Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

insurance prices.

well guys heres my story, i had a 1999 V6 Firebird when we switched insurance to Texas Farm Bureau. Price: $135/mo. in April i bought my 1998 T/A, called them up BEFORE i bought it, Price: $140/mo. and thats what i've been paying. now they have 'revaluated' for this year and the new price per month is a grand spankin' $550. not sure what i can do... i'm on my dads policy and we are all fighting for fairness.

any suggestions you guys?

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

thats what i get quoted for insurance all the time. i pay like 1200 every six months, for full coverage, but i went with a shitty shitty shitty company. i guess thats the risk im taking to save the money. (also, im 20, i hear first cut in payments is 21, and i got one speeding ticket)

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

$550 a MONTH!? does your TA have two wheels or something!? man oh man.
    have you been in any accidents or have a lot of tickets?
    i pay $94/month on mine.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by tep98ws6 View Post
    $550 a MONTH!? does your TA have two wheels or something!? man oh man.
    have you been in any accidents or have a lot of tickets?
    i pay $94/month on mine.
    no way. 100% clean records. nothing has changed between now and April. its bull. so i'm looking for a way around it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like the price of being 18 years old to me. You can shop around, but one benefit of staying on the family policy is stacked coverages (if your father has that). I always tell people they need to have underinsured and uninsured coverage as that is what protects you. Liability only takes care of the other driver. There are way to many asshats out there driving around texting on their cell phones with little or no coverage.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Sounds like the price of being 18 years old to me. You can shop around, but one benefit of staying on the family policy is stacked coverages (if your father has that). I always tell people they need to have underinsured and uninsured coverage as that is what protects you. Liability only takes care of the other driver. There are way to many asshats out there driving around texting on their cell phones with little or no coverage.
    the problem is that i have been paying $140/mo for the T/A, and they have now decided to skyrocket the price for no particular reason. Its completely unfair. and yes i'm trying to stay away from liability only buut..

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    the problem is that i have been paying $140/mo for the T/A, and they have now decided to skyrocket the price for no particular reason. Its completely unfair. and yes i'm trying to stay away from liability only buut..

I wonder if they entered the T/A wrong on your original policy. That is a hell of jump for basically the same car and no change in coverage.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I wonder if they entered the T/A wrong on your original policy. That is a hell of jump for basically the same car and no change in coverage.
    not possible, they use the VIN, and i specifically told them it was a V8 to clarify...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

$550/month? DAYUM!

Ins co--><--You

And I thought I was getting shafted having to pay $420 every 6 months for full coverage on 2 Z28's.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I have never, ever heard of 550 a month. I would switch personally. I had State Farm, switched to a local place and saved a bunch. I know people with DUI's and speeding tickets up the arse, and they're not close to 550 a month.

I see two options for you. Sell the car(who can afford 550 a month in INSURANCE?) Or, go to a different insurance company.

550 a month is crazy.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

I was under my parents policy with progressive and wanted a quote for my own and they wanted 170 a month and I have a clean driving record. Called geico and they told me they had new low rates for the state of GA and full coverage would be 70.00 a month with towing and I couldnt believe it. And Im only 24

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    I have never, ever heard of 550 a month. I would switch personally. I had State Farm, switched to a local place and saved a bunch. I know people with DUI's and speeding tickets up the arse, and they're not close to 550 a month.

I see two options for you. Sell the car(who can afford 550 a month in INSURANCE?) Or, go to a different insurance company.

550 a month is crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by nmartin View Post
    I was under my parents policy with progressive and wanted a quote for my own and they wanted 170 a month and I have a clean driving record. Called geico and they told me they had new low rates for the state of GA and full coverage would be 70.00 a month with towing and I couldnt believe it. And Im only 24
    thanks guys for the info.. really helps

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans am ws6

dang that sucks. i have geico and pay 80 bucks for my 2000 ws6 full coverage 250 deductible. call geico see what you can get

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    now they have 'revaluated' for this year and the new price per month is a grand spankin' $550.
    I think they are trying to scare you away because they don't wanna cover you.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post

550 a month is crazy.
    I got into trouble with my first bird and when I bought my 01 ws6 they did the same bs to me. they quote off of the base model then run the vin. the end result for me was $786.00 a month for full coverage + $390.00 a month for the car. I could just barly afford to maintain the car, and I could only realy drive to work. This went on for 5 years with the insurance cost dropping every year. now they get $167.00 a month

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

i was quoted 868 for full coverage low deductibles in ohio

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS-6 M6

my insurance was going to be close to that if i put it in my name but thats because i havent had insurance on a car in 8 years(suspended license) and when your starting fresh i guess insurance is hella expensive. So i talked my father into putting the car under his policy and just make me an occasional driver. its now only like $260 for 6 months.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

I'm 18, and have an at-fault accident on my record from two years ago. No tickets though, as I fought and won both that I got.

I'm "only" paying about $250/month. I have better than basic insurance on it too.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Wow, sucks to be you guys

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Switch.

I have AAA, so I overpay for insurance for being a "member" and I'm only paying $1100 a year (I think) for broad coverage with a low deductable and free loaner.

Free towing comes with it, no spare tire needed!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information