Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance Claim

Black
    2001 WS6 Trans-Am

Angry Insurance Claim

I was in Tampa this past weekend, and somebody hit me while I was parked in a parking lot. The person must've ran, but it looks like it was a truck by the damage done. I will post pics when I figure out photobucket. But it scraped my passanger side tail light, my whole passenger-side quarter panel is crushed in, and my bumper on that side is also smashed and scraped.

It still runs fine, and the power antenna even works as it should.

My friend said around $5k. Does that sound right considering all new GM parts + labor + paint?

Black
    2001 WS6 Trans-Am

Anybody familiar with replacing the rear fenders?

Yea to place a new or used Quater panel on you have to cut the old one off and weld on the new one , if you dont do this for a living bring it to a shop to have done , they will most likly say to R & R Quater with LKQ , that is used parts if you see LKQ ,can also stand for after market did the do any damage to the door ? rear hatch ?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

looks like the hatch is in tact. $5000 i think not. maybe $2000. They'll beat the rear quarter back into position, bondo the rest of it and replace the bumper/light.

Black
    2001 WS6 Trans-Am

No damage done to the door or hatch. Just the bumper and fender panel, and some scratches to the taillight. Some estimates I got today.

Bumper Cover : $502.66
    RT Tail lamp assy: $293.83
    RT Quarter Panel: $751.67

With paint and labor and all that, the average of the 3 estimates I got comes to $3100.00

The one shop said it's very difficult to replace the quarter panel, because if you don't know what you're doing, you can break the "roof panel"? Something about epoxy and fiberglass, and it's a delicate procedure.

they might be able to save it but looks very wasted in the pic but with enough Bondo you can fill anything in lol or use fiberglass filler as well looks from the pic you might be better have the pay to replace it and ask the shop to save it

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Black 2002 Trans Am WS6

Wow, that sucks!!
    Black 02 Trans Am WS6 M6 SLP Lid, Bassani Stainless Headers & Y-Pipe w/o Cats, Borla Exhaust, BMR-STB, LCAs & Reloc. Brackets, Panhard Bar, & SFCs, Eibach Pro-kit With Bilsteins, BF Goodrich G Force KDWs, Optima Yellow Top, 5% Tint, Blackouts, Clear Side Lights, H-7 Headlights much more to come!

black trans am

take it to a good shop and idk what the one shop was talking about brekaing a roof or what ever about fiberglass the only parts on our car made of fiberglass is the hood if u have a ws6 the inner door panles and the trunk lid ever thing else is poly or steel

Black
    2001 WS6 Trans-Am

One of the body shops I got an estimate from said they could do it for $874.41 with a military discount. Of course, that's with repairing the bumper and panel. Anybody have much experience with body work? Judging by the pictures, could they be repaired and restored to a reasonable quality? Or would I be better off getting everything replaced.

Of course I'd be better off getting everything replaced, but the cost is a huge difference.

Black
    2001 WS6 Trans-Am

So what do you people think? The insurance company is paying me their estimate regardless. So do I get it fixed on the cheap and just repair the pieces and spend the extra money on some headers? Or do I get everything replaced with OEM parts and pay the $500 deductible? What would you guys do?

The insurance companies estimate is $2800. I could get it fixed for around $800 and have $2k left over for fun money.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

figure it this way...if all it's gonna cost you is $500 go to the most reputable shop in the area. Ask around on local boards etc, talk to local tuning shops too...don't be pacifist about your car.

Yes, i believe fully well that the 800$ shop can fix your rear quarter just by using what's still there-no reason to cut it out and weld in a new one, that'll fuck up the integrety of the panel.

replace the rear bumper though-that's plastic and can't come back-they make em plastic incase you bump something at a low speed, it'll bend not break-if you get it repaired [not replaced] and bump something-you'll just have to replace it then.

Senior Member transamprincess98's Avatar
    CT6

OK from the pictures what I can see the quarter looks like it can be repaired AFTER a pull. It does look like about $3500 in damage without replacing the quarter. It's very tough to tell from the pics though.

BTW if someone is going to fix that for $800 it's going to be a shit hack job, but it's your car

Senior Member transamprincess98's Avatar
    CT6

No insurance company writes for OEM right away unless it's a current model year car.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by transamprincess98 View Post
    No insurance company writes for OEM right away unless it's a current model year car.
    but fight them fuckers for it... you pay all that money all damn year long for when this happens... make sure you get the parts you want and not what they want to give you...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

also if you're going through you insurance company you only need to pay the deductable...

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

im a littal anal about my ta so i would take it to the best shop you can. you ins. comp. sould pay what the estamet you get is but i dont know you brand i have progessive and thats how it wint with me after my deer. it didnt look bad but it still came up to almost 3000. and you inser. sould pay for oem parts after your body shop calls 2 or 3 places to see if that have used parts and good luck finding one that still has parts on it, around me its hard to find any. good luck let us know what you do and how it turns out.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    and you inser. sould pay for oem parts after your body shop calls 2 or 3 places to see if that have used parts and good luck finding one that still has parts on it, around me its hard to find any. good luck let us know what you do and how it turns out.
    i'd not allow that... when it comes to repairs used parts don't go on my car... i pay them bastards not to use thier company and then when i need to my rates go up??? fuck them... i'll make sure i get NEW and shiny expensive parts...

Pewter metallic
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

just got out of a accident. took it to the dealer to have it repaired (stupid me) replaced 1 fender, control arm, stabilizer bar, k-member,2 rims,paint,alignment,labor total came out to $8,000.00. o well i just paid my $1000.00 deductible and insurance took care of the rest. Thanks Farmers

sometime you are better off with a USED Quarter .why , it has paint on it and has be treated for RUST from the factory, now the person has to take it off the right way and need to be a clean quater NO DENTS I had a 94 TA that need a Quater , bumper and hatch in 98 they wanted to total it out because i ask for new parts and they wanted to give after markets parts I told them i will pay my bill with After market money monopoly money if they wanted then i was like ok if youtotal this out I dont want the money i want youto replace the whole car LOL i had about 20 thousand miles well to make a long storty come to the end they replaced everything with New OEM parts at my friends shop yea i did do some work in the body end but never really liked it dealing with insurance compny saying it really does not need that does it or not enough money for the work they want you to do

but Yes find a shop that you like and you just have to pay your 500 go back and check on there work as they are working on it if the y pay you for a new quater , you might find a shop that will work with you and try to save some of that money as well

Thread Information