Thread: line-lock

Red
    1999 Trans Am ws.6

line-lock

I just bought a line loock for my car,and would like to know specifics on installing it,the directions are not helpful whatsoever..so any guidence/pictures word save me from strugling..lol...I hate working with brakes,ik how to but just hate it.thanks in advanced!

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

What kind of kit is it? It's a self explanatory install...brakes lines should be pre-bent, and should line up to the rear port of brake master cylinder and the rear driver side port on the ABS block.

Here is a shot of my engine bay...you can see the line lock on the right.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

I'm interested on some info as well.
    Installing seems simple. My problem is how to use it! Lol
    What kit do u have
    Ls1camino??

After installing the linelock. Do I have to bleed the brake lines?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    My problem is how to use it?
    It's really basic...two wires. One goes to ground and one goes to 12V power. Just wire an on/off switch in between the 12V source and the line lock and you're set.

What kit do u have?
    SMJ Engineering.

Do I have to bleed the brake lines?
    Yes, and you can't do it the conventional way, you need a "Pressure Bleeder". When I bled the brakes after my line lock install, the pedal was firm, but when I actually test drove the car afterwards, the pedal went to the floor. I took it to a shop and they did it in a few minutes.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'm interested on some info as well.
    Installing seems simple. My problem is how to use it! Lol
    What kit do u have
    Ls1camino??

After installing the linelock. Do I have to bleed the brake lines?
    Using it is simple. Depress the brake (hard - the line lock works off the pressure in the line so the harder you press the pedal before you switch the line lock on, the harder the brakes are set). While holding the brake pedal down flip the line lock switch to the "on" position. Remove your foot from the brake pedal. Your front brakes are engaged and the rears are free to go. Do your burnout. When you are done doing your burnout and want to roll up to the gate (assuming you are using for track use), just flip the switch and the hydraulic fluid pressure holding the front brakes is released.

The advantage to having a line lock is a) you do not tear up your rear pads and rotors while doing burnouts and b) for manual cars, it makes it a lot easier to do a burnout because you do not have to foot pedal it, meaning hurry up and switch foots from the clutch to the brake to hold yourself in place once you dump your clutch for your burnout.
    Last edited by 35th-ANV-SS; 08-15-2011 at 07:06 AM.

Red
    1999 Trans Am ws.6

Its a hurst roll control,and alrighbt I gotchya I just was confused,never did nething like this,and didn't kbnow which lines to install to.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I installed an SLP line lock on our car last year. It is a seriously fun toy on the street and a necessity at the track for the burnout box. It is best to use an actual "line wrench" on the fittings in lieu of a standard wrench. Less likely to round a fitting during removal and installation with a line wrench. Trying to remember what the flare is on our brake lines -- for some reason I am thinking that it is not the standard flare that you get on parts store replacement line. Anyone?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ok -- just found the thread from when I did mine. It is apparently called an "ISO" or "Bubble" flare on the lines.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Jeff - You've used your line lock to do burnouts on the street?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Jeff - You've used your line lock to do burnouts on the street?

Hell yeah! What good is a law degree if I don't use it once in a while?

I am guessing 5-6 good burnouts on the street. One was in front of my friend's house right on North Main Street. I opened the cutout, revved on it, dropped it in drive with the line lock on and let it rip. My phone rang within 30 seconds -- he was laughing his ass off.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Good stuff. I haven't used mine on the street...yet. I'm afraid with my luck that a cop would see me or more likely "hear me" and ticket me. I did however go to make a turn the other day going west bound from east bound. Instead of making the turn left I did more of a u-turn. In the middle of the turn I noticed several people watching me so I stepped on it and went down the road basically sideways for a good 50'. That was fun

Red
    1999 Trans Am ws.6

well after reading the fun u guys have with yours,I need to install mine asap,for a lil fun,and in hopes of getting good use at the track.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I just gravity bled mine....didn't have to do anything else. The SLP instructions were basically wrong......what they were saying as far as how the lines went on weren't how the lines actually lined up. It's a pretty simple device and install though....you shouldn't have any problems even if you didn't have instructions.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Hell yeah! What good is a law degree if I don't use it once in a while?

I am guessing 5-6 good burnouts on the street. One was in front of my friend's house right on North Main Street. I opened the cutout, revved on it, dropped it in drive with the line lock on and let it rip. My phone rang within 30 seconds -- he was laughing his ass off.
    Done this, same results

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Good stuff. I haven't used mine on the street...yet. I'm afraid with my luck that a cop would see me or more likely "hear me" and ticket me. I did however go to make a turn the other day going west bound from east bound. Instead of making the turn left I did more of a u-turn. In the middle of the turn I noticed several people watching me so I stepped on it and went down the road basically sideways for a good 50'. That was fun

I get that feeling every time I start mine. I have 5 LEO's in my neighborhood and my car is the loudest. I haven't even installed a cutout yet I know I'll get into trouble once I get a line lock & cutouts

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I just gravity bled mine....didn't have to do anything else. The SLP instructions were basically wrong......what they were saying as far as how the lines went on weren't how the lines actually lined up. It's a pretty simple device and install though....you shouldn't have any problems even if you didn't have instructions.
    I read on a thread here that there are 2 lines that you have to do the opposite of what the directions tell you to get the SLP to work correctly. Any truth?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I read on a thread here that there are 2 lines that you have to do the opposite of what the directions tell you to get the SLP to work correctly. Any truth?
    it's been a while but yes....I believe that's how mine was. The instructions use the color of the nuts to tell you where to put them and they were backwards I believe.

Thread Information