Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am

I want to put on wider tires and cant!!

So i have 285/40/17 all around and i have the old school ZR1 chrome rims on it. I asked my brother (who put those rims on) why he didnt put on those rims but in 315s in the back. He said in order to put on that wide of a tire you need to take out a stopper and modify the wheel wells. Well sometimes when i take a turn hard (even with the 285s) and the tires spin i can hear rubbing or something back there. So this past week i lifted my car and took my back tires off to see whats going on, I saw that the tire sometimes does rub because there is a very small shiny part at the front of the back wheel well where it rubs. So can i put on 315s or no because of this???

NBM
    1999 Formula ws6

Is it rubbing on both sides? If not a adjustable panhard bar will center you rear end and allow you to run the bigger tires without rubbing.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bouigha123 View Post
    Is it rubbing on both sides? If not a adjustable panhard bar will center you rear end and allow you to run the bigger tires without rubbing.
    This will help but the offset of the wheel is a bigger factor. On a 17x9 wheel you shouldn't really be running anything wider than a 275 anyway. 285 is about as wide as I would push it. Buy a new set from OEWheels. You can get them in 17x9 for the front and 17x11 in the rear with the correct offset to avoid rubbing.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I am pretty new to this new car tech, I am an ol' school muscle car guy. Big tires to me were G70-15 bias ply tires on steel wheels. That being said, my 02 Camaro SS has 275/40-17 Z rated tires. I would never see the benefit to wider tires unless the suspension was completely upgraded and it were on a track. Maybe I'm just old but my car has all most people want in a performance car and bigger, wider wheels and tires just don't make sense to me. JMO
    Last edited by 2002ssslp; 10-30-2011 at 04:04 PM.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    I am pretty new to this new car tech, I am an ol' school muscle car guy. Big tires to me were G70-15 bias ply tires on steel wheels. That being said, my 02 Camaro SS has 275/40-17 Z rated tires. I would never see the benefit to wider tires unless the suspension was completely upgraded and it were on a track. Maybe I'm just old but my car has all most people want in a performance car and bigger, wider wheels and tires just don't make sense to me. JMO
    I can say the reason that I have big wheels in tires is not for performance but is for aesthetics.

I ran 285's on my stock 17x9 wheels without any issues at all. In my opinion it's the perfect size for this rim width. It gives you a little sidewall bulge for rim protection, and just looks better as well. I never really liked the look of 275's on the 17x9. In my opinion that's about as small as I would go
    Looks like you are trying to suck the tires out to the wheels, I never really liked the appearance of that.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Do the 285's rub in the front from lock to lock ?

Nope, never had that issue. But my stuff has always been at stock ride height too. Not sure what would happen if it were lowered, as that seems to be the case with so many.
    I can pile 4 people in the car without issues though, does that count as lowered

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    I can say the reason that I have big wheels in tires is not for performance but is for aesthetics.
    I had them for performance.
    The most contact patch I could get was needed....

And it looked good.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

just hit the inner fender,,,thats the only thing that works,, i got a adj panhard bar, doesn't do shit,,,

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I had them for performance.
    The most contact patch I could get was needed....

And it looked good.
    I wish I had them for performance but for now the 315s are just for looks. Hopefully in the near future I will be able to say I need them in order to hook up as well.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    just hit the inner fender,,,thats the only thing that works,, i got a adj panhard bar, doesn't do shit,,,
    The adj. pan hard bar definitely helped me. I was rubbing only on the driver side when I was running my 18x10.5 DD C6 Z06 wheels with 295s lowered (eibach prokit). I installed the adj. panhard bar and now am running 18x11 wheels with 315s lowered on stranos with no mods and have no issues. The adj. panhard bar really brought the rear back towards the left side of the car.

The adj. pan hard bar definitely helped me. I was rubbing only on the driver side when I was running my 18x10.5 DD C6 Z06 wheels with 295s lowered (eibach prokit). I installed the adj. panhard bar and now am running 18x11 wheels with 315s lowered on stranos with no mods and have no issues. The adj. panhard bar really brought the rear back towards the left side of the car.
    When you start raising or lowering the car, you definately need that adjustable panhard because the rear will shift. Goofy setup.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    When you start raising or lowering the car, you definately need that adjustable panhard because the rear will shift. Goofy setup.
    what's a goofy set up? how the rear shifts?

what's a goofy set up? how the rear shifts?
    I meant the rear suspension in general. Torque arms, panhard bars etc...somewhat expensive to make changes on.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I meant the rear suspension in general. Torque arms, panhard bars etc...somewhat expensive to make changes on.
    No doubt in that. Change one thing and you really should change it all. Can really add up if you do it right and use companies like UMI or BMR.

Thread Information