Thread: lets hear it...

lets hear it...

Just curious when you guys got your first F-body? like how old where you and how did you afford it? How much did it cost...

What was your insurance like on your first F-body and all those good things

I was 16, i got a 95 Firebird, was my first car. I saw it in the paper, went with my mom to look at it and we liked it and bought it next day.. this was like 3 days before i got my lincense... sad to say but i know nothing about F-bodys then and nothing really about cars in general. After i got it i fell in love.. ahaha took car of it, it had a nice sound system in it.. was a V6 had
    14x,xxx miles on it

( we didnt have it looked at before we bought it... bad idea the brakes had 1,800$ worth of repair due on them.. rear dif. was leaking oil, power windows went out, then a hail storm F***ed it up really bad... the list went on and on...) My mother bought it for me (2.5k)... and i wrecked it being a dumbass.. nothing to serious but i cracked the rear dif..

I plan to pay her back, i dont have to but i feel i should for being a dumb ass

Sorry for the long story but i am really interested to here about your guys, first F-body and first vehicles in general...

Awaiting Activation
    i bought mine when i was 17. It was the summer between junior and senior year. I had saved every penny i had since i got into high school. When i was 16 i got a decent job and saved, saved, saved. I was such a cheap ass, i wouldn't buy anything - it all went towards the car. During the school year i worked about 30hrs a week and during the summers i was working 60+ hrs a week all summer. I eventually saved up about $11,000.

I had been searching for the perfect car for about 6months before i found mine. I was on autotrader.com and cars.com everyday. I would always pick up those classified magazines in the grocery / movie stores. Those were all over my house. The day i bought my car she told me that i better not bring another one of those damn magazines in the house again.

I was like 99% set on a black car, but then my car just popped up and i knew it was the one. It was a '99 navy blue Z28, 6spd, ttops, no mods, 60k miles. The best part about my car was the owner - a woman!! And her husband was a chevy mechanic. The car was maintained perfectly and stored winters. The husband had bought the car through his dealer though some GM dealer network thing. Before he had it it was driven by some other GM dealer worker. How good could it get?

They wanted 11k and i got it for 10,500. They even had a car cover and a box with like 12 AC delco filters for the car. So i've still yet to buy a filter for the car. I live in chicago and went all the way to michigan to get it. It was well worth the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    i bought mine when i was 17. It was the summer between junior and senior year. I had saved every penny i had since i got into high school. When i was 16 i got a decent job and saved, saved, saved. I was such a cheap ass, i wouldn't buy anything - it all went towards the car. During the school year i worked about 30hrs a week and during the summers i was working 60+ hrs a week all summer. I eventually saved up about $11,000.

I had been searching for the perfect car for about 6months before i found mine. I was on autotrader.com and cars.com everyday. I would always pick up those classified magazines in the grocery / movie stores. Those were all over my house. The day i bought my car she told me that i better not bring another one of those damn magazines in the house again.

I was like 99% set on a black car, but then my car just popped up and i knew it was the one. It was a '99 navy blue Z28, 6spd, ttops, no mods, 60k miles. The best part about my car was the owner - a woman!! And her husband was a chevy mechanic. The car was maintained perfectly and stored winters. The husband had bought the car through his dealer though some GM dealer network thing. Before he had it it was driven by some other GM dealer worker. How good could it get?

They wanted 11k and i got it for 10,500. They even had a car cover and a box with like 12 AC delco filters for the car. So i've still yet to buy a filter for the car. I live in chicago and went all the way to michigan to get it. It was well worth the trip.
    Wow... you got lucky... well i dont want to say that since you worked your ass off and you spent all that time looking...

I hope i am as lucky as you..

i have only been looking at cars within 200 miles of where i live, should i just look every where for one? cause i would like to know how you went up there, bought it ( if it was what you liked ), got tags, and come back.. all in one day!

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by TransDreamer View Post

i have only been looking at cars within 200 miles of where i live, should i just look every where for one? cause i would like to know how you went up there, bought it ( if it was what you liked ), got tags, and come back.. all in one day!
    Thats what i did. I looked at everything within 200 miles. I talked to the people several times on the phone about the car before i made the trip. So i was 99% sure i was buying the car before i even went to see it. Becuase it looked aweomse in the pics. So we went and got a $10,000 money order made out then got $1000 in cash. Because they wanted 11k and i figure i could get a little lower. I bought it for 10.5k so i gave them the 10k check then 500 cash.

My parents both went with me in the minivan to see the car. Then after we got it mom drove the van home and me and dad were in the Z28. I needed him to drive as i had never driven a stick before lol.

I called insurance and they said: just tell them what day i was buying it -and i would be covered for the drive back. Then we just used the tags off a car we were selling. If i would've been pulled over i dont know what woulda happened. But i had the title in hand so i'm sure i would've been fine. It all went smoothly and i couldn't be happier.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Got mine almost 4 years ago. I was 23 and looking for a black WS.6 when I rolled across mine in AutoTrader. $23,000. Out the door for $21,300.
    It was a 1999 with 9959 miles on it.
    Now has 33,330 on it.

Also makes roughly 230-240 more RWHP than it did when I bought it.

Black
    C5 M6 Vette

My First Fbody was a '85 Z28 with Iroc hood and wheels. Had a 305 and 5spd and I bought the car for $1000 the day of my highschool graduation. It was a real POS, it was 5 dif colors, no interior (completely stripped) had dry rotted tires and the trim on the bottom was falling off, and no exhaust at all, ended at the y pipe. Ya alot of work went into that bad boy, I sold it and bought my current 1998 Firebird.

The 'bird is a V6 auto that's silver with blue decals. It's basically stock with 3.08 gears, it runs with 94-98 Mustang GTs LOL! It's up for sale now, i'll be posting it within the next couple weeks, hoping to buy my next FBody (third in a row) that will be most likely a Formula, however it's not yet set in stone. Either way I'll own another FBody before my 22nd B-Day and I'll be happy as long as it has an LS1 under the hood!

Also along the way the only other autos I've spent $$ on from my first to current F-Body cars was 2 Gixxers! A geared and lowered 2000 GSXR 600, then my current bike a black/silver 2005 GSXR 600, also lowered but not geared.

I love fast things!

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Bought My first F-body at 21 in 1990 it was a `78 Camaro Z28 $4500 and it was mint. Totaled it 2 months later (fell asleep at the wheel on the way home from work) 3 weeks after that I was in My next F-body. `79 Trans Am 403 Auto T-tops Bought it form the Original ownerfor $3200. built it and beat it and it lasted for 7 yrs without a hitch. Traded it in `97 towards a$14k `94 Formula A4 Red HdTp, That car was fun but only Marginally faster than the old T/A.
    I was reading up on the new LS1's and Ordered My NBM Formula in Jan. `98
    Hdtp 6spd with Keyless entry. Car arrived exactly 10 wks later like the salesman said it would. $23,600 was the sticker and it had all of 9 miles on it.
    I've had this Car for almost 9 yrs now and is my Fast and Reliable Daily Driver.
    Current mileage is 113,600 and still on the original Clutch.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

My dad and i bought my first one when i was 15, 1993 formula a4, Now ive got the 98' T/A m6 and i love it

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

immediatly upon signing the final paper, my johnson grew 3 times bigger and I grew 10" taller. 4 bombshell blondes in fuck-me pumps and thigh highs asked me to go out. Everyone I met said "damn, i wish i was him." I strutted like i owned the joint wherever I went b/c I knew what I drove was bad ass.

Ok, the only thing true was the last statement. Hope your dreams come true, hoss. It took me 6 years to get mine. First saw one when I was 16, cutting some dude's lawn. Some blonde in a red ws.6 drove past and my heart was determined [to get the car, not the blonde...guess these ls1's do that to you]. Few years later in college, saw a black 02 in the parking lot and wanted to rape it b/c it was so damn sexy. Finally after graduation and getting a full time career job making wads of cash: i bought the batmobile with my first pay check.

take your time, follow your dreams–good luck, man.

Custom Car Emblems
    from third_shift|studios
    Pittsburgh Car Detailing & Paint Protection from ts|s detailing
    jaison tortorea

White
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

I was 17 when I bought my first f-body. It was an 88 Camaro with the 2.8L engine with 56,xxx miles on it. It sat in a garage unmoved for 7+ years, so it was nothing but problems. I sold that and bought a 96 Camaro 3.8L which had around 79,xxx miles on it. Back in October I sold that to my brother just after he turned 16, and since I have a better job than I previously did, I thought I'd move up to bigger and better things and bought a 2000 WS.6...one of my dream cars since I was about 13. It's an amazing feeling to own your dream car at 20, just make sure you can actually afford the payments and still save money.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

My first F-bod was a 96 T/A, I was 18, I had saved the whole time I was in highschool drove a beater. When i got a decent job I bought my first t/a, made it a ws.6 clone with the hood and wheels anyway. I think my insurance was around 140$ amonth for full covereage, I wanted a newer f-bod but couldnt afford it at the time, I now am a little older and have a better job and have 99 WS.6 (true), 05 Roush stage 1, 99 F-150, 04 Jeep liberty (wifes). I love my cars, and I hope you have the patience to hold out and get the one car you want, try no to succumb to settle for a car that is less than you want. Good luck and have fun but be safe.

Black
    2002 T/A WS6

My first fbody was a 95 z28 i bought it when i was 21 one of the guys at my work had it and he didnt have a clue about anything let alone cars (didnt even know the T-tops came off). i paid 2500 for the car with 59k miles but had to have the tranny rebuilt from netural drops (about 1200 with everything i put in it). i drove it for a little over a year before i decided i wanted a ls1 so i started looking for a ws6 within texas finally found one when i was home on leave that wasnt being advertised yet talked to the guy at the car lot and that night i drove out with it for 17k its a 02 with 50k miles.

Pewter Metallic (1of?)
    2001 Formula M6(1 of 225)

I bought my first F-body a year ago, I originally bought a 2005 Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0L Automatic when I got home from Iraq (Oct '05) ($18,300) from the original sticker of 23,000 when ford had that family plan goin on(17 miles on it). I loved it, I was trying hard to find an LS1 F-body, but none were around my area, then 4 MONTHS after buying the ranger and a week of it being stuck in service for the coil assembly failing (It was only running on 3 cylinders) and the ecu crappin out, I found my 01 Formula sittin at a local chevy dealer. I am the second owner.
    Traded in my 05 ranger with all of 10,200mi on it (took a lot of trips to see family after getting back from the sandbox),for my beautiful 01 Formula, M6, T-tops, Monsoon, cloth interior, keyless entry. Little bit of haggling with the salesman, and they gave me payoff on my ranger and got a free and clear loan of $14,700 for my formy. Bought it with 49,372 miles on it(Feb '06). Ran like it just came off the showroom. I feel it's been worth every penny. Bought it 2 months after my 20th b-day. now i'm just a hair below 69000 miles(it's my DD and love to take sunday cruises in it). insurance is $124/mo full coverage. The lady who owned it before me babied the thing. Only thing done to it was the flowmaster muffler for an LS1 F-body. Not even a month later I started my mods.

Pewter Metallic (1of?)
    2001 Formula M6(1 of 225)

I even have the original window sticker to mine, and found out that it is 1 out of 225 for 01 Formulas just on drivetrain alone, haven't been able to narrow it down to paint code, but i would imagine that I am probably 1 of 40 or 50 at the most. Mods include SLP lid, Free Ram Air Mod, k&n filter, p&p tb, tb spacer (soon to modified to a nitrous plate), Custom Tune, ORY(no cats), SLP LM1, Motive 4.10 gears, and short throw shifter. In the works for '07 H/C package, Ram Air Hood, 17in WS6 wheels (not speedline), 1" lowering, SFC, STB, LCAs (with relocation brackets), panhard, torque arm.

98T/Aformula
    I was 17 when I got mine right before senior year I had a Blazer that did not treate me well at all, I first started looking at camaros and I had my mind set on thats what I was going to get I looked every day on the internet and news papers, and teast drove at least ten camaros but non were what I was looking for then about six months after I started looking I found a black T/A ith only 68,000 miles on it and was in my price range and was with in 5 min of my house and had a transfurable 2 year warrenty, I teast drove it, conviced my parents to let me buy it, and 4 days after I test drove it it was sitting in my garage, best day ever !!!

green
    98 formula

I was 18 in 1995 when I bought a 1988 camaro 305 tbi auto with 70,xxx for @$5000 from a local dealer full coverage was $800 every 6 months I never did any mods to it at the time my hot rod was an 84 chevy short bed (my first truck) when I was 21 I had the car repainted from red/graey to indigo blue it looked awesome then just a few days later someone hit it at my own house I was sooo pissed a few days later I traded it on a 1981 full size 2wd lowered blazer and built a 383 with 700r4 ( that truck was fun) next came my 1993 chevy k2500 350 tbi ( still alive 178,xxx mi ) sold the blazer in 2000 for next to nothing with a bad trans bought a 1965 nova wagon to do an lt1 6m swap and it never happened that car resold a month later so I bought a 1991 firebird 305 tbi a4 had it painted a few weeks later from burgandy to chrome yellow ( mustang color) started building a motor and trans for it the worked stopped with a short block and I drove the car everyda y for a year finally started stripping the drive train bought a 2000 ws6 for parts swapped in the
    ls1 6m and once again stopped then came a 1995 FORD windstar (sold) then 1999 FORD tarus traded on a 2001 chevy tahoe 2001 camaro ss sunset orange vert 6m then a 2005 dodge 3500 diesel 6m banks then traded 2001 tahoe on a 2005 gmc yukon and last a 1998 formula I have no idea what my insurance runs now I just work and give all the money to the wife hope to add cars and trucks to the collection good luck with yours

Thread Information