doing heads/cam or something radical.

Start shopping for headers, there is nothing wrong with pacestters, but if you get them, get the ceramic coated ones. There's a lot of choices out there for these, then get an x-pipe and pick out your mufflers.

If I had to do it again, i'd get an x-pipe with spiralflows..good luck

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Don't bother with the intake manifold, don't get the FAST either, it's not worth the money unless you are doing heads/cam or something radical.

Start shopping for headers, there is nothing wrong with pacestters, but if you get them, get the ceramic coated ones. There's a lot of choices out there for these, then get an x-pipe and pick out your mufflers.

If I had to do it again, i'd get an x-pipe with spiralflows..good luck
    +1

And even if you did get yourself a fast 92mm intake, and someone correct me if i'm wrong, you won't be able to just use your stock TB and port it. stock TB is held in place by 3 bolts, where as I'm pretty sure the FAST requires a 4 bolt TB.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by StrikerWS6 View Post
    What will sound cool, the TB spacer being in there or the porter TB?
    Yeah the TB Spacer was what i was talking about, I have the BBK 80mm TB with spacer and it makes a little whistel at the right RPM sounds kinda cool i had people at the track who thought my car was a turbo but i just told them no it was just the Throtle Body & spacer.

Black
    1999 WS6

Yeah the TB Spacer was what i was talking about, I have the BBK 80mm TB with spacer and it makes a little whistel at the right RPM sounds kinda cool i had people at the track who thought my car was a turbo but i just told them no it was just the Throtle Body & spacer.
    LOL- Do all of em do that? I can just see a bunch of LS1' at the track with these things on and the spectators

1998 Trans Am

LOL- Do all of em do that? I can just see a bunch of LS1' at the track with these things on and the spectators
    To tell the truth I'm not sure if all of them do it, but I would think they do as long as they are the same size. I also did a slight port and polish on mine and that made it whistle more. Also it dose it better in cooler conditions.
    98 Trans Am Custom Paint, Ghost Skuls On Racing Stripe + Custom Front Lip, :MODs Tubular K-member, Tubular Upper and lower A-arms, Tubular Control Arms, 4:10's, Cam L-.567/.575 D@.05-.212/.218,1.85 Roller Rockers, P&P Heads, ARH Headers & HF Cats & Y-Pipe, SLP loudmouth catback, +'s

Black
    1999 WS6

To tell the truth I'm not sure if all of them do it, but I would think they do as long as they are the same size. I also did a slight port and polish on mine and that made it whistle more. Also it dose it better in cooler conditions.
    Which size TB would you recommend for the LS6 intake manifold? Im probably gonna keep the car bolt on and nothing more. The BBK unit comes with the TB spacer already, correct?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I got the LS6 intake and ported the stocker

1998 Trans Am

Which size TB would you recommend for the LS6 intake manifold? Im probably gonna keep the car bolt on and nothing more. The BBK unit comes with the TB spacer already, correct?
    For the LS6 I would probly just go with the 80mm TB your really not going to see any more performance with anything bigger till you start messing with internals, & Yes the BBK power plus 80mm dose come with a spacer & bolts.

Black
    1999 WS6

Is it true that the BBK TB's caused some high idle issues??

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Just stay away from SLP and you will do fine.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Thread Information