pewter
    1999 pontiac trans am

kooks true duals

Has any one bought this setup? And if so how do you feel about it? Sound vs. y-pipe. Does the extra weight negate any horsepower gains?

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by bluenose1 View Post
    Has any one bought this setup? And if so how do you feel about it? Sound vs. y-pipe. Does the extra weight negate any horsepower gains?
    I am contemplating getting this, I would be interested in hearing opinions on this from someone who has it though.

If I were really contimplating true duals, I'd do the Bassani kit before the Kooks. It's more reasonably priced and accomplishes the same thing.

For my money and goals though, I found it better to go with a Mufflex setup. Had great results from them in the past so I stuck with what I know.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    If I were really contimplating true duals, I'd do the Bassani kit before the Kooks. It's more reasonably priced and accomplishes the same thing.

For my money and goals though, I found it better to go with a Mufflex setup. Had great results from them in the past so I stuck with what I know.
    Yea but doesn't bassani require modifications to work with LTs? I'll have to check out the mufflex TDs.

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Yea but doesn't bassani require modifications to work with LTs? I'll have to check out the mufflex TDs.
    Bassani doesn't require mods that I know of. There were a couple people here running them with long tube headers.

Mufflex doesn't carry true duals, they carry the largest I-pipe catbacks on the market,,,up to 4".

You still use a Y pipe, (they have a nice one at that) and it merges into a more realistic 3 1/2" or 4" "I" pipe instead of the little 3" catbacks that are flooding the market. I've used this setup on an 11 second 4th gen and picked up 3 tenths and 3+ mph over the 3" catbacks.
    Much more price friendly and a better bang for your buck if you ask me. I'd like to try a Bassani true dual and compare it to the Mufflex 4" catback, but for the money it's a rather expensive test, and I'm not so sure I'd see much if any improvement.

True duals that are turned down in front of the rearend (although cheap) are just out of the question for us.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Bassani doesn't require mods that I know of. There were a couple people here running them with long tube headers.

Mufflex doesn't carry true duals, they carry the largest I-pipe catbacks on the market,,,up to 4".

You still use a Y pipe, (they have a nice one at that) and it merges into a more realistic 3 1/2" or 4" "I" pipe instead of the little 3" catbacks that are flooding the market. I've used this setup on an 11 second 4th gen and picked up 3 tenths and 3+ mph over the 3" catbacks.
    Much more price friendly and a better bang for your buck if you ask me. I'd like to try a Bassani true dual and compare it to the Mufflex 4" catback, but for the money it's a rather expensive test, and I'm not so sure I'd see much if any improvement.

True duals that are turned down in front of the rearend (although cheap) are just out of the question for us.
    Oh I thought you were saying Mufflex makes a cheaper TD set up. At some point I may try that 4" I pipe. Since the Bassani TDs are about $1,000 or just under it.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

This guy has them. CLICK HERE I want them too. I've heard the mufflers are too small so they get a little noisey and possiblly some rasp. But thats just what I've read so far. I haven't heard it in person yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    This guy has them. CLICK HERE I want them too. I've heard the mufflers are too small so they get a little noisey and possiblly some rasp. But thats just what I've read so far. I haven't heard it in person yet.
    Yes, when I first saw the system and noticed those tiny little bullet mufflers on the end I knew right away that system was going to be noisy. Just not something I want on our daily driver. Nice looking system though,,,sure isn't cheap though.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Can't ever go wrong with Kooks.
    That said, knowing Kooks, it has to be freaking EXPENSIVE! Probably over what I would pay.

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Oh I thought you were saying Mufflex makes a cheaper TD set up. At some point I may try that 4" I pipe. Since the Bassani TDs are about $1,000 or just under it.
    Yes Bassani systems are just over $900 but that's sure is alot cheaper than the $1300 Kooks system you were looking at.

That's why I use the Mufflex setup with the larger I-pipe. For about $500 you get a nice bump in performance and sound without all the rasp over the 3" catbacks,,,,and I'd bet the real dual systems only offer a marginal improvement if any at all. I'm not willing to spend another $900 to find out.

Black
    2002 Firehawk

I'd love to comment on the horsepower to weight relationship (just from seat of the pants) but I still haven't put insurance on the car, so it's only been started and revved lol. Still waiting to receive an invoice for a mail tune, so until then I'm a little cautious to take her out and really open her up on the hwy.

As far as sound goes, I absolutely love it! Nice and deep and no rasp when revved up in the driveway. Keep in mind though I opted to keep cats on my car, so I'm sure that will help reduce, if not remove, any rasp. As far as being overly noisy, sure it's louder than the stock dual/dual that was on the car (never heard it with long tubes though), I wouldn't call it ridiculously noisy. Upon a cold start it's a little loud, but once warmed up it mellows out quite nicely.

Install was pretty easy too. I had help some help from a friend holding the pipes in place and lining up the tailpipes. They are still a tiny bit off (passenger side sticks out a little more than driver) but I was eager to get the car off the jack stands...

It's pretty much taking every inch of will power to resist grabbing insurance and heading out to the hwy to see what she can do. On that note would it be safe to drive it with out a tune?

I have no regrets going with this system and once I finally get it on the street I'm sure (hopefully) I'll retain that same thought.

pewter
    1999 trans am

I've had my Kook's True Dual system on for a couple of weeks now and I love it. The tone is great, no rasp, just sounds like a 60's big block when i'm getting on it. Real mean like, don't f++k with me unless you got something to back it up. I was actually getting tired of the T/A and was considering trading in for a s/c cobalt. But I've fallen back in love with this car all over again. Iv'e had car's back off from street racing just from the sound of the exhaust. LOL

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

damn sounds good! get some videos! i want to hear it. i want a new exhaust set up

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by solaraftw View Post
    I've had my Kook's True Dual system on for a couple of weeks now and I love it. The tone is great, no rasp, just sounds like a 60's big block when i'm getting on it. Real mean like, don't f++k with me unless you got something to back it up. I was actually getting tired of the T/A and was considering trading in for a s/c cobalt. But I've fallen back in love with this car all over again. Iv'e had car's back off from street racing just from the sound of the exhaust. LOL
    How does it sound at idle? And do you have the catted version or no?

pewter
    1999 trans am

I do have the catted version, at idle it just rumbles, I have an A4 and thru the gears it is like sex. It just goes so smooth but when you punch it you hear the intake open and the exhaust just screams and the gears just change like boom, boom.boom, for a bette r way to describe it. I've had this car for over six years but i never had so many people trying to run it now that I installed this exhaust system. It attracts a lot of attention now that I have the true duals. I've had a few street races and have not lost one yet.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I'd like to hear the setup preferably with cats on a cammed ls1 since I was considering redoing my exhaust including header since my qtp set up scrapes too much with the car lowered and hear that this setup runs tight to the body of the car.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

i agree with ryan i want to hear a catted set up with a cam

Thread Information