Thread: knock sensors

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

knock sensors

i tripped my damn SES light about 4 months ago and the code im getting is the knock sensor, is this a commom thing in our cars or is it cuz my y pipe bangs every now and then?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Its not common and its something you should have fixed 4 months ago when it first occurred. It doesn't have anything to do with your y-pipe banging either. The actual knock sensors are located under the intake inside the valley cover that is in between both heads.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

do you or have you washed the engine with a garden hose? #1 reason knock sensors take a crap is do to moisture getting to them under the intake. The good news is it's a pretty cheap and easy fix. The intake is a piece of cake to take off on these cars. Go to ls1howto.com and read the write up on swapping intakes. It'll give you the step by step on pulling and installing your intake. Your first time will probably take you between 1-2 hours start to finish. After that it's a 30-45 minute job probably.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Like above reply said it is probably the moisture from washing the engine. IF you did wash it then the front sensor is probably bad. They run about $45 a piece so it wouldn't hurt to replace both just to be safe. A word of caution when removing the intake is to watch for the MAP sensor and Oil pressure sensor because many break the oil pressure sensor and sometimes the MAP sensor while removing the intake for the first time and they can add up when doing a simple intake removal and install. Just make sure the brake booster hose does not snag on the sensor when removing the intake.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by bpopham22 View Post
    i tripped my damn SES light about 4 months ago and the code im getting is the knock sensor, is this a commom thing in our cars or is it cuz my y pipe bangs every now and then?
    Your knock sensor detects minute vibrations in your engine. The word "knock" when used in this instance has nothing to do with the sound made by anything.. They "look" for a particular frequency in engine internal vibrations caused by detonation. As others have stated above imho you need to get on this right away.. Knock kills, even more so in boosted cars too.. Good luck..
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-10-2010 at 01:48 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

sorry but...

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

lol ok u guys thinks its funny but read this right here http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1795

98 Formula
    06 duramax

lol ok u guys thinks its funny but read this right here http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1795
    I agree with you.....there's been cases where a banging Y-pipe will set off the knock sensors but what you're experiencing is a bad sensor I think. The Y-pipe bang will just make the sensor think it's hearing knock and pull timing.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I highly doubt it's being caused by a "banging" exhaust pipe.. A sales gimick is one thing but a banging exhaust? Come on be f&cked up for real man.. In all my years of working with engines and even on boosted cars I've never once witnessed this happen. But I guess anything is possible..

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I highly doubt it's being caused by a "banging" exhaust pipe.. A sales gimick is one thing but a banging exhaust? Come on be f&cked up for real man.. In all my years of working with engines and even on boosted cars I've never once witnessed this happen. But I guess anything is possible..
    the knock sensor just "listens" to a frequency range. If the Y pipe bangs just right the sensors *can* pick that up. Think about why LS1's can't run gear drive timing sets.....it really jacks with the knock sensors.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I couldnt get mine to pass emissions one time cause of this code. I had to pull mine off twice. The second time was to replace the wires. And then I realized I should have worn a long sleeve jacket both times, my arms were scratched to shit. My .02
    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Try roasting your crow. It'll be easier to get down.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I like grilling mine with a nice brown sugar based rub

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the knock sensor just "listens" to a frequency range. If the Y pipe bangs just right the sensors *can* pick that up. Think about why LS1's can't run gear drive timing sets.....it really jacks with the knock sensors.
    Gotcha.. Don't really have that trouble with iron blocks..

Thread Information