Red
    02 Trans Am WS.6 (A4)

Intake TB ROcker help!!!!

ok heres the thing, im wanting to keep the stock cam for now but i am really wanting to get a new intake manifold and TB and a new MAF sensor. I was looking at the FAST 92mm manifold and TB. Any comments or anything better or what not. Also i am wanting to change to hydraulic lifters and roller rockers changing all the rods and everything. Was looking at the crane cams setup it was like 1.7 something, im not real sure what go with......any input or help would be greatly appreciated....thanks

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Im assuming that youre talking about the ls1 since youre refering to the FAST manifold, but these motors already have hydraulic roller lifters, and they cant be acessed by removing the intake manifold, you have to remove the heads to get to them, so you might as well do a heads and cam swap while youre in there. But in all seriousness, all those parts will net you minimal gains since theryre designed to flow a shit ton of air, but theyll be limited to the amount of airflow they can move by youre stock cam and heads. If im not mistaken, those FAST manifolds are pretty pricey, and for the same amount of money if not less, you can do a cam swap and probably make more power than with all the aforementioned stuff. Dont get me wrong, you will make more power with them over stock, but theyre not being used to theyre full potential. I dont know youre mods, but i would suggest basic boltons like headers, lid, exhaust, tune, and that in itself will make a world of difference. Hopefully someone else will chime in to help you out with some of youre other specific questions, im still in the bolton stage myself! Hope this helps.
    Yulian
    Last edited by RAWPWR3; 08-25-2008 at 08:02 AM.

'01 M.R.M. TA A4:
    Bolt on's, suspension

'02 C.E.T.A. WS6 M6:
    Stock

Red
    02 Trans Am WS.6 (A4)

yeah im talking the ls1....i have lid long tube headers ORY, no tune yet. So if the motor has hydraulic lifters already what about doing roller rockers....also the intake and throtle body as well as the MAF sensor......i want to change cam sooner or later but i was just looking for something fairly easy to change out that would give me some decent gains..i am really considering the 92mm TB and the 92mm manifold....any sugestiuons about brands or what not???

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Using stock ratio roller rockers probably wont net you as much of a gain as say some 1.8 ratio roller rockers, cause the higher ratio on the 1.8's gives you more valve lift. You should probably change youre springs too if you go with 1.8's cause of the increased lift, and i dont think you should have any piston to valve clearance issues with those, but double check anyways. Just check out summit for brands and prices, you could go with harland sharp or crane cams and prices range from 400 for harland or 730 for crane. For that amount you should just do a cam, but then again i guess its easier to just swap in rockers than do a whole cam swap. Seeing as you have an 02, you already got the ls6 manifold which flows pretty good, but if youre set on buying another then i would recomend the FAST manifold and TB. Also leave youre stock MAF in, dont buy an 85mm! Trust me, i learned the hard way and spent the money, only to find out its not that great. Take a look at this to see why the 85mm maf isnt worth it.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95436
    Last edited by RAWPWR3; 08-26-2008 at 07:00 PM.

Red
    02 Trans Am WS.6 (A4)

i wasnt sure about the MAF sensor, but i would like to get either the fast or the ls6 manifold and TB to let it flow better. I dont really have the time or money to do a head/cam swap so i was just thinking of fairly easy mods that i could do that would get me some decent gains. Plus im really trying to stick with all motor for now and stay away from spray and forced induction. On the crane site it says with just changing out the rods and rockers you can gain up to 20 hp, now i dont know if thats at athe crank or at the wheels. To me that sounded like an easy way to gain 20 hp. Again im kinda new the this stuff especially the ls1

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

LEAVE THE MAF ALONE!!!

You already have the LS6 intake, stick with that.
    Get your TB ported, and be done.
    Don't worry about rocker arms....up to 20HP is for a car that has an aftermarket cam. Stock the LS1 has pretty good 1.7 ratio rockers.

You are looking at a cam as the next power mod.
    Consider suspension?
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

^^ What he said. Or if you want, use the money you had saved for the intake and rockers and get it tuned.

Thread Information