Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

Just bought my first Trans Am, think I made a good choice!

Hello all, I am a new poster to the forums and was hoping to get some input on my recent purchase and maybe some advice. I had a 1986 Camaro Z28 back in 1989 as a teen, but that didn't last long, thanks to three tickets in a short period of time and my Dad jerking it out from under me.

Anyway, my son works at a dealership and they took this car in on trade and I think it was a great deal. Had it checked out by a friend of mine that has owned his own full service automotive shop for 22 years and he said the car was as perfect as it can be for a 12 year old car.

2002 Trans Am, LS1, Volant Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Catback exhaust, corvette wheels, Bridgestone Potenza tires, automatic, T-tops, 67K miles. I paid $7,500 for it +TT&L, so about $8,100 out the door.

It has been a while since I have had a performance car and this thing runs like a scalded dog, yet is smooth as can be, tight as a button and no play whatsoever in the steering.

I am under no illusions that I stole the car, but I think I got a great car for the money. Now I am wondering what, if anything I can do to it to maybe give it a bit of a boost, without costing an arm and a leg and devaluing or risking damage to it.

Would post a pic, but I guess since I am new, the site will not let me.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

Here is a pic right after I got it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Welcome and nice purchase. Looks clean so far.

You asked about mods....well you'll get a ton of suggestions.

What you need to ask is what you want to do with it.

You have several options. DD, track, street & show. Each have pros and cons and can be combine. Some go well with another while some can be done but it comes down to how much you want to spend.

I highly suggest for the first year just driving it as is and get a feel for it. Make notes of what you like and don't like. This will give you time to figure out what you like and if anything needs to be done.

We have several sections here that have very useful info on repairs and mods. Take your time to look over.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Welcome and nice purchase. Looks clean so far.

You asked about mods....well you'll get a ton of suggestions.

What you need to ask is what you want to do with it.

You have several options. DD, track, street & show. Each have pros and cons and can be combine. Some go well with another while some can be done but it comes down to how much you want to spend.

I highly suggest for the first year just driving it as is and get a feel for it. Make notes of what you like and don't like. This will give you time to figure out what you like and if anything needs to be done.

We have several sections here that have very useful info on repairs and mods. Take your time to look over.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do plan on driving it a while, before spending any money on it. It really doesn't "need" anything right now, except for window tint and floor mats. :-)

It was well maintained and I will continue doing so for it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site!

Congrats on the purchase -- looks like a nice clean car that has been well cared for.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Wow Cory....

You got that for a good price and in the right color too!!!
    Last edited by speedyWS6; 10-07-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Welcome to the site, and again, congrats! You scored on that deal

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Welcome to the site, and again, congrats! You scored on that deal
    Thanks, this site is amazing. Granted, I am admittedly a new inductee into the TA world, I am already sold; hook, line and sinker. I am really impressed with how smooth and tight this car is for a 12, almost 13 year old car. There is absolutely zero play in the steering wheel and it hugs corners like I would hug a pair of DD's.

I also had a 2011 Dodge Challenger R/T with a 5.7L Hemi and this TA will smoke it. Granted the Challenger is one heavy SOB. Anyway, the way the TA handles, drives and rides just makes it one fun car to drive.

Thanks again, look forward to learning a bit about this car, I am no mechanic, but I do like to know what I drive.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

Just bought my first Trans Am, think I made a good choice!

first do sub frame connectors...best mod I've ever done hands down. upgrade rear end to 4.10 or 4.11, under drive pulley, headers, intake and TB...you'd be very happy with the outcome
    98' Trans AM RIP

00' WS6/Black/Pacesetter LT's/Magnaflow Exhaust/SLP lid/Nick Williams 92mm TB/FAST 92 Intake/BMR Strut Tower Brace/BMR Rear LCA's/BMR Panhard Bar

Epoxy Block atm
    '68 Firebird LS1

Great looking car, Cory! Good price, as well Congrats and welcome back to the world of fbodies!

black
    2002 ws6 t/a

I too just bought a 2002 WS6, with 38k miles on it. Has no mods, super clean car. Got mine for $10,000. Ive owned a 78 t/a and a few camaros but this by far my fav.

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

Awesome looking car Cory!! Love the color!! I agree with 1998 T/A, Go with Sub-Frame connectors first!! Every thing else is up to you and subject to opinion.
    Welcome to the site too

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by craymer View Post
    Thanks, this site is amazing. Granted, I am admittedly a new inductee into the TA world, I am already sold; hook, line and sinker. I am really impressed with how smooth and tight this car is for a 12, almost 13 year old car. There is absolutely zero play in the steering wheel and it hugs corners like I would hug a pair of DD's.

I also had a 2011 Dodge Challenger R/T with a 5.7L Hemi and this TA will smoke it. Granted the Challenger is one heavy SOB. Anyway, the way the TA handles, drives and rides just makes it one fun car to drive.

Thanks again, look forward to learning a bit about this car, I am no mechanic, but I do like to know what I drive.
    I have some friends who have hemi Chryslers, they always talk about how quick they are. And those cars are, but not as quick as the fourth gen LS1 cars. Sometimes they need a ride in Too Fast to prove it. Imagine how quick the Challenger would be with the stock 5.7 Hemi, 6 speed, and it weighed about 3500 lbs instead of 4200.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by craymer View Post

I have some friends who have hemi Chryslers, they always talk about how quick they are. And those cars are, but not as quick as the fourth gen LS1 cars. Sometimes they need a ride in Too Fast to prove it. Imagine how quick the Challenger would be with the stock 5.7 Hemi, 6 speed, and it weighed about 3500 lbs instead of 4200.
    This 5.7 hemi is pretty bland...the 470hp 6.4 is not lol I pick on the R/T's all the time but the newer SRT can hurt some feelings...especially if they are modded.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Black
    2012 Charger SRT8

Quote Originally Posted by Nutball View Post
    Awesome looking car Cory!! Love the color!! I agree with 1998 T/A, Go with Sub-Frame connectors first!! Every thing else is up to you and subject to opinion.
    Welcome to the site too
    +1 Subframes should always be the first mod. Okay.. maybe the headlight upgrade first since the headlights suck hands down. Don't like driving blind at night.

I just bought another WS6 this week. Just bought a mint 2002 WS6 TA which was 100% stock. Car hasn't been delivered yet and I have already bought a HID headlight conversion and LED fog light bulbs. I'll pick up subframes shortly after.
    2002 Trans Am WS6
    2012 Charger SRT8 *Sold*
    1999 Dodge Viper GTS *Sold*
    2004 Viper SRT10 *Sold*
    2007 Corvette Z06 S/C *Sold*
    1970 Mustang Mach 1 *Sold*
    2008 GT500 *Sold*

Red
    99 Z28

Welcome and looks like you got a great deal

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Congrats, and welcome to (IMO) one of the best cars ever made. You def got a good deal on that car. There are only about 1,000,000 dif things that your gonna want to do to that car. This is 1 of the best places to do your research and find out what is the best bang for the buck.The advantage is you can receive the benefits from other people's mistakes and fortunes.

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Good job Cory!

Thread Information