Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    2000 Pontiac TransAm WS6

Injection Cleaner

My car is reading off some codes after taking it to Autozone and they said it might be the MAF i figure i might check with my mechanic before purchasing a new one. He said the first thing to do is to do an injection cleaner and is charging me 120.00, is that fair. Would i be better off taking it to someone else or possibly doing it myself. I dont mind paying the 120.00, but i already have to pay him 713.00 to get my AC fixed and im currently a full time student so i dont have much money. I would appreciate some advice.

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by edrvsqz1980 View Post
    My car is reading off some codes after taking it to Autozone and they said it might be the MAF i figure i might check with my mechanic before purchasing a new one. He said the first thing to do is to do an injection cleaner and is charging me 120.00, is that fair. Would i be better off taking it to someone else or possibly doing it myself. I dont mind paying the 120.00, but i already have to pay him 713.00 to get my AC fixed and im currently a full time student so i dont have much money. I would appreciate some advice.
    hell no thats not fair! buy a bottle of injector cleaner and do it yourself man! youll save $100! if you maf is bad, get an slp maf

Red
    2000 Pontiac TransAm WS6

Would i be able to purchase it at autozone? Any brand recommendation.

Yellow
    02 CETA#732

Thumbs down

I agree with godless-phoenix, those $100+ cleaning services are usually unnecessary, I've had good results from Chevron's Techron cleaner in a bottle, kind of pricey at $11 each and best to use it twice back-to-back, but made noticable improvement and exhaust tips even showed that it appeared to be blowing-out some carbon.

Yellow
    02 CETA#732

Also I think the codes should be able to identify specifically if it's maf failure or not.
    Can also buy maf cleaner and CAREFULLY clean maf + throttle body while you're at it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

+1 CRC MAF cleaner and Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner.

What are the codes? Have you replaced your fuel filter lately?

Blackened fire chicken

Quote Originally Posted by jagfan93 View Post
    I agree with godless-phoenix, those $100+ cleaning services are usually unnecessary, I've had good results from Chevron's Techron cleaner in a bottle, kind of pricey at $11 each and best to use it twice back-to-back, but made noticable improvement and exhaust tips even showed that it appeared to be blowing-out some carbon.
    i agree, chevron's techron, i personally use lucas fuel injector cleaner, but techron works really good too ;P

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

What codes?
    A $120 fuel injection cleaning service is considerable different then just pouring some "mechanic in a bottle" into the gas tank. However, if you are having a problem with the MAF, then neither one of those injection cleanings will help you.
    STAY AWAY FROM THE SLP MAF!

WS6 Black Convertible
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by jagfan93 View Post
    I like Techron also. I use it periodically in the TA, Caddy and sometimes in the old truck. I also use Shell gas 95% of the time. Not sure if it helps to keep the injectors clean, but the wife loves it in her Caddy.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    What codes?
    A $120 fuel injection cleaning service is considerable different then just pouring some "mechanic in a bottle" into the gas tank. However, if you are having a problem with the MAF, then neither one of those injection cleanings will help you.
    This.....and CRC the stock MAF..

To add: injector cleaners are "dry" cleaners and may do more damage than good. Try 2cycle. You'll have to check Sarges threads for the specifics...
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-25-2010 at 03:59 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

2002 Arctic White T/A Ws6islife's Avatar

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

why not try to clean the maf sensor first?

Blackened fire chicken

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    What codes?
    whats wrong with the slp maf?

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

well alot of people belive that stock or aftermarket, polished or not its a maf sensor. why spend your money on a slp maf sensor when the stock one does the same thing.

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

what gains does a car really obtain from a maf sensor swap?

Blackened fire chicken

Quote Originally Posted by Ws6islife View Post
    what gains does a car really obtain from a maf sensor swap?
    well, it fits with the slp airlid better then the stock maf...the slp maf proly gets 5 h.p. more AT THE MOST than the stock imo, so those are the only 2 gains i can think of using the slp

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by godless-phoenix View Post
    well, it fits with the slp airlid better then the stock maf...the slp maf proly gets 5 h.p. more AT THE MOST than the stock imo, so those are the only 2 gains i can think of using the slp
    The gain you feel from the slp maf is your car running leaner.
    Mine ran ok at first then it started throwing codes for lean conditions.
    swaped back to the stocker (good to about 500 hp) no more problem.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The stock MAF is good up until around the 500 h.p. level. Modifications to the stock MAF are not recommended as it throws off the cars fueling. De-blading, de-screening or porting the MAF simply alter it's flow characteristics and leans out the air/fuel ratio. Essentially, the engine is now receiving more air than is being measured.

By way of real world example, our car had an off idle stumble around 1,500 r.p.m. when we first bought it. I couldn't find anything wrong until I removed the air lid and saw that the MAF had been de-bladed, de-screened and ported (badly). I ordered a stock replacement MAF from GM Parts Direct and installed it on the car -- problem solved.

Aftermarket MAFs are fine, so long as the PCM is recalibrated for them. They simply have different flow characteristics than the stock unit and unless the PCM has been updated, it has no idea what is actually plugged into the MAF harness. Simply bolting an aftermarket MAF onto our cars will have an adverse affect on fueling, generally by leaning out the engine. Both our resident tuner, Frost, and noted GM calibrator, Greg Banish, have espoused the above many times.

Blackened fire chicken

i have an slp maf with a diablo tune (other mods), and my car runs great

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

With a tune, the SLP MAF is ok. But the stock MAF isn't a horsepower restriction so changing it is almost pointless.
    The SLP MAF's output is different from the stock MAF so the majority of the time the MAF calibration has to be retuned in the PCM. Without it, most SLP MAF users report bogging, stumbles, and lean trouble codes/SES lights. Do a search on here, you'll find tons of negatives for the SLP MAF with a few positives sprinkled in

It has a big wing!

You have to go in order on this man:

1. Is your car in a good state of tune? All plugs,wires,filters,fuel pressure..etc.. are as they should be?

2. What exactly are the codes and what is the car doing as far as symptoms?

3. You must go step by step with a little patience or you will find yourself tossing parts and cash at a problem blindly,mechanics taking you for every last cent and you will quickly lose your cool about the whole problem.

Good luck!
    1999 Firehawk Trans Am #530

Thread Information