mattp343

Looking for info on a T/A

I am currently selling my mustang and hopefully going to try and get into a 98+ trans am or firebird (Whast the difference in the two?). I have about 15,000 but I dont want to buy a car much over 40K miles beacause I am going to be keeping this all through college.

What kind of T/A or firebird would be the best bang for the buck at around $15,000? I was thinking of getting a 98+ Formula or possibly ws6 if i can afford it, then adding a few performance and visual mods.

Please give me all information you have, I want to learn about these cars and I hear this place is the best to do it so thanks in advance.

Black Beast 1 badblack transam 01's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by mattp343
    I am currently selling my mustang and hopefully going to try and get into a 98+ trans am or firebird (Whast the difference in the two?). I have about 15,000 but I dont want to buy a car much over 40K miles beacause I am going to be keeping this all through college.

What kind of T/A or firebird would be the best bang for the buck at around $15,000? I was thinking of getting a 98+ Formula or possibly ws6 if i can afford it, then adding a few performance and visual mods.

Please give me all information you have, I want to learn about these cars and I hear this place is the best to do it so thanks in advance.
    I bought my 01 trans am for 13,200 it is a WS6, with 35,000 miles its a 20,000 dollar car but it has been T-boned the guy bought replacement parts put it back together painted it right and looks brand new. U can get a really good deal if you look around. A firebird has the smaller motor, the WS6 has the bigger motor with the 325 horsepower stock or somewhere around there. Good luck man and oh I would go with the WS6.

Black
    97 Firebird

Actually it depends. There are a few trim levels of Firebird. The base model bird, which comes with a 200hp 3.8L V6, then a Firebird Formula, which comes with the same 5.7 V8 as the Firebird Trans Am, and both are available with the WS6 performance and handling package, which adds a little bit of hp, with functional ram air, slightly better flowing exhaust as well as upgraded suspension and rubber. For example, the LS1 without the ws6 in 2002 was rated at 305 hp, which upgraded to 325 hp with the WS6 (which was under-rated anyways). Basically, the only difference between a Formula, and a Trans Am is simply the spoiler, fog lamps and groundfx kit. Some people think the Firebird looks more sleek with the cleaner lines, but others like the bigger stance of the TA. Just remember it doesn't have to be a TA to have a the LS1, or WS6 package.
    1997 Firebird 3.8L
    A4,WS6 Ram Air Hood, Edelbrock Catback, SLP CAI, 85 Dry Shot
    1981 Firebird Trans Am
    http://members.cardomain.com/dreaded_hope

mattp343
    thanks for the help anyone else care to chime in?

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

not sure if you want an auto or stick, but the auto is better for launches and the stick is a lot faster from a roll....or just get a auto and a stall. either way you'll need sfc's. Good luck on your car hunt

Bright Purple Metallic
    '98 Formula & '98 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by mattp343

I just bought a '98 WS6 for $12K, an extremely rare one at that. God I love when people don't know what they have.
    Co-Owner / Administrator, 5thGenCamaro.net
    2004 Pontiac GTO - M6 - Cosmos Purple Metallic (1 of 336 built)
    1998 Pontiac Firebird Formula - Hardtop - A4 - 3.42 - Bright Purple Metallic (1 of 26 built)
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 #19 - T-top - M6 - 3.42 - Bright Purple Metallic (1 of 12 built)

Red
    '03 Vette

I'm on my 3rd LS1 car. I had about the same budget as you. 16 months ago I bought my '00 WS6 with 40k miles. 6-speed, headers, 4.10's and some other minor mods and new tires. I paid $15,500. So I would guess you should be able to get a similar car but a year newer for the same price- maybe an '01.
    LS1's have done me very good. I came from a couple lemon cars ('94 LT1 Vette and a '90 Porsche 928S4) before this, and the LS1's were faster and much more reliable.
    Good luck!
    Jay

'03 Vette, AT, headers, Vararam, tune, DR's, 12.73@110, Speedworld AZ 12-08
    SOLD-'04 GTO, Red/Red, 6-speed, '05 SAP kit, Magnaflow catback
    SOLD- 2/06, '00 TA WS6, 13.02@113.4

Black
    2000 Firebird Formula WS6

Shop around

If you are able, shop around alot.. go everywhere you can think of.. I got my 2000 WS6 Formula with 26,000 miles for 14,400.

Dreamin of a Paint Job... XtinKt's Avatar

Silver
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

got mine off ebay for $15,500 with 37K.

purple/blue metallic
    2001 WS6

I was once a Mustang owner myself. I saw the light. I changed my Ford ways and crossed over to the GM side. Let's go back in time...it's 1990...the Canadian Province(state) of Quebec wants to separate from Canada and become it's own independant French country. Gm isn't selling more camaros and firebirds than Ford is selling stangs. GM wants to bury the f-body rwd 2 door cars. The plant that makes camaros and firebirds is in Quebec. Kill the f-body cars and send thousands of Quebecers to the unemployment line?? Hell no. Canadian federal gov't and Quebec provincial(state) gov't lend GM $110 million each...that's $220 million bucks...to keep making firebirds and camaros until 2017. The cars are half payed for by Canadian tax payers. Face it...a WS-6 trans am should cost as much as a Corvette...but hey...us Canuckers shelled out the taxes for you fine American folks south of the border.
    It's 1993...the St Theresse plant in Quebec spends the $220 million on the latest high tech robots and computers and new assembly line toys. A new generation of camaro and firebird comes out. CAW (UAW)workers get a raise in pay. Happy factory...happy workers...awesome cars roll off the line. No one buys em! They can make 200,000 cars at that plant each year. They only sell 120,000 a year. OOOpps! In 1998 they make the last change on the cars. The auto jounalists all agree that the f-body cars are finally perfect. They insult the flimsey turn signal/cruise control/ wiper switch...but find no other fault in the car. JD Power even says nice things about the cars. Consumer Reports rates them a "best buy" for 10 yrs in a row! But nobody wants em! GM kills the cars in 2002. So buy one...I did...I'm happy...cost me about $18,000 US dollars for a rare Bird loaded with all the SLP Engineering toys you need. I love my WS6. Hell...I'm Canadian...the car is made in Canada...almost...Quebec is still in Canada...this year...haha! I pay my taxes...so I've owned half a WS6 for yrs now...I should have shelled out the other half and bought one yrs ago.
    I buckle my 3 yr old daughter into her car seat in the back...turn on her fav CD shift it into 1st....2000rpm...shift to 4th...800 rpm...chuggadda...chuggadda...chuggadda. We roll off to pre-school....my 8 yr old son loves the car too....a family car. EPA made them make the car get 21 mpg...it's the law. The 2001 WS6 puts out less pollution than a 1994 Honda Civic. I drive like a grandma around town...the car is smooth as silk...the car loves and cares for my kids...I feel safe and warm in it. The 1993-2002 f-body will go down in history as prolly' the best cars ever made...ask Jay Leno...he drives one.
    Last edited by Transamapleleaf; 11-23-2005 at 11:08 AM.

Red
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

I got my 98 ws6 for 12,000 with 9,600 miles on it . The car was just mint not a flaw anywhere. My dad has been a body man his whole life and could not belive the condition the car was in. You just have to look around and you will find a good deal somewhere.

flat black
    If interested im selling my 2000 T/A pm me for info....will sell for good price

BRIGHT RED
    2002 FIREHAWK

firehawk

I just bought my 2002 firehawk from a dealer for 14,500 with 15,890 miles...runs a looks pretty good I think... has slp package wu6 it's build #1216...according to slp performance... good luck finding the car of your dream

Blue
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14

new ta

I would say go with a 01 or newer WS6, 6 spd if you're a drivers driver, auto if your plan on taking it to the track (or get stuck in traffic a lot). The 01's and up have the LS6 intake on the and egr removed. If you see an 01 with 02 wheels that means it's a late model 01. I had an 01 and loved it. It had piston slap like a son of bitch but it ran like a raped ape. LS1's no matter what you buy, you're gonna be happy. I just bought my wife an 02 anniversary Z28 with 113k miles on it and it looks brand new and hauls ass, possibly a factory freak. I picked it up for $10K, like the good Dr. said, it's nice when people don't know what they have. Something to remember, these motors really come alive around 70 to 80k miles. I don't know why, but being in the LS1 world now for several years, that is what people have said so don't be afraid to buy something with some miles on it. What you wanna look for is how the the car is, interior and exterior wise. If you pop open the hood and you can eat off the motor (like my wife's car) it's probably been well taken care of. If the driver side left bolster isn't ripped to shreads then it's probably been taken care of. MHO. Hope this helps.

Justin
    Justin Martin-LS1 ASC guy; Serving Proudly USAF Silver 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Lmtd Edition, 5 spd. 2006 Kawasaki VN2000, Thunder Pro Charger, pwr commander, HK 2:1 sideburner, 240 rear tire. 100HP and 130ft/lbs @ rear wheel.

N/A nitrously aspirated stangslayer98's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

ive owned two stangs in the past, ive always liked the T/A but could never afford one......you might be able to find a c5 vette for a little over 15k

N/A nitrously aspirated stangslayer98's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

oh yeah stangs

Black
    02 Z06

You guys suck. You guys got such good deals on your cars. I paid $15,000 for mine and it had like 70k miles on it. But it also has every single option and was in great condition except for blown speakers that I did'nt find out about till I got home.

Is your roush a GT? if so I would keep that. I love those cars. They look awesome.

mattp343
    thanks for the info guys...im debating whether or not to go for a Saleen, Roush Stage 2 or go with a T/A decisions decisions

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

While the Roush is a very sexy car, if you want the car for power you will be playing catch up to the T/A. I once had a 98 roush then an 02 roush and boy o boy is there a difference in handeling but. . . the power. . . I love my TA

-00BlueTA

srhodes
    yes

Thread Information