Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

yellow
    2002 Collector Trans Am

Just picked up my first ls1 Now with pics!!!!

Hey guys my name is mike and I just picked up my first ls1 one car and I couldn’t be happier. So here is the story behind getting the car, I’m 20 a E5 in the navy stationed here in San Diego. I meet my fiancé and we wanted to get a project car, she love stingrays so I get a 75 that need some work. Well I got tired of always having a overheating problem with the car (They are notorious for it) and was looking to sale it. When I ran across an 2002 trans am collectors edition auto car. I’m not that big into autos but it has a built trans with a small stall. So I can live with that. I ended up doing a straight swap car for car. Right now it up in the air waiting to get the exhaust leaked fixed, the rotors turned and new tires. I think I should have it back together today so I can finally see what she's got in her. So guys I’m new to the world of ls1's. Growing up my buddies all ran ls1's, one had a turbo the other had nitrous so I’m well aware of what these cars can do, and these cars have always had a place in my heart. But my daily driver is a 07 gt mustang and I have always kind of been a ford guy. What should I look for on these cars, I mean I read they have ls6 intakes But what else should I look for and what breaks on these cars that I should be aware of?
    Last edited by excel_autoparts; 12-28-2008 at 08:18 PM.

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

Be prepared to replace window motors and from lower bulbs on a regular basis.....lol, just kidding, but true. These are great cars. Well worth the time to tinker with. You will get so much more out of mods then you will ever get on the stang. There are a couple stickies around here, to give you all the different codes and what they mean. Our cars come with 3 different sets of gears, so that might be a good one to look up. Since you have an auto, my frind changed the torque converter and he said it made all the difference in the world. I have an M6, so I wouldnt know.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by muteki View Post
    Since you have an auto, my frind changed the torque converter and he said it made all the difference in the world. I have an M6, so I wouldnt know.
    if you re-read he said it has a built trans with a different stall already.

OP watch out for the rear end, you being an auto its not as bad.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Get ready for the notorious 'no start' with the security light on.....lol.

Maddening.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

get ready for constant boners when u floor it

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    TRUE!!!

yellow
    2002 Collector Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by muteki View Post
    Be prepared to replace window motors and from lower bulbs on a regular basis.....lol, just kidding, but true. These are great cars. Well worth the time to tinker with. You will get so much more out of mods then you will ever get on the stang. There are a couple stickies around here, to give you all the different codes and what they mean. Our cars come with 3 different sets of gears, so that might be a good one to look up. Since you have an auto, my frind changed the torque converter and he said it made all the difference in the world. I have an M6, so I wouldnt know.
    Its funny you say that the windows bearly come up and down..... also whats a good mod to do next the car has a pedertor tune, and a lid thats about it

full tune up front to back /full exhaust/ p&p tb........... thats a good start!

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by excel_autoparts View Post
    Its funny you say that the windows bearly come up and down..... also whats a good mod to do next the car has a pedertor tune, and a lid thats about it
    Before you fix them, let me ask my friend about the link for the permenant fix for them. There is a website that claims to have the fix all for it. What ever you do, don't buy just regular aftermarket ones from Ebay. I bought some 'lifetime' ones.....after the first roll down, they died. So, I stuck with OEM so far until the next time I need one.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Just stay far away from SLP products. If/When you start buying stuff for your car, slap that thought of SLP out of your noggin. If your car stays SLP free, your golden.

yellow
    2002 Collector Trans Am

Whats wrong with slp?

Bright Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans AM

I bought my car with an SLP intake and exhaust, its ok but there are many higher quality products out there.

yellow
    2002 Collector Trans Am

I have another question, I have a Diablo Predator and i was messing around with it tonight, I think i put power enc. at like 5% and shifting pressure at 15% with like 3.5% of spark. It felt good but i would like to know what you guy that are running the same tuner have it set at , especially if it's dyno tuned.

black
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    x2.

I have another question, I have a Diablo Predator and i was messing around with it tonight, I think i put power enc. at like 5% and shifting pressure at 15% with like 3.5% of spark. It felt good but i would like to know what you guy that are running the same tuner have it set at , especially if it's dyno tuned.

IMO......handheld tuners are junk get a real tune

yellow
    2002 Collector Trans Am

Ya i need to take it down to JBA to get a tune. I just leave for deployment in 2 weeks

Ya i need to take it down to JBA to get a tune. I just leave for deployment in 2 weeks
    good luck with deployment

yellow
    2002 Collector Trans Am

Well I took her out to clean her up and took some pics. I have to say that this guy did a great job of trashing the car…. When i got it, it had been in a fender bender right at the corner of the finder, bumper and headlight on the driver’s side. I had a new finder and put in all new head light and tried to reshape the bumper that was on it. It came out ok. the brakes where shot. I have no idea when he did a oil change last it. I think a wheel bearing my be going out.. I hope it’s just a rear rotor. The tires were worn down to the radial. The cat had a weld busted 360 degrees around. The exhaust as a whole is all beat up and I’m sure it has more leaks just haven’t had the time to fully check it out. But I’m trying to square the car away

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Good luck on your deployment. Where are they sending you? I spent 13 Months in Iraq. Good luck with the car. It looks good from the pics. You will love it if you have the funds to properly mod it. I have spent a whole bunch on mine.

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

Looks sweet....and Im talking about the ride....both of them...hahaha, just teasing. Have a safe deployment. The ride is kick @ss!!!! Just needs the TLC!

Thread Information