Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

key gets locked in ignition!

for the last week, randomly when i turn the car off, the key gets locked in the ignition and i cant get it out unless i wiggle the shit out of it for a couple minutes, its really freegin annoying...do i need a new ignition lock cylinder or what???

99FRC,00TA,98Formula
    91Firebird,88FieroGT

The same thing happened to me a few months ago. What had happened is the lock pin that locks the steering wheel after you take the key out broke and was making the key get stuck in the ignition. I ended up replacing the ignition lock cylinder and got a new key. Hope that helps.

Blackened fire chicken

...is it something you think id be able to do myself? im not a "certified mechanic" or whatever, but i do/have done alot stuff to my car myself...i can afford the part, i just hate paying some one else to do something i couldve done myself and saved money

Blackened fire chicken

ive noticed in only happens in the morning, then the rest of the day it doesnt...its really weird

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

I would'nt worry about it man, its really weird though my bird did it 3 or 4 summers ago on and off all summer long, but it has'nt given me trouble for years now, just went away.

BLACK!!!
    1999 Trans Am

This happened to mine, i had to put a whole ignition in it.

Blackened fire chicken

seriously, its really freegin weird! it only does it 2 times in the morning, and then the rest of the day it doesnt do it...im not going to worry about too much until it starts getting worse, then ill replace the ignition. i cant afford it right now anyways, i have to pay my dmv registration, car payment, and a speeding ticket i got on the way back from las vegas...damn chp!

BLACK!!!
    1999 Trans Am

On mine i had to jiggle the hell out of the steering wheel and pull down on it while turning the key to get mine started before. It does suck i know how you feel.
    It doesn't matter if you win by an inch, or a mile. Winning is winning

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I believe your key is worn out. The teeth are rounded and not engaging the cylinder right. I've seen it at my work before. Use a new key and voila. There is also another problem with pontiacs. I have it w mine, and had it in the past with a grand am. There are two pins in the steering column. One of these will get loose. And then you can wiggle, well, really move your steering wheel diagonally. then all the stupid pieces that make up the ignition and high beam stuff goes haywire. You will pull the key, and the ignition will still be running. Dead battery. Once you tear into this about three or twelve times, you will figure out how it works, and be able to wiggle it correctly to get it to shut off. Or on. Doesn't sound like this is your problem. But, it's good info to have.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Oh, and ditto on the ticket, on the way home from Vegas, az county sherriff. 84 in a 65. Just cruising along, 1800 rpm. $200
    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Try roasting your crow. It'll be easier to get down.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I like grilling mine with a nice brown sugar based rub

Blackened fire chicken

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    I believe your key is worn out. The teeth are rounded and not engaging the cylinder right. I've seen it at my work before. Use a new key and voila. There is also another problem with pontiacs. I have it w mine, and had it in the past with a grand am. There are two pins in the steering column. One of these will get loose. And then you can wiggle, well, really move your steering wheel diagonally. then all the stupid pieces that make up the ignition and high beam stuff goes haywire. You will pull the key, and the ignition will still be running. Dead battery. Once you tear into this about three or twelve times, you will figure out how it works, and be able to wiggle it correctly to get it to shut off. Or on. Doesn't sound like this is your problem. But, it's good info to have.
    yeah, the key is looking pretty old and worn out...but the weird thing about all this is, it only happens in the morning 2-3 times, then it doesnt do it the rest of the day until the next morning. its been like that for 2-3 weeks now. also when i cant get the key out , i cant lock the steering wheel...ive been noticing, when im sitting in the car waiting for the car with the door open to cough up my damn key, ill close the door, hear a slight click, then i can get my key out....

Blackened fire chicken

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Oh, and ditto on the ticket, on the way home from Vegas, az county sherriff. 84 in a 65. Just cruising along, 1800 rpm. $200
    i was doing 85 in a 70, but so was everyone else around me...he pulled me over cause i had tinted taillights and front windows, more to add on the ticket then the other "normal" cars around me going 90

Blackened fire chicken

update: well atleast i saved some money, it turned out to be my shifter wasn't going into park all the way and when i would turn the car off, the car thought that it wasn't in park, therefore the key would get stuck...im not really sure how i fixed it though, all i did was take the center console apart,played around with the shifter a bit, then put every thing back together, and its been working ever since then go figure...thanks for the help everyone

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Mine did that during the colder months. Try taking the key out of the ignition before you pull the parking brake. The locking pin engages when the brake is engaged.

Thread Information