Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I'm so impatient

Yet also highly cautious. My savings are coming along nicely but given recent developments ($4.09 for prem by me) I was wondering how much of a hit the values of firebirds would take. I can see them coming down already and I can only assume the higher the numbers at the pump go the lower the price of a nice bird will become.

I guess the first question here would be, what should I expect to pay for a 2001-2 T/A WS6 M6 within the next two months or so?

My other question is..... are these things delicate? I currently drive a 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC with something like 310 at the crank. I bought it 5 years ago with 126,000 miles on it and have driven it kind of like i stole it ever since. The car now has 164,000 on it and has never once broken anything as a result of my driving, it doesn't even burn oil! Even the famously weak ford tranny has stuck by me through all of this. From reading the forums here I almost feel like I may be flipping a coin every time i mash the loud pedal in a T/A. Although I fully intend to keep the Lincoln if I do buy a bird, I intend to make the bird the primary driven vehicle taking the lincoln out when i need the extra luxury or room for friends, cargo etc. or if i just don't feel like rowing gears. Will I be spending more time under my bird than in it though? especially if i drive it like the lincoln?

You guys all have tons more experience with these cars than I do. In fact I've still never even test driven or taken a ride in one yet. I just fell in love with the 00+ WS6 back when i used to see one every day and now feel like i should be buying one! So enlighten me please!

Awaiting Activation

black
    2002 Trans Am

I'll try to help you here....

First, I don't know if the value is going down too much. I look on ebay now and then, and although it seems there are fewer Trans Ams listed, the prices seem to be gradually going up.

Second, I think these things seem to be built tough. I've heard the stock rear end is kind of delicate if you dump the clutch a lot, as in hard launches at the race track. But, I don't dump the clutch, do burn outs, or take mine to the track, so, that's not an issue with me.

I drive a buick park avenue as my dd/family car, so difference is night and day between the two. I still like the buick, but the TA is a blast.

One word of caution: if you test drive a Trans Am, be prepared for instant addiction. When I test drove mine, I bought it on the spot. I've NEVER done that when looking at a car, but I did it with this one!

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I'll try to help you here....

First, I don't know if the value is going down too much. I look on ebay now and then, and although it seems there are fewer Trans Ams listed, the prices seem to be gradually going up.

Second, I think these things seem to be built tough. I've heard the stock rear end is kind of delicate if you dump the clutch a lot, as in hard launches at the race track. But, I don't dump the clutch, do burn outs, or take mine to the track, so, that's not an issue with me.

I drive a buick park avenue as my dd/family car, so difference is night and day between the two. I still like the buick, but the TA is a blast.

One word of caution: if you test drive a Trans Am, be prepared for instant addiction. When I test drove mine, I bought it on the spot. I've NEVER done that when looking at a car, but I did it with this one!
    well said especially the last part. I test drove the camaro and went back afte 30 minutes of driving it around I was addicted and never turned back. aside from buying my gf a lexus ls400 ( I drove a trd camry before the camaro)

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I have done some bit of analysis of the prices on ebay and when you really look into it people have been asking more and more, which is common for summer months, but getting less and less. as it stands now cars that meet my criteria of being 99-02 manual trans sell fewer than 3 out of 15 on ebay when looking at completed auctions and that is not counting ones that "sell" only to be relisted meaning the real number of cars that actually find buyers at the current prices is even fewer. I really think that fuel prices are killing the market for V8's in general collectible or not. My father has a 1992 Mark VII LSC on ebay right now 2,000 or best offer. the car is as close to perfect as a 16 year old daily driver can be. it was repainted and still shines like factory fresh all the plastic like the headlights had been replaced.... Even all the chrome is new. he hasn't gotten an offer anywhere near 2,000 yet after over a week on ebay.

My "Gut" tells me that a fair value for what I'm looking for would be somewhere in the 10-12,500 range. this is considering that many sub 70k mile 00+ WS6's never even get bid over 13,000 (reserve never met of course). So the reason I ask here is to determine what the community feels about values like these when the book value is obviously much greater. I too feel the hit knowing that book for my car is close to 6k but i'd be lucky if i got 2k even if it weren't damaged.

As for the durability I'm glad to hear the cars are solid so long as you aren't causing lung cancer in nearby pedestrians I wouldn't be the type to dump the clutch from a stopsign every block and spend several thousand in tires per year. I tend to just like the music of the engine when you jump on it from a 40-50 roll on the highway and scare nearby honduhs. of course when the urge hits me i'd still like to partake in some shenanigans once in a while so i'm glad to know that so long as i'm not dumping on the rear i should be ok.

Bit of a long post but one more aside. My sister recently bought a 99 Ford ZX2, are we seeing a family trend yet lol. she paid 1,500 for it with under 100k on the odo. book for her model and options came to over 3k. i tease her that she should just crash it and trade up

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

a car is worth what you're willing to pay for it. I think the dealers will be happy to play pricing games with you for a few grand, but like JohnB said-some people are willing to buy em on the spot and they know that. I saw 2 trans ams in 2 different car lots near by. They were there for 3 weeks each.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I must say I totally agree. There are of course limitations to that rule. I'd be willing to pay 15,000 for a CL65 AMG. I would NEVER get it for that price. lol. Maybe a more aprropriate question would be not what a "fair" value is but what do you guys percieve to be the "floor" on WS6 prices. I've heard of people getting their hands on them for less than 10k but something makes me feel like the really good ones aren't in that range. Being that i want it as a dd I'd prefer one with somewhat lower mileage and lack of abuse. Also being somewhat unmolested on the mechanicals is a plus. thats why I felt that somewhere above 10 but below 13 would be fair for a car like that. maybe I'm wrong? is the bottom lower? higher?

Impounded

maple red metallic
    2000 firebird formula

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    a car is worth what you're willing to pay for it. I think the dealers will be happy to play pricing games with you for a few grand, but like JohnB said-some people are willing to buy em on the spot and they know that. I saw 2 trans ams in 2 different car lots near by. They were there for 3 weeks each.
    that is just what i was thinking....i drooled over the ls1 cars for two years after i sold my 95 formula t/a ..i finally saved up what i thought was enough money for a down payment (2500) and went lookin for a ls1 t/a...after a week of combing the houston area and autotrader....i found a shithole carlot that had a 2000 firebird formula...which i mistook for a v6 car...but i checked it out anyway...ls1 it was....bought it on the spot even though it wasnt a trans am...its what was under the hood that mattered....the car had 106k on the clock and after financing the total came out to $9000....which to some may consider a little pricey....but i wanted one bad and since all the mechanics of the car checked out and the interior was very nice i figured why not....it makes me happy every time i look at it.

White
    2002 Ponitac Trans Am WS6

I bought mine new and didn't bother to haggle on price. Its what I wanted and its what i got. After the first test drive it was love at first sight. The commercial didn't help either the Black TA at the light,remember. I had to have one.

2002 WS6 Trans Am
    Mods To Many To Mention.
    The Money Pit

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Expect to pay about 15k for what your are looking for. 01-02 WS6 with less than 50k miles.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Maybe my problem is that i haven't driven one yet. my neighbors boyfriend has an 02 sunset orange Z28 A4. not quite an M6 WS6 but i should prob try getting some wheel time. If 15k really is the floor i am about halfway to getting there. Not quite sure I want to blow that kind of dough working part time..... 10-12 sounded a bit more bearable maybe because 10 would be like a stones throw away.

Impounded

maple red metallic
    2000 firebird formula

theres some occasions where you can find them in the range you are looking for....i looked for two years as stated in my previous post...ive seen a lot of good deals with low milage...i just didnt have the cash.....did a lot of online window shopping ...keep your eye on the auto trader site...craigslist as well..be patient cause that deal you are waiting for will come along.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

price isnt gonna go down because of gas. people will just hold on to their birds until gas goes down and people want to buy v8s again

i just got my 00 ws6 for 12,700. with only 54k on it. you just have to keep looking and you'll find one

red/black
    02 WS6/96 VR4/07 ZX10R

don't know if this will help, but I agree with everyone so far. Test drove one about a year ago and had to have one. I've been price shopping since nov. 2007 and there have been a few WS6's that have sold with A4's for as low as
    13,500 in colors I could car less about. But mine had to be RED with black guts, M6, t tops, and under 50k on the ticker. So I found one out of state and bought it. At 17k for a 2002 ws6 in the color I wanted with 44k I think I got a deal. Good luck in your hunt!!

There only worth what your willing to pay for them!! And then you'll probably never get what you think there worth!!

Red
    2001 ws6

good deals ARE out there, you just have to be patient, theres currently one for sale in ny, a 98 z28 with 13k miles for 11k.....m6, be patient and ull find what your looking for

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

thank you for all the comments! Today ended up being an extra special surprise with the stimulus package being deposited along with my usual last day of the month paycheck. sure its a one time thing but it makes me feel a whole heck of a lot closer to taking care of the first half of the equation.... $$

Black
    2002 Pontiac Firebird

Hey well 10 to 12k for a ws6...so it'd be about 8k to 10k for a T/A?? I'm lookin to go to Dallas once i get back from this deployment, and trade in my 2000 Altima...i guess i could go to houston if i had to but i planned on spending 8 to 10k and the trade in on my altima...if i could get a ws6 for that...that'd be great as well but i'd just as well settle for the T/A

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yes, I agree with most of these views on price. Just be patient and get what you really want. I bought a '98 TA AT car, liked it ok but really wanted a WS6 M6. Finally go that, now I have no more desire for another car.

black
    2002 ws6 TA

I agree it has got to be what you want I would not settle for anything less. I had never driven a ta but I knew i wanted one and i knew excatly the one i wanted. I found it on the internet drove to DFW test drove it and within an hour was driving it home. Listening to some of the numbers people are paying i probably payed to much but it doesn't really bother me because it is the funnest car i have ever driven and looking at it my garage is such a great feeling

Red
    2001 ws6

agreed, i might have slightly over paid for mine as well, however, its EXACLTY what i wanted, so the extra 1,000 lets say i paid to me is worth it

Still Too Young To Care

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    I have done some bit of analysis of the prices on ebay and when you really look into it people have been asking more and more, which is common for summer months, but getting less and less. as it stands now cars that meet my criteria of being 99-02 manual trans sell fewer than 3 out of 15 on ebay when looking at completed auctions and that is not counting ones that "sell" only to be relisted meaning the real number of cars that actually find buyers at the current prices is even fewer. I really think that fuel prices are killing the market for V8's in general collectible or not. My father has a 1992 Mark VII LSC on ebay right now 2,000 or best offer. the car is as close to perfect as a 16 year old daily driver can be. it was repainted and still shines like factory fresh all the plastic like the headlights had been replaced.... Even all the chrome is new. he hasn't gotten an offer anywhere near 2,000 yet after over a week on ebay.

My "Gut" tells me that a fair value for what I'm looking for would be somewhere in the 10-12,500 range. this is considering that many sub 70k mile 00+ WS6's never even get bid over 13,000 (reserve never met of course). So the reason I ask here is to determine what the community feels about values like these when the book value is obviously much greater. I too feel the hit knowing that book for my car is close to 6k but i'd be lucky if i got 2k even if it weren't damaged.

As for the durability I'm glad to hear the cars are solid so long as you aren't causing lung cancer in nearby pedestrians I wouldn't be the type to dump the clutch from a stopsign every block and spend several thousand in tires per year. I tend to just like the music of the engine when you jump on it from a 40-50 roll on the highway and scare nearby honduhs. of course when the urge hits me i'd still like to partake in some shenanigans once in a while so i'm glad to know that so long as i'm not dumping on the rear i should be ok.

Bit of a long post but one more aside. My sister recently bought a 99 Ford ZX2, are we seeing a family trend yet lol. she paid 1,500 for it with under 100k on the odo. book for her model and options came to over 3k. i tease her that she should just crash it and trade up

Your only taking into consideration the ones that sell on ebay. For instance I just found my 99 TA on there but it was about six hours away and I wasn't about to pay for a car I hadn't seen so he took it off ebay and I payed him in cash after checking the car out. Cars sell all the time after auctions end or like in the case I bought mine.

Thread Information