Thread: Intake cutouts

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 T/A A4

Intake cutouts

I have the SLP hood on my bird and i dont like all the baffels. But it rains and snows through the year. So I was thinking of some ram air doors like the old school pontiacs have. My question now is, what's the best way of fabbing some up? I just want black flaps that seal shut at the flip of a switch or a pull of a cable.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i think your air filter should do a pretty good job at preventing anything from getting in, man. Those baffles are there for sound deadening.

Pewter
    2000 WS6 A4

First off I would NOT trust my air filter to keep water out of my engine. (Ever hear of hydrolock???) Second the baffles he is talking about are in the hood, not the air box. So they are NOT for sound deadening.

Truth be known, you aren't going to pick up much if any HP with this mod. If you do a search there are many people out there that have just removed their baffles... Good Luck

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

I removed mine, but I am not in a climate where you need them. It rains, snows, sleets and hails up there in boise. So I wouldnt remove them if I were you. No need.

[QUOTE=third_shift|studios;567645]i think your air filter should do a pretty good job at preventing anything from getting in, man. Those baffles are there for sound deadening.[/QUOTE]

+1

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

Its on the damn hood. The "baffles" that you are talking about are in the intake itself. They are called bellows. The hood helps to keep rain, snow, sleet and hail out of the air system. The filter is able to keep out dubris, and some water. But not all of it. How do you think that you get a water slug in the engine when you hit a puddle or something. It goes right up through the filter and...well you know what happens. KEEP THEM IN. There is no benefit to taking them out. Only setting yourself up for failure. Dont do it
    Last edited by jwindbigler; 01-26-2007 at 01:55 PM.

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

A K&N type filter that's properly oiled will keep out any minor amount of water that may get to the intake through the hood vents. You need a really good gulp of water to hydro lock an engine.

I had a GTP that I installed a water injection kit on years ago to combat a modified supercharger (helps keep temps down). The water jets were installed between the TB and SC and sprayed water every time I hit anything over 3.5lbs of boost. I had the kit on the car for over 110K miles. I sold the car with 190K miles on her and the SC and cylinders were very clean. A little bit of ocassional water is not going to hurt anything.

Pewter
    2000 WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by nytmare View Post
    A K&N type filter that's properly oiled will keep out any minor amount of water that may get to the intake through the hood vents. You need a really good gulp of water to hydro lock an engine.

I had a GTP that I installed a water injection kit on years ago to combat a modified supercharger (helps keep temps down). The water jets were installed between the TB and SC and sprayed water every time I hit anything over 3.5lbs of boost. I had the kit on the car for over 110K miles. I sold the car with 190K miles on her and the SC and cylinders were very clean. A little bit of ocassional water is not going to hurt anything.
    You are talking about an atomized mist of water. The last time I was on the interstate when it was raining like hell, the massive waves of water coming off the semi's was not a fine mist, nor was it a small amount.

Just my .02, But if you are going to gain nothing, why risk your engine...

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

Quote Originally Posted by Thorazine Shuffle View Post
    You are talking about an atomized mist of water. The last time I was on the interstate when it was raining like hell, the massive waves of water coming off the semi's was not a fine mist, nor was it a small amount.

Ditto

Black
    2000 Pontiac Formula

Werd

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Thorazine Shuffle View Post

Granted... I'm not an engineer and can't provide any test data. But I've had the baffles out of my hood for a couple years and have not had a problem. The car's a DD and I travel 60 miles round trip everyday on I95 in all kinds of traffic. If it was going to be a problem, it would have by now.

For the record, I have a Volant intake with two cone K&Ns. They're cleaned and oiled on a regular basis. The additional air has made a difference in the way the throttle responds at speed.

Thread Information